A Detailed List of Races/Skills/Guild/Sub-Guilds...

Started by Mad Max, October 14, 2013, 03:39:05 PM

Quote from: Lizzie on October 15, 2013, 02:03:42 PM
You didn't type six lines. You typed in one line that was six lines long. The line breaks aren't automatic. You have to manually insert them by hitting the enter key. What I'd recommend, is type out what you want in notepad, and size your notepad to accommodate the appropriate length -per line-. Then, copy and paste each line, one at a time, to the chargen buffer, separating each one with the enter key.

Alternately, you could paste one sentence at a time, adding <enter> *after the space after the period* at the end of each sentence. Always do period, space, and THEN enter. When you're all finished, type .f (that's period f, no space). That'll format the whole thing so it all falls into a single paragraph with no weird spacing.

I see... thank you.  I will have to remember that if my submission gets denied again... do they usually tell you why they refused it however?
Today is a good day to die...

Never mistake my kindess for a weakness...

*emote grabs hand full of sand "We are born of the desert, we return to the desert..." *emote Releases the sand and watches as it falls on corpse slowly drifting

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 15, 2013, 07:07:06 PM
You didn't type six lines. You typed in one line that was six lines long. The line breaks aren't automatic. You have to manually insert them by hitting the enter key. What I'd recommend, is type out what you want in notepad, and size your notepad to accommodate the appropriate length -per line-. Then, copy and paste each line, one at a time, to the chargen buffer, separating each one with the enter key.

Alternately, you could paste one sentence at a time, adding <enter> *after the space after the period* at the end of each sentence. Always do period, space, and THEN enter. When you're all finished, type .f (that's period f, no space). That'll format the whole thing so it all falls into a single paragraph with no weird spacing.

I see... thank you.  I will have to remember that if my submission gets denied again... do they usually tell you why they refused it however?

From what I've seen in game, they do not always require proper formatting for character descriptions. However if your description got cut off in the middle because you typed too much in one line (there's a maximum) they really have no choice but to reject you.

By the by, I've gotten characters approved with formatting errors. You can just wish up to have them corrected usually.

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 15, 2013, 07:07:06 PM

Staff will usually send comments with a rejection notice, yeah.

Re: dying, there aren't rampant bands of killers running lose in all areas of the game. Cities, for the most part, are safe enough, because soldiers patrol the streets and will arrest criminals. In the deserts and certain seedier sections of town, though, you'll find no such luxury.
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: Narf on October 15, 2013, 07:19:02 PM

From what I've seen in game, they do not always require proper formatting for character descriptions. However if your description got cut off in the middle because you typed too much in one line (there's a maximum) they really have no choice but to reject you.

By the by, I've gotten characters approved with formatting errors. You can just wish up to have them corrected usually.

I got approved on my second try, but found every part of my descriptions; long, short and background changed completely... I now look to be about the same (Or exact...) as the guy in the communication room in the newbie town.   :-\

*emote grabs hand full of sand "We are born of the desert, we return to the desert..." *emote Releases the sand and watches as it falls on corpse slowly drifting

Quote from: Jherlen on October 15, 2013, 07:38:27 PM

Re: dying, there aren't rampant bands of killers running lose in all areas of the game. Cities, for the most part, are safe enough, because soldiers patrol the streets and will arrest criminals. In the deserts and certain seedier sections of town, though, you'll find no such luxury.

Where do they send the comments to; email or when you actually try to connect to the game?  I did not notice anything in game and I have not bothered to check my email yet.  And thank you for the insight.  I got approved my second attmept, although they changed my descriptions to I guess a defualt one and I started in the Farming Town, Red Village or something or other...

October 15, 2013, 09:39:50 PM #55 Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 09:43:39 PM by Jherlen
Quote from: NewPlayer on October 15, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

Where do they send the comments to; email or when you actually try to connect to the game?  I did not notice anything in game and I have not bothered to check my email yet.  And thank you for the insight.  I got approved my second attmept, although they changed my descriptions to I guess a defualt one and I started in the Farming Town, Red Village or something or other...

They send comments to the email address on your account. Usually they won't talk to you directly in game. Sometimes staff members do rewrite backgrounds / descs for newbies in order to help you get into the game and not be stuck in character generation for too long. I'd check your email, I bet they left comments.

Did you get to 'point' at what town you wanted to start in when you got into the game? You should have started in a newbie zone and picked your starting location from there. Shoulda picked Allanak or Tuluk, RS is... a bit more hard mode. :P
subdue thread
release thread pit

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 15, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

Where do they send the comments to; email or when you actually try to connect to the game?  I did not notice anything in game and I have not bothered to check my email yet.  And thank you for the insight.  I got approved my second attmept, although they changed my descriptions to I guess a defualt one and I started in the Farming Town, Red Village or something or other...

Rewriting your description is something staff occasionally does for new players. I think it was the general consensus that going back and forth about what was allowable with someone that had never played before would be more discouraging than having their background and description edited. And yes, almost all communication with staff will be through your email account.

It's actually very nice of staff, it's hard to write a background that fits in with the game world, they were very kind when it came to my first few rewrites, the next few I wrote while plastered and they were even kind about telling me how those can be fixed, gently poking me in the direction of creating an acceptable character. They're actually very, very thoughtful and considerate when it comes down to it. Drunk, in love with everyone mood right now, so I have to refrain from trying to advise because it won't be very informative, and likely wrong.

Maybe one day I will be a good RPer... A goal to work toward while I deal with being a reckless, destructive jerk.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Jherlen on October 15, 2013, 09:39:50 PM
They send comments to the email address on your account. Usually they won't talk to you directly in game. Sometimes staff members do rewrite backgrounds / descs for newbies in order to help you get into the game and not be stuck in character generation for too long. I'd check your email, I bet they left comments.

Did you get to 'point' at what town you wanted to start in when you got into the game? You should have started in a newbie zone and picked your starting location from there. Shoulda picked Allanak or Tuluk, RS is... a bit more hard mode. :P

I did initially go to the newbie area first and did as much of the tutorial as I could do as far as I am aware of.  (Which was extremely short by the way...)  I even went to the main website and read through each city that was offered, besides 'rinth that was obviously a bad choice, (And someone else mentioned it as well...) most others spoke of corrupt soldiers and Templars in most of the other cities.  The only reasonable area in my mind was RS, since I actually do like farming and it said it did not put up with thieves and murderers.  I just heard traveling to and fro was hard, but I figured I could hitch a ride.   :D

Quote from: Narf on October 15, 2013, 10:17:15 PM
Rewriting your description is something staff occasionally does for new players. I think it was the general consensus that going back and forth about what was allowable with someone that had never played before would be more discouraging than having their background and description edited. And yes, almost all communication with staff will be through your email account.

Oh ok, I will have to check my email then.  Yea, I was a little disheartened and even upset when I first saw it changed.  I was like, what the hell!?  I thought maybe they were playing a joke on me.  But then I thought I can just go into this game and learn about it and if I screw up I can always try again latter, hopefully I can just reuse my name again.

October 15, 2013, 11:25:51 PM #60 Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 11:28:34 PM by NewPlayer
Quote from: Quirk on October 15, 2013, 02:05:51 PM
I'll echo a strong recommendation not to start with a half-elf. There is a steep learning curve with this game. The code is a complex beast, figuring out how to interact with the game world in a way that promotes your continued survival is a challenge, and getting to grips with the customs of the various places takes work. People attempt to remain in character at all times; at its best, this game is like being stuck in an enthralling book, the story unfolding page by page as you write your character into it. This is mostly a good thing, even a great thing, but one consequence that arises from it is that starting from a position where other characters have reason to despise you and ignore you is extremely hard. The players might wish to aid you, particularly if it's obvious that your problems stem from lack of knowledge as a player, but they can only bend their characters so far. As a half-elf, you will likely learn a lot less than you would as a human, because you will have fewer allies with opportunity to teach you.

Permadeath however is less scary than you might think. I know where you're coming from. A long time ago, coming to my first permadeath Role Play Intensive MUD, I joined out of curiosity as much as anything else: the whispered word among those who told me of it was that it was crazy, that your character could just die and then... that was it. Once you learn to appreciate what permadeath does for a game though, you won't want to go back. Where politics in other games can descend into banal schoolyard drama, no-one able to do more than inconvenience their foes, long-term rivals locked in interminable conflict until someone gets bored and gives up, in Armageddon changes in power can be swift and sudden and brutal. Someone who was feared as a tyrant and seemed invincible can perish in a moment, cut down with a dagger in their back. Plots - secrets - take on serious meaning. There is a thrill in talking to someone who, if they knew what you really were, would have you killed. You will not find this kind of immersion in many other places. And, when you die, you will have ideas for new characters crowding in, from things you've seen, things you've learned about, other characters you've met who've inspired you to think along new lines.

Few characters live to a ripe old age. If yours does, in some ways it matters little what guild you chose - if you chose to practice your guild's skills, you will be awesome at something. However, everyone starts out as comparatively inept. Subguilds give you a boosted start with a few skills, but the long-term maximum that can be achieved with a subguild skill is limited, unless it is also one of your main skills.

Speak with the helpers. It's what they're there for. And good luck.

I probably should have picked Human, I am just use to them being so ordinary in every other game.  I figured Half-Elf would give me more abilities in between the two, although I did hear about the racial tensions, I did not know how serious they actually were.  But I like a challange and usually being on my own.

PS. Come to Quark's.  Quark's is fun.  Come right now.  Don't walk, run!

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 15, 2013, 11:25:51 PM
although I did hear about the racial tensions, I did not know how serious they actually were.

;D

I feel like we should quote this on the website somewhere.
subdue thread
release thread pit

October 16, 2013, 02:31:13 AM #62 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 02:34:14 AM by NewPlayer
Quote from: Jherlen on October 16, 2013, 01:46:45 AM
Quote from: NewPlayer on October 15, 2013, 11:25:51 PM
although I did hear about the racial tensions, I did not know how serious they actually were.

;D

I feel like we should quote this on the website somewhere.

I do not think I like this game very much... I have wasted the last few hours just reading the long incredibly detailed and well written descriptions of weapons, armours and items!  I can only imagine how the real game will be like... I'll probably die in the middle of the street, not by a murderer or mugger, but by a horse drawn carriage as I get run over checking out this or that...   :D

In all seriousness though, I was trying really hard to be frugal and only buying the essentials, not being sure what lies beyond the arch way... and I bought a saw-toothed broadsword.  The description of 'view' did not mention it was one or two handed and when wielded says it is in my primary hand.  I can even wield a torch in the other so I assumed it was one/hand and a half sword and I could dual wield two.  (A falchion (sp) actually says you can wield in one hand, but it was too heavy for me and some kind of pole also available explained that it was indeed for two hands...) So I bought a second one, since I want my character to be a dual wielding nunchuck Abraham Lincoln sword Half-Elf.  But it wont allow me to do so.  I looked up 'es' as I recall and tried 'es sword', 'es broadsword' and 'es saw-toothed', but it refused to do it.  (Thinking about it now... I am 90% sure it was before I began wielding my torch in my other hand and only started wielding it to see if it could be done, since the second sword would not.)  I am a Ranger so I thought that was automatic and my attributes were Agility first so what is wrong?  Are the swords I chosen simply two handed only and if so, why can I still wield a torch in one hand while still holding the sword in the other?

Also is there a way to compare items on a list to each other or to what you already have?  View gives a description, but not how much more damage it can cause or how much damage it can with stand or how well it protects, although some items say it covers the back of the neck or the front of your nose etc.

And is there a way to put a string of items into a pack, while opening and closing it.  I thought I played a MUD way back when that used a semi colon, but I could be mistaken and each game seems to be different some times...  Like say I wanted to: 'open pack, put shirt pack, put pants pack, put torch pack, take hat pack, close pack'.  Also how do you put all of something like cakes that are stacked into a pack?  I had to keep doing it one at a time and 'all cakes pack' gave a weird message.  Thanks in advance.

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 16, 2013, 02:31:13 AM
And is there a way to put a string of items into a pack, while opening and closing it.  I thought I played a MUD way back when that used a semi colon, but I could be mistaken and each game seems to be different some times...  Like say I wanted to: 'open pack, put shirt pack, put pants pack, put torch pack, take hat pack, close pack'.  Also how do you put all of something like cakes that are stacked into a pack?  I had to keep doing it one at a time and 'all cakes pack' gave a weird message.  Thanks in advance.

It is like you thought:

'open pack;put shirt pack;put pants pack;...' etc.

Quote from: NewPlayer on October 16, 2013, 02:31:13 AMI looked up 'es' as I recall and tried 'es sword', 'es broadsword' and 'es saw-toothed', but it refused to do it.

What kind of message do you receive when you try to 'es' the weapon?  Some heavier one-handed weapons can only be wielded in the primary hand ('ep'), not the offhand ('es').  If that is the case you may need to find a lighter weapon for your secondary hand.  I don't recall the exact message given in this case, but it should be suitably informative.

There are some weapons out there that are not strictly two-handed, but have to be wielded in your primary hand.

How you managed to find two of them on your first go befuddles me-- they're not super common or often used as far as I know. >_>

Also, on weapon damages. The description and materials and overall craftsmanship will give you a pretty good idea on this, but be aware that "most expensive" doesn't necessarily mean "does most damage".

You can 'put all pack' to put everything in your inventory into your pack.  For stacks, you'd need to 'put all.<keyword> pack' -- so, if we're talking travel cakes, the command would be 'put all.cake pack'

I can't remember off of the top of my head whether 'put all pack' will work on coin stacks, but I have this nagging feeling that it doesn't, so if you were moving items and money, be sure to check and 'put coins pack.'  I can't test it out at the moment, unfortunately. 

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 16, 2013, 03:31:58 AM
There are some weapons out there that are not strictly two-handed, but have to be wielded in your primary hand.

How you managed to find two of them on your first go befuddles me-- they're not super common or often used as far as I know. >_>

Also, on weapon damages. The description and materials and overall craftsmanship will give you a pretty good idea on this, but be aware that "most expensive" doesn't necessarily mean "does most damage".
I suspect the way it works may be that you can wield heavier weapons in your primary hand than in your secondary hand, but the limits for each hand will be set from your strength. It's been a while since I've played about with this though.

I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

You should be able to use the assess command to get some more info about an object, including if you can/can't wield it, if it requires two hands, etc. It also tells you where you can wear it, for armor and clothing pieces. I believe the same info is shown when you 'view' the object at a shop, though.

Since the sword you bought is described as a broadsword, and those are usually big, and half-elves are not the strongest of folks, I'm guessing you may only be able to two-hand wield it. But, just to be sure, did you try and remove the torch you were holding in your offhand before you 'es'd your second sword?

PS: This is a desert world; horses do exist but they're very rare. You are unlikely to be run over by a horse-drawn carriage, but an inix-drawn wagon, a mekillot-drawn argosy, or just a crew of riders on war beetles are all plausible.
subdue thread
release thread pit

October 16, 2013, 01:11:17 PM #69 Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:42:31 PM by NewPlayer
Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on October 16, 2013, 02:44:38 AM

It is like you thought:

'open pack;put shirt pack;put pants pack;...' etc.

Oh... I think I was using spaces inbetween the commands... Code is fickle and one reason I do not code.   :-\

Edit: Ok I tried that. 'open pack;take broadsword (or sawtoothed or bone);close pack'  with out half quotations tells me it is not a direction.  And with half quotations it tells me this is an Out-of-Character room.  And spaces between semi colons does not seem to make the difference in error message.

Quote from: vissa on October 16, 2013, 04:08:08 AM
You can 'put all pack' to put everything in your inventory into your pack.  For stacks, you'd need to 'put all.<keyword> pack' -- so, if we're talking travel cakes, the command would be 'put all.cake pack'

I can't remember off of the top of my head whether 'put all pack' will work on coin stacks, but I have this nagging feeling that it doesn't, so if you were moving items and money, be sure to check and 'put coins pack.'  I can't test it out at the moment, unfortunately. 

So I have to put a 'period' (.) in the equation... That must have been it, 'all round pack' did not work, it only did one at a time.  Also I tried using the key words 'traveling' (traveler) and or 'cakes', but the game acted like it had no idea what I was talking about.  I do not think I had any thing else in my inventory that even remotely read as 'traveler' (traveling) and especially 'cakes'...

Also does putting coins in my pack, keep it safer?  I mean I am assuming no one can look into a closed pack, at least not ordinarily.  Also would I know if someone opened my pack to look?  I am sure there are pick pockets for a reason, and making your self a lesser mark is helpful, but just how technical does the game go?

Putting coins in your pack is the ultimate safehouse, so long as the pack remains on your back. No one else can open your pack but you if you have it in your inventory or are wearing it. Putting coins in your cloak/aba/whatever weird word your overcoat is called and then closing the cloak is as safe; basically, for as long as the cloak remains on your back. Just remember there is mugging in this game as well as simple pickpocketing.

I haven't seen a griefer pickpocket in a really long time. Like three years maybe. Pickpocket pcs tend to be pretty savvy about who to scavenge from, so just make yourself less of a target. Be clanned, don't wear silk or fine jewelry, even go full pauper in appearance. In the same vein, if you have figured the game out, at least with regards to riches, and have more money than you'll need for the near future and methods to attain more, carrying a lot of coins, some in your inventory, some in your open cloak etc. might end up helping a pickpocket pc get their daily dinner. Although honestly for a while you might want not to tempt the wolves.
Eat your fries with mayonnaise next time

Quote from: joyofdiscord on October 16, 2013, 02:58:58 AM
Quote from: NewPlayer on October 16, 2013, 02:31:13 AMI looked up 'es' as I recall and tried 'es sword', 'es broadsword' and 'es saw-toothed', but it refused to do it.

What kind of message do you receive when you try to 'es' the weapon?  Some heavier one-handed weapons can only be wielded in the primary hand ('ep'), not the offhand ('es').  If that is the case you may need to find a lighter weapon for your secondary hand.  I don't recall the exact message given in this case, but it should be suitably informative.

I just checked again, it tells me when I take the second one from my pack, that it is very lite.  I am assuming it means lite to me, a Half-Elf...  When I type 'es sawtoothed' it simply says "You can't hold this."  I checked my equipment and it shows only my primary hand being used with the first sawtoothed bone broadsword.  I am not holding a torch or anything in my off hand.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on October 16, 2013, 03:31:58 AM

I wanted to dual wield two swords and the falchion, although in fact told me it could be used with a one or two handed grip, also said it was too heavy, plus it was more expensive than a broad sword and I was trying to be realistically frugal in an unknown world, with out resorting to carrying knives...  So I stuck with the broadsword (Although it did not say it could be held in one hand, didn't say it could not either...) and now I can not dual wield it.  I played a game before, the name escapes me, that did some thing similar.  I was suppose to guess what the weapon did, like if it was in good condition or not and what it was made of, etc.  In this game I was using 'view' before I bought it and someone else mentioned using 'assess', assuming after I had bought it.  And as I already stated the 'skimmer pole' says out right that it is a two-handed weapon.

Quote from: i love toilets on October 16, 2013, 01:47:40 PM
Putting coins in your pack is the ultimate safehouse, so long as the pack remains on your back. No one else can open your pack but you if you have it in your inventory or are wearing it. Putting coins in your cloak/aba/whatever weird word your overcoat is called and then closing the cloak is as safe; basically, for as long as the cloak remains on your back. Just remember there is mugging in this game as well as simple pickpocketing.

I haven't seen a griefer pickpocket in a really long time. Like three years maybe. Pickpocket pcs tend to be pretty savvy about who to scavenge from, so just make yourself less of a target. Be clanned, don't wear silk or fine jewelry, even go full pauper in appearance. In the same vein, if you have figured the game out, at least with regards to riches, and have more money than you'll need for the near future and methods to attain more, carrying a lot of coins, some in your inventory, some in your open cloak etc. might end up helping a pickpocket pc get their daily dinner. Although honestly for a while you might want not to tempt the wolves.

Wait... putting coins in my back pack and my cloak with it closed is the ultimate safe house, but a pick pocket can still access it if they are skilled enough?  Or they are kept out permanently, unless of course they just mug me or kill me to take my coin?  Also can a pickpocket actually take my backpack when it is being worn or in inventory or my cloak off with me not even being aware of it?

I have my character bare bones for the most part and not just because I am starting either.  The cheapest of everything, regarding clothing that is and I try to have some form of defense like leggings and arm guards, etc.  However... just out of curiousity... it said in order for me to put on my leggings, since I guess it was attached to their own breeches... I had to remove my current pants.  Well I did that, no one "seemed" to be around, plus I was still in the OOC room.  But in game, will that catch some kind of offense or some other naughty even?

Also does the slitted eye goggles and or head scarf actually affect vision in the game or the over all health of the character or is that strictly for appearance?  I bought gogglesgles because they were cheep and sounded useful...