Small carriage for the Nobles

Started by Locke, September 01, 2003, 12:12:53 PM

Subclass House Servant
House servants are skilled in a variety of tasks that will make them valuable to any noble hosting a large party. They can work as a chef for a large meal, and can often overhear the conversations of the visitors, and report to their employers. They can also (**pilot their employer's wagon to drive guests home**) and even create small mementos out of flowers to give to departing guests.

Why havn't I seen any small wagons being driven through Allanak or Tuluk? Although walking around the city doesn't take alot of endurance..wouldn't it be realistic for the nobles and templars going to large parties and imprortant events to ride in these wagons? Why else have that part of the info on the House Servant subclass?

Because the only wagons in game are the ones coded for desert travel, some of which are massive and pulled by mekillots. The smaller ones aren't coded, and probably won't since it would be such a fruitless experience. If a noble wants to ride in a wagon, they can emote being in a V-one.
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

Not entirely true. There are a few smaller vehicles in game.  Its just that no one is extensively using them at present.

I played in one clan that had a very small mode of transportation that they used outdoors, but all it takes is one dewd smart enough to type `enter vehicle` and enough pilot skill to rush off and boom, your expensive little ride is gone.  So, it stayed under lock and key.

I had a noble that would ride a mount to and from the estates to the Trader's and would leave the mount hitched to an NPC guard who then had his ldesc changed to reflect that.  The guard stayed one room away so he was close enough to come save me if there was trouble and all that would have been risked was just a stupid mount.

That's just me though.

Not only do I think there should be more use of smaller wagons... I'd like to see cheaper wagons, maybe pulled by a kank or something. Smaller ones pulled by an erdlu or something? Maybe just a mountable one or something that can pack alot more then the normal mount. It'd be cool I think.

If only you could mount more then one person per mounts... It'd be great...

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I would think small wagons and sedans pulled by slaves, resplendent with ornate decoration, draped with silks etc. would definately be a status symbol.  That being said, sure, I can see senior nobility and senior templars using them.  But a minor noble or templar?  Why waste the resources, and more importantly, why lessen the impact of such a show by letting all your minor nobles have wagons, when you could reserve them for the senior nobles, so that when people saw one, they knew you were -important-.  This is something I could see available to those nobles or templars who have advanced in the power structure to a decent level.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

That... And have those things used in Egypt or something. With two half-giants carrying you around... A litter like thing except covered and everything?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Realistically, should all of these nobles not be wearing silk slippers then? the docs say that silk slippers are specifically for people who can afford to be carried everywhere. So if Junior nobles shouldn't be carried everywhere, should they get rid of those silk slippers?

There used to be a Fale or Fales who did utilize the wagon. I agree with the general thought here, that wagons should be utilized in game more, and that it would give those who've the skill to pilot one more use throughout the game world. A cart, however, is more likely what would be used in the city, a single or two person cart.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

People shouldn't try to steal wagons that have NPC guards or mention VNPC guards in the description, but why throw temptation in their path?  If these are meant to be small, personal vehicals for use getting around the city, restrict what kind of terrain the function in.  

It is perfectly plausible that the fancy carriages are delicate or touchy to opperate, especially if they are powered by humanoid slaves rather than animals, so they only work on smooth, well-maintained roads.  They wouldn't go on rubble-filled sidestreets, or narrow alleys, or open ground.  They aren't designed for long distance travel over rough terrain, so they may not opporate outside the cities at all, and certainly not off the good roads.  

Then they would have little value to thieves or even merchants.  You might be able to steal one, but you can't leave the city with it or if you can leave the city you can't leave the roads, making you very easy to track.  Making a clean getaway would be nearly impossible, which makes sense since these vehicals would be very conspicuous most places.  Even if you do get away the vehical isn't good for much, so you will have trouble selling it.  Merchants don't want it, it has little or no cargo space, probably only holds 1-4 passengers with no secure pilot's area.  Even repainted it would probably be traceable in it's home city, so you will have trouble selling it to other rich, lazy bastards.  Your best chance would be to cart it off to the other major city-state, where no one will care that it was stolen from dirty northern/southern barbarians.  Either that or tear it apart for the materials, but you'll have to work quickly or local law enforcment tracks you down.

There would be no reason to put quit safe rooms in them since the PC using it would be expected to return it to a secure location before quitting, so that would take care of most of the OOC motivation to steal one.  Still, I have visions of these things being left lying around outside taverns the way NPC guards are sometimes abandoned in tavern quit rooms.  Ugh.  It would be cool and all, but I'm not sure how well it would work out in practice.

Angela Christine
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "John"Realistically, should all of these nobles not be wearing silk slippers then? the docs say that silk slippers are specifically for people who can afford to be carried everywhere. So if Junior nobles shouldn't be carried everywhere, should they get rid of those silk slippers?

Out of curiousity, where in the docs do you find this note? I can't seem to find it.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"People shouldn't try to steal wagons that have NPC guards or mention VNPC guards in the description

If you can kill the guards, why not?

Perhaps someone on Zalanthas should invent something akin to the rickshaw for nobles to be toted around in.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Quote from: "Frog Fairy"Out of curiousity, where in the docs do you find this note? I can't seem to find it.
I went and looked for it and found it quickly, it says "shoes that one could possibly not walk in". I figure thin slippers made of silk fit that description. Is that assumption wrong?
Quote from: "[url=http://www.armageddon.org/general/clothing.html#fashionClothing[/url]"]Allanaki: In Allanak, styles tend to be dictated by the nobles, and often the sillier the style, the more successful its reception, since they are considered a sign of wealth or importance. For example, shoes that one could not possibly walk in demonstrate that you have sufficient resources for a carriage or palanquin

John,

If you look at the descriptions of many of the pairs of silk slippers that people wear in game, they often have leather or chitin soles.  I have always  assumed that the shoes referred to in that quote have features like very tall heels, amazingly pointy toes, silly lace trailing from them or any number of other obnoxious features.

I will also just add to this thread that I know of at least one small cart that is currently on order for someone somewhere in the game.  Anyone can get this type of thing if they have enough sid and offer it to the right merchants.   I think that the answer about who sells wagons or carriages should be pretty easy for anyone to find ICly if they just asked around.  That said, they ain't cheap.

The word Sedan makes me wonder...Are there different "rims" for them? Hehe.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

In my view, it wouldn't be too difficult to write up a palaquin that is unstealable.  The nature of a palaquin, or a sedan chair, makes it unstealable in the first case.  Two huge, burly individuals carrying a covered box with a seat in it.  How can you steal that?

If you kill the bearers - you can't carry the box, unless I suppose, you were a half-giant.  And what use is a box covered in silks?  I suppose you could cut out the silks and sell them for a few hundred, if not a thousand, but that isn't much of a reward for having to slaughter two people and take possession of something that is obviously owned by powerful people.

To do a palaquin would be to make a one room wagon that is hitched to two npc slaves who guard the object.  With programs on the npcs to prevent anyone but the owner (read noble of the House) from entering, I don't see any problem.  I don't even think anyone could sneak into a palaquin - I mean how do you get by two huge people standing in front of the silken or gauze curtains of a capacity for one?  There is no way I can think of that this makes any sense - even invisible.  

The question is, should there be real (as opposed to virtual) palaquins in the game?  I'd love to see them but there is a lot of associated administration that goes with such things so it is understandable that they aren't.  Writing them, writing the programs, testing them, etc etc.  It would be a lot of effort and are there people who would use them enough to make it worthwhile?  If junior nobles don't get them, the answer becomes... I don't know.  That's a judgement call best left up to the staff.

I think it's fair to assume that these things exist in the game but virtually.

i like the idea of nobles be carried in rickshaws pulled by slaves/servants.
Also i think there should be small very cheap carts pulled by 1 erdlu or kank that common folk could buy. they could carry and sell goods out of this or even go from 1 town to another shipping goods they would walk or ride next to it.

small wheelcarts and rickshaws are good ideas
oh I'm on fire.

I don't know, I think if there was an assassination, sneaking into the palaquin would be sweet, as you could then carry out your deed. This of course would make sense if the palaquin would be big enough, if it's just one person then it wouldn't work ....
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Actually, when I think about it....

The tents should be a container type object that is unmoveable when you are in it. Hence, the reason that you cannot quit. If this is so, then a simple revamp of the tent code for the object "palaquin" would work fine, wherein lifting the palaquin is allowed.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "Hoodwink"
Quote from: "Angela Christine"People shouldn't try to steal wagons that have NPC guards or mention VNPC guards in the description

If you can kill the guards, why not?

Sure, if you kill the guards that is different.  Though I wonder how you'd kill the guards of a carriage sitting out in the open next to the Trader's without raising a ruckus.  But I was talking about people who would be tempted to just jump into a one room wagon and drive off because they can and they know the NPC and VNPC guards won't react.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Quote from: "aeshyw"If you look at the descriptions of many of the pairs of silk slippers that people wear in game, they often have leather or chitin soles.
Yeah I've noticed some/most of them have a sole of some sort. Although there are a few that don't have a sole besides silks ;)