Can I make that?!?

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, October 28, 2013, 01:25:59 AM

Currently:
Made of horn, the wiggly shape of the dagger produces a lot of curves that
sharpen into a pointed tip. The handle is simply a long sheet of leather strapped
around the blunt thick end of the horn. 
A wiggly duskhorn dagger can be hooked onto a belt.
You test its weight and decide that you could use it.
You could use this for skinning.
It would be too small to wear on your back.
A wiggly duskhorn dagger would work well for skinning. (Either this or the other skinning message needs to go, but, I digress.)
A wiggly duskhorn dagger seems to be a piercing weapon.
A wiggly duskhorn dagger would seem to cost about 105 obsidian pieces.
A wiggly duskhorn dagger would seem to weigh 1 stone.

Proposed:
Made of horn, the wiggly shape of the dagger produces a lot of curves that
sharpen into a pointed tip. The handle is simply a long sheet of leather strapped
around the blunt thick end of the horn. 
A wiggly duskhorn dagger can be hooked onto a belt.
You test its weight and decide that you could use it.
You could use this for skinning.
It would be too small to wear on your back.
A wiggly duskhorn dagger seems to be a piercing weapon.
A wiggly duskhorn dagger would seem to cost about 105 obsidian pieces.
A wiggly duskhorn dagger would seem to weigh 1 stone.
You could probably make that one day. (Here's the addition.)

Basically, you run the value skill already when you view an item and possess the value skill. Run an analyze too, and return that either you can make it, might be able to make it one day, or can't make it.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

What is the point of this?   Is it to explain how long something will take to craft it?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I'd prefer:
You have an idea how to make that but aren't sure. (Or whatever that message is)

I'm not sure noncrafty people should know that something is craftable but that's another matter.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

The point of the idea is to let a person who makes that sort of an item, ie a merchant out subguild crafter, that it's worth buying so you can get a close enough look to know what the materials are.

And people without the relevant craft wouldn't know anything about it and wouldn't get an echo, much like people without the value skill don't get the worth and weight messages.

So to clarify this is a change to the view code that is used in shops. Not necesarily the value or analyze skill.

Quote from: Timetwister on October 28, 2013, 01:22:30 PM
So to clarify this is a change to the view code that is used in shops. Not necesarily the value or analyze skill.

As I understand it, yes. It is basically appending the "view item" code to include a line with a modified "analyze item" result. The modification would be:

if you can already craft it, you would -not- see the actual recipe. You would, instead, get a line saying "You think you can replicate this."

All the other "analyze" results would show up on the "view item" list however they normally show up when you analyze an item in your inventory.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yes this is suggested for the view # command in shops.

Adding something based off the analyze command (even if it's just a craftable/non-craftable split) in shops would be a great fix for what's currently a weird OOC inconvenience - having to buy something to find out that while logically you should be able to craft it, it happens not to have a crafting recipe. It's particularly galling if it's a simple item made wholly out of a very common material, but those are at least cheap mistakes.

So - I like this idea.

I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?