Archery at a distance

Started by Eyeball, October 08, 2013, 08:49:39 PM

October 08, 2013, 08:49:39 PM Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:03:33 AM by Eyeball
EDIT:
-----
Studying the archery help file, I was confused to read about not being able to hit anything at a distance.

After a while, I figured it out: you can use the keyword "distance" in place of a target to fire a warning shot, in which case it won't hit anything. If you specify a target, you have a chance to hit.
-----

Putting distance in quotes would help to clarify the help file. (Or changing the keyword to "warning").

Thanks to those who answered already.

When you type "Look West" you see what is [Very Far], [Far] and [Near]

With Archery instead of trying to "Shoot Eyeball West' and trying to hit you I could "Shoot Far West" and send a warning arrow into your area. What that bold line in your quote means is that I would never actually hit you if I "Shoot Far West"
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

As far as I can tell, it is saying that when you're "very far" away, you will not be able to actually hit a target.

If you have any questions, a quick test IG might solve the question (assuming that you have the right kinda class).
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I've never had to put in a distance before. I've tried it with and without and it doesn't change. I suppose if there were identical types of animals both far and very far you'd want to put in the distance.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

If you are shooting a thing (i.e. animal/person) you do not need to put a distance in.

If you want to send an arrow somewhere and purposefully not hit anything you can put a distance in and you will shoot an arrow into that area. For warning arrows or signal arrows.

Edit: As the help file says (which Eyeball edited out) if you use a distance instead of a target you can not hit anything.
This is not a new feature.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

October 09, 2013, 09:53:35 AM #5 Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:04:13 AM by Eyeball
Quote from: Bushranger on October 09, 2013, 12:54:22 AM
Edit: As the help file says (which Eyeball edited out) if you use a distance instead of a target you can not hit anything.
This is not a new feature.

Hey, it's new to me! But then, I still remember the sneering half-giant, the time when elementalists roamed freely, and the day they changed the code so that monsters would charge you from the next room (lots of dead PCs that day). So I'm basically farting dust now on a player age scale.