Felt the Urge

Started by Jbes, October 28, 2013, 04:54:41 PM

I felt the urge to say, why did I not find this game sooner. For years, I have been scouring text-based MMO's, Forum RP's, and even email RP's to see if I could find something as interactive as this game is. I just need to say thank you to the creators for fulfilling such an ambitious concept and allowing the masses the opportunity to enjoy this MUD.

Anywho, on my first character. Looking forward to dying a poetic or epic death, that seems to be the key-point of this game from lurking through the GDB.

Poetic or epic? You're in the wrong game.

An empty, hollow shelled death where you're left screaming "WHY!? WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME!?"

That's more like it.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: Jbes on October 28, 2013, 04:54:41 PM
I felt the urge to say, why did I not find this game sooner. For years, I have been scouring text-based MMO's, Forum RP's, and even email RP's to see if I could find something as interactive as this game is. I just need to say thank you to the creators for fulfilling such an ambitious concept and allowing the masses the opportunity to enjoy this MUD.

Anywho, on my first character. Looking forward to dying a poetic or epic death, that seems to be the key-point of this game from lurking through the GDB.

This is exactly how I felt years ago when I made my first character, after wandering through 20+ muds in a span of a couple of years.

I'd encourage you to use the helpers and helper chat for all of your questions!  They're fabulous, and the docs here are quite extensive.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: evilcabbage on October 28, 2013, 05:19:13 PM

An empty, hollow shelled death where you're left screaming "WHY!? WHY DID THIS HAPPEN TO ME!?"

That's more like it.

Yes, this is exactly what I feel each time... Maybe hurts more, but at the same time is interesting, that I'm pretty sure two of these have been staff animated, just for me, and somewhat amusing... BUT I STILL WANT MY CHARACTER BACK!!! WAAAAAAH!!! Ok, that said, still loving the game... It's a bit flattering that they would take time out to actually pay attention to what I'm doing and give me a few emotes before they murder my character. (no, please don't do it again, at least, not until I'm so invested in the character I want to throw something when you do)

:'(
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

October 28, 2013, 07:54:29 PM #4 Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 07:57:28 PM by Jbes
Quote from: evilcabbage on October 28, 2013, 05:19:13 PM

That's more like it.

I guess my idea of a poetic or epic death is falling off the shield wall and bleeding out, while gaping in exctasy at the awesomeness of this game. Or when trying to burglar an apartment, I hop out the upper window with goods in my hands and accidentally trip on the sill and splat head first on the ground, bleeding out.

I have played various MUD's, and all of them do not compare to the complexity or defined history that this does. Not to mention I have ran into a handful of them that are severely understaffed and have stagnated severely. What falls into unepic for me is the fact that a lot of the MUD's I have played the PC's are usually epic warriors, or legendary hero's of some sort. This game relates more to the fact that one person can never expect to achieve that in a characters lifetime (Disincluding Magik user roles, and templars).

Other MUD's Particularly H/S
Leads to gameplay that gets boring do to the fact you can enter an area kill a bunch of NPC's and at the end of the day walk into a public gathering area and act as if that is no big deal, simply put because everybody in those type of games can do it just as easily as you.

I have had epic and poetic deaths.

Course I am one normally looking forward to the next PC...so the death of one is simply means I get to unwrap a new shiny PC.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Welcome, Jbes!

Out of curiousity, how'd you find us?
subdue thread
release thread pit

It was a awhile back actually. January 2012, I found this game through TOP 100 MUD sites or something along those lines. I was sick of graphical games that were simple h/s. I have tried my fair share of text based games, was bored of the same old same old grinding. So I looked into MUD's which peaked my interest because MUD's advertised more freedom and creativity in shaping your own path. So I ran into Armageddon, lots of great reviews etc etc. I created my current character, and was a little put off by the walls of text, and at the time I just could not get into the game deeply. Now I am back, for shits and giggles played this character for more then an hour and instantly fell in love with the game. The atmosphere and everything. I joined the Bynn, and have thoroughly enjoyed it for the week or so I have been playing, which is to say I am playing pretty intently right now.

I played the crap out of GS3, then Inferno before coming to Arm.  I've found Arm to be a very engaging, and welcome, experience.  Glad you find the same.  My only regret was not sticking with it the first time a player invited me to join some years ago.

Quote from: Kryos on October 28, 2013, 10:18:24 PM
I played the crap out of GS3, then Inferno before coming to Arm.  I've found Arm to be a very engaging, and welcome, experience.  Glad you find the same.  My only regret was not sticking with it the first time a player invited me to join some years ago.

I can relate, when I left for a year and a half forgetting about this game. I wish I just sat down a little longer and gave the game more of a chance a year ago.

October 28, 2013, 10:59:27 PM #10 Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 11:01:20 PM by WithSprinkles
Oh, I played GS3 too! Then some IRE game. I'm enjoying it a lot here now. It's really interesting here.
Smooth Sands,
Maristen Kadius, Solace the Bard, Paxter (Jump), Numii Arabet, and the rest.

I so wubbles all you new players.
Thank you for the boots. nomnomnom.

I see you were put off by the walls of text, it is a bit daunting.
Do you know about "brief room" ?
And would this have likely increased your ease of playing the game if it was enabled or more mentioned upon starting the game?

Quote from: Yasbusta on October 29, 2013, 06:30:47 AM
I so wubbles all you new players.
Thank you for the boots. nomnomnom.

I see you were put off by the walls of text, it is a bit daunting.
Do you know about "brief room" ?
And would this have likely increased your ease of playing the game if it was enabled or more mentioned upon starting the game?

If I had know about this feature it would of definitely eased me into the game a lot better. However, at the time I did not play more then an hour, and an hour sitting at the Gaj at that. Also being new at MUD's at the time, the command structure on how to do actions and such, looked like it would take a lot of getting used to, which at the time I did not have the patience to do so. Now that I look back, if I had spent another thirty-minutes reading through all the FAQ's, I would've stayed.

man - that's just how i felt so many years ago.  glad you're here.

Quote from: DustMight on October 29, 2013, 02:42:37 PM

Thanks!
I am looking forward to further immersing myself into the lore. Not to mention I have an aspiration to eventually, whether this character or the next, learn more about the secrets of the universe. Some other MUD's, in the forums people would spoil these types of discoveries for the new players, I am glad this game maintains a strict policy of not doing that.

Welcome to the game!  It's always great to hear from new players that are just discovering what makes this game and world so special.

Quote from: Jbes on October 29, 2013, 08:39:30 PM
Quote from: DustMight on October 29, 2013, 02:42:37 PM

Thanks!
I am looking forward to further immersing myself into the lore. Not to mention I have an aspiration to eventually, whether this character or the next, learn more about the secrets of the universe. Some other MUD's, in the forums people would spoil these types of discoveries for the new players, I am glad this game maintains a strict policy of not doing that.

Sorry to ruin the game, but in reality, Cabbage's rule all of Zalanthas.

Cabbages that are evil. Like me.

I rule Zalanthas.

In all actuality, however, yes. I can't tell you how often I've discovered something, on my own, and... wow. Just. Wow. It really is an amazing world, and Staff sure do know how to bring it to life (and scare the everloving shit out of you).

Quote from: Jbes on October 29, 2013, 08:39:30 PM

Thanks!

The best part is, whereas in other games there may be a point you reach where you're 'done' discovering things, in Armageddon, I can almost guarantee you that there will always be something you don't know!

Enjoy. (=

This is such a feel good thread, and serves as direct evidence of how well the Byn works to hook (some) people into the game. I am glad you enjoy the mercenary role. Mercs are the heart and soul of Zalanthas, as they live only for their own survival at the direct expense of others'. The Byn life is the embodiment of Zalanthan living in other ways too, for instance in how important cooperation is for success. By joining the Byn with a PC, you guarantee yourself that you will experience every important side to a complete PC life.

Not joining the Byn doesn't mean that you can't enjoyably play out a fleshed out PC in the setting, but you will need to fill in some gaps yourself and it can be very challenging.

I hope you have some friends you can get as hooked as you, as that is how the community grows.

Thanks and I hope to see you in game sometime. Maybe on the same side as the bloodbath, maybe not. But I sense we'll both enjoy it.  8)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on October 30, 2013, 02:59:29 AM
This is such a feel good thread, and serves as direct evidence of how well the Byn works to hook (some) people into the game. I am glad you enjoy the mercenary role. Mercs are the heart and soul of Zalanthas, as they live only for their own survival at the direct expense of others'. The Byn life is the embodiment of Zalanthan living in other ways too, for instance in how important cooperation is for success. By joining the Byn with a PC, you guarantee yourself that you will experience every important side to a complete PC life.

Not joining the Byn doesn't mean that you can't enjoyably play out a fleshed out PC in the setting, but you will need to fill in some gaps yourself and it can be very challenging.

I hope you have some friends you can get as hooked as you, as that is how the community grows.

Thanks and I hope to see you in game sometime. Maybe on the same side as the bloodbath, maybe not. But I sense we'll both enjoy it.  8)

The Bynn truly has a good set of unique players. I joined simply because I felt being apart of it would help engage me further. After this character, I will no doubt create a more independent character who directly involves himself in plots of his own. Obviously, I have not experienced enough of the nuiances of this game, but I feel by the end of this character I will be able to throw myself into the middle of some of the heavier plots. Who knows though, maybe I am proved wrong with my character. We shall see.

November 02, 2013, 08:07:30 PM #20 Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:09:43 PM by Voular
My first Bynner was commended by his Lieutenant on a dangerous animal hunt. Made serious hunter rank in Kadius. Survived weezers, templar shake-downs and other various Allanaki dangers. Joined the Militia, served under one of the more famous Lieutenants there. Died trying to save a prostitute in the 'rinth, in a dark room with the evil of the night creeping up on him.
(Or maybe I am mixing up a couple of my first characters, whatever. Story is sorta true.)

Got both good and bad notes from staff. Everyone was welcoming, understanding and really nice (OOCly of course).

Put your chalton boots by the door, sir, and welcome in.
Modern concepts of fair trials and justice are simply nonexistent in Zalanthas. If you are accused, you are guilty until someone important decides you might be useful. It doesn't really matter if you did it or not.

Quote from: Voular on November 02, 2013, 08:07:30 PM
My first Bynner was commended by his Lieutenant on a dangerous animal hunt. Made serious hunter rank in Kadius. Survived weezers, templar shake-downs and other various Allanaki dangers. Joined the Militia, served under one of the more famous Lieutenants there. Died trying to save a prostitute in the 'rinth, in a dark room with the evil of the night creeping up on him.
(Or maybe I am mixing up a couple of my first characters, whatever. Story is sorta true.)

Got both good and bad notes from staff. Everyone was welcoming, understanding and really nice (OOCly of course).

Put your chalton boots by the door, sir, and welcome in.

Will do!

When I can afford them, for now I will put my smelly dirty shoes by the door.

I felt the same way when I first came to Arm. I had never played muds or done RP before, so there was a learning curve, but it sucked me right in. I think I got really lucky that a wandering Byn sergeant smelled the noob on me and strong armed my character into the Byn.  :) And you never know what your first character may be capable of. Mine lived for almost a year, became a sergeant, and had minor roles in some bigass RPTs and plots. Aaaaand then he died because my newbish self didn't know the way to Red Storm. Apologies to the poor trooper I dragged along for that!

Anyway, welcome and glad you're enjoying the game, Jbes.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on November 03, 2013, 05:28:12 PM
I felt the same way when I first came to Arm. I had never played muds or done RP before, so there was a learning curve, but it sucked me right in. I think I got really lucky that a wandering Byn sergeant smelled the noob on me and strong armed my character into the Byn.  :) And you never know what your first character may be capable of. Mine lived for almost a year, became a sergeant, and had minor roles in some bigass RPTs and plots. Aaaaand then he died because my newbish self didn't know the way to Red Storm. Apologies to the poor trooper I dragged along for that!

Anyway, welcome and glad you're enjoying the game, Jbes.
Oh, look at that, a Byn Sergeant who doesn't know the way to somewhere.

I got drawn in by Red Fangs, and mages. I think my experience was a bit more -odd- than other peoples first starting experience, but the thing that really hooked me was the way a Templar took ALL my bloody starting coin out of my pack and dropped it in the jail cell I was stashed in. This was, like, three years ago. I was like "please let me back in for my coins?" "no."

Quote from: evilcabbage on November 05, 2013, 01:07:38 AM
Quote from: Zoltan on November 03, 2013, 05:28:12 PM
Aaaaand then he died because my newbish self didn't know the way to Red Storm. Apologies to the poor trooper I dragged along for that!
Oh, look at that, a Byn Sergeant who doesn't know the way to somewhere.

Don't make fun of gamer direction sense! I'm in 12 years collectively and STILL couldn't navigate from Nak to Storm or Luir's or Tuluk. I'm lucky I can get from the Dragon to the dung seller. Don't even get me talking about navigating through Tuluk.

Dear Newbie,

Welcome. I can't guarantee I won't have you killed at some point or another, or love you at some point or another, or steal your bootses at some point or another BUT The Byn rocks and you can learn lots in there. I got sucked in by the Byn, guided by a really nice Staff that pitied my starving character. Best decision I ever made.  Keep strong! Roleplay On!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.