Taming mounts

Started by shadeoux, October 07, 2013, 05:57:14 PM

Should we be able to tame mounts without having to beable to ride them. (I.E. giants taming oxen or d-elves taming anything)

Yes
25 (56.8%)
No
16 (36.4%)
Maybe, see my post
1 (2.3%)
Maybe, I don't want to post
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

October 10, 2013, 03:15:14 PM #50 Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:19:30 PM by Lizzie
Quote from: Ourla on October 10, 2013, 02:52:35 PM
Quote from: janeshephard on October 07, 2013, 07:47:52 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 07, 2013, 07:24:18 PM
In all honesty taming should be a different skill than ride anyway. You don't ride a dog to tame it. We don't have dogs (we should) buy we do have pet objects. Taming could invoke a different skill and be a sub all of its own, allowing you to take smaller things and convert them into pet objects.

There's no beastmaster skill. Currently the ride skill lets you tame ridable beasts.

We have 'toks and I've seen at least one tame 'tok before in game. That required staff to create it though. It was some noble who had it IIRC.

It was my Lirathan templar, acksually.  She bought it from the Kuracis who bred it.

That wasn't a gortok. It was a specially-bred hybrid animal that was raised in a litter by humans (one of which was my PC). It wasn't "tamed" because it was never wild in the first place. However, it was also -not- amenable to humans until trained - and the training took months - not moments. And no one was trying to ride it. And - it was kept on a leash, and it was a vicious guard-animal that would've not hesitated to rip the throat out of anyone that it felt was a threat (or was ordered to do so by its handler).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'm with the opinion that taming should be independent of the ride skill, and the ability to mount the beast.

Mounting a beast is dependent on size/weight restrictions.

The ride skill actually determines how well you can manoeuver them - especially in difficult terrain or at high speeds.

Coupling the ride skill with the ability to tame mounts - leaves elves at a distinct disadvantage as an entire race.

I don't need to be able to ride a horse really well, to be able to trap a herd or a single horse - just so I can use it's meat/hide etc.

On the other hand - if I want to "break" the horse so that it will accept a rider, then yes - I need to be able to ride well.

There is a part of the Zalanthan population that definitely could use the ability to tame mounts, and use them as beasts of burden, or, for their meat/milk/hide/bones etc - that aren't currently able to do so ICLY.
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

Quote from: Incognito on October 10, 2013, 03:25:34 PM
I'm with the opinion that taming should be independent of the ride skill, and the ability to mount the beast.

Mounting a beast is dependent on size/weight restrictions.

The ride skill actually determines how well you can manoeuver them - especially in difficult terrain or at high speeds.

Coupling the ride skill with the ability to tame mounts - leaves elves at a distinct disadvantage as an entire race.

I don't need to be able to ride a horse really well, to be able to trap a herd or a single horse - just so I can use it's meat/hide etc.

On the other hand - if I want to "break" the horse so that it will accept a rider, then yes - I need to be able to ride well.

There is a part of the Zalanthan population that definitely could use the ability to tame mounts, and use them as beasts of burden, or, for their meat/milk/hide/bones etc - that aren't currently able to do so ICLY.

If desert elves PCs were not restricted to approved, coded tribes with coded encampments, where PCs could save items including dozens of mount tickets acquired through other means...I'd agree.

However, at the present time, there are only two desert elf tribes that are able to have PCs in them.  Both tribes traditionally have several (if not many) mount tickets sitting in their camps. And since they already have them, it stands to reason they managed to acquire them without having to tame a single one themselves.

I really don't think desert elves are at a disadvantage just because they can't tame wild mounts.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

October 10, 2013, 08:26:35 PM #53 Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:34:03 PM by Qzzrbl
As it stands right now, the only tame'able things (without staff assistance) are mounts. Mounts that you ride. There are -several- reasons you just can't tie a rope on a wild horse and throw on some saddlebags and expect everything to work out just fine. He'll either try to buck off the weight or say "fuck this" and lie down, and that's assuming he even lets you get close or tighten any straps. Being a skilled rider certainly plays a big part in training mounts irl-- as a matter of fact, the only real-world pack animals I can think of off the top of my head that didn't need to be ridden at one point or another are farm-raised cattle that wouldn't know any better.

Elves are a backwards people.

"You'd think after all these years, they'd wisen up and learn to tame animals without riding them for carrying stuff!"

Is that the argument?

Yeah. You'd think after all these years, they'd wisen up and actually bother with riding animals to begin with. Or use wagons. Or ride skimmers.

I don't see it'd be so hard to add their inability to tame to the list of "shit elves do that we humans just don't understand".

::edited to add::

Okay. So yeah. You might be able to earn a horse's trust RL without ever hopping on it's back-- but it goes without saying. That would take several months, if not years of regular contact.

Man, am I late for this discussion.

I think it would be super-cool to be able to gain an affinity with creature(s) somehow. Not just to codedly ride. But to chill with when you're all alone in the desert. Mess around with tregil and goudra all day. Verrin to keep an ever watchful eye on you. Having to scald skeet for trying to eat your pants. And normal little birds.

I say, this awesome sounding ''tame'' command should be a roleplayed scenario with the help of our gracious over-lords. Because - if the animal has its mind concluded about the world it lives in, changing its views would require much more than a command. (in most circumstances - this is a fantasy world, let us not forget)

One would have to ''capture'' the creature or otherwise keep it safe while taming/trust earning was going on. (if the creature didn't flat out begin to trust)

But other than useable pets. I think something crazy like this should really be an IMM assisted thing.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Hi, I'm Dar, this is my pet Gaj, what do you think.. ;)
Two dwarves get into a small fist-fray over who owns a pile of dung at the roadside.

You think:
     "Get your shit together"

I just want this changed because there are some mounts in the game that can be ridden by smaller races that I can't tame with my larger pc's...because I can't codedly mount them.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on October 11, 2013, 04:35:11 PM
I just want this changed because there are some mounts in the game that can be ridden by smaller races that I can't tame with my larger pc's...because I can't codedly mount them.

Sorry this is how it should be if you want to tame a mount as a mount you need to be able to ride them. Just like wild horses as has been discussed in previous posts.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 11, 2013, 05:46:33 PM

Sorry this is how it should be if you want to tame a mount as a mount you need to be able to ride them. Just like wild horses as has been discussed in previous posts.

That's your opinion.

October 11, 2013, 05:57:59 PM #59 Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:01:10 PM by Desertman

Good point actually. Teaching them to be ridden would require being able to ride them.

You can however green break horses so that they can be hitched and led without ever getting on them.

Maybe some sort of middle ground for "taming" but not necessarily to "be ridden". When you start to break a horse you typically go through stages of getting them accustom to being handled, then having weight on their backs, then being handled with weight on their backs, then finally after that, you start trying to actually ride them.

With young horses we would always saddle and unsaddle them regularly so they would get used to this sensation of weight on their backs and our presence. I say "we", but by the time I was a young teen we had gotten rid of all of our horses. I do however still remember how it was done.

They were tamed, but not broken for riding.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

October 11, 2013, 06:26:21 PM #60 Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:27:59 PM by RogueGunslinger
Realistically taming/breaking a mount should take weeks and sometimes months, too, but lets not dwell too much on realism. There should be levels of taming, like was brought up earlier. And progressing through those levels should go faster the more skilled you are.

Something like:
Level 0 Can't be hitched, will attack you if an aggressive animal.
Level 1: Can be hitched, but if ridden bucks you off, or attacks on crit failures.
Level 2: Can be hitched and ridden.

Quote from: Desertman on October 11, 2013, 05:57:59 PM

Good point actually. Teaching them to be ridden would require being able to ride them.

You can however green break horses so that they can be hitched and led without ever getting on them.

Maybe some sort of middle ground for "taming" but not necessarily to "be ridden". When you start to break a horse you typically go through stages of getting them accustom to being handled, then having weight on their backs, then being handled with weight on their backs, then finally after that, you start trying to actually ride them.

With young horses we would always saddle and unsaddle them regularly so they would get used to this sensation of weight on their backs and our presence. I say "we", but by the time I was a young teen we had gotten rid of all of our horses. I do however still remember how it was done.

They were tamed, but not broken for riding.

This I concur with. However, if you want to sell it as a mount to someone that can ride it they need to have a high ride skill or they will be either attacked, bucked off, mount will just lay down and refuse to go anywhere, or it will buck them off. I don't think for instance a HG would have a VALID IC reason to tame a animal for riding if they can't ride it.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on October 11, 2013, 06:33:42 PM
I don't think for instance a HG would have a VALID IC reason to tame a animal for riding if they can't ride it.

If a person who knew how to tame them taught the HG how, and told him to tame something, he'd do it. HGs generally only do things they gain pleasure from, things to avoid displeasure, and things they are told to do.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I read a lot about just half-giants but the problem of being too heavy to ride some mounts but this isn't limited only to them.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

>tame/hitch/subdue tregil
"I'm going to love him and keep him and pet him and love him. Forever and ever, George."
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on October 15, 2013, 06:57:34 PM
>tame/hitch/subdue tregil
"I'm going to love him and keep him and pet him and love him. Forever and ever, George."

And we're gonna have a big farm, with lots of tregils.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.