Bartering ettiquette

Started by Jallal, September 21, 2013, 06:34:16 PM

Is it acceptable to barter in a tavern with the bartender? And does bartering leave an echo (I imagine that'd be quite spammy)

While I don't think theres a hard and fast rule (coded or otherwise), I always thought that if someone kept trying to get a few coins knocked off the price of their ale, realistically, a bartender would soon stop giving them ale at all.  :P

I'm not certain, but I don't think there's an echo on bartering. Maybe someone else could give a more definite answer?

Quote from: Jallal on September 21, 2013, 06:34:16 PM
Is it acceptable to barter in a tavern with the bartender? And does bartering leave an echo (I imagine that'd be quite spammy)

It is OOCly acceptable. ICly it might not be though, but that's no reason not to do it!

Note that there is no echo, so if you're haggling in front of people you have to role play out some sort of discussion.

Whoops, nevermind. You guys are talking about something different.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

Your "barter" skill reflects your PC's IC ability to get a discount on drinks in taverns and with other NPC merchants.  Your RL ability to haggle in RL pubs does not reflect your character's ability to haggle in an IC pub.  Zalanthas is not Earth, and the Gaj is not your local bar.  Different customs rule.  If someone acts like your legit, code-authorized haggling is bad roleplay, you should act like they are bad roleplayers in return, for assuming that the Gaj obeys the same rules as their neighborhood McDonald's.  Haggle away! :)

Considering one of the Original Submissions stories involves haggling with the bartender, I'd think it's entirely fine.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on September 22, 2013, 08:28:58 AM
Considering one of the Original Submissions stories involves haggling with the bartender, I'd think it's entirely fine.

I think it's fine too.

When I virtually piss off one of my regular merchants with the bartering I always pay full price then give them more sid as a tip, do next time they may not get mad for realism.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I remember when the code was changed to allow haggling with bartenders so that charming/swindling drunks could knock a few coins off of each drink. There is (was) a staff post long, long ago about it.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

It's perfectly fine. If the bartender wont haggle, then you can usualy tell by viewing the drink with the command, and the value will be the exact same as the price.

In my opinion, that means they wont haggle on the drink. So I don't try.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: FreeRangeVestric on September 21, 2013, 06:49:42 PM
While I don't think theres a hard and fast rule (coded or otherwise), I always thought that if someone kept trying to get a few coins knocked off the price of their ale, realistically, a bartender would soon stop giving them ale at all.  :P

Don't forget to tip your servers people! You don't want to be one of these jerks!
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

19% is the common rule of thumb to live by when tipping in Zalanthas.

Quote from: mattrious on September 23, 2013, 12:26:54 PM
19% is the common rule of thumb to live by when tipping in Zalanthas.
I thought it was the lifeblood of your servers enemy served over a helping of any virgin of their choice?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Wow I always thought it was a shiv pressed up against your merchant's neck with the promise that if he lowers the price next time, you won't kill him.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.