Falling

Started by Cabooze, September 21, 2013, 02:19:13 AM

Sorry for making so many code discussion threads, but I am really curious about many things regarding how the coding works and if certain things are intentional.

I couldn't help but notice that if you begin to fall and "You scramble for purchase, and stop the fall", you are still damaged for the fall and you lose stun as well accordingly. I also found it odd how if you repeatedly scramble for purchase and fail, it repeatedly deals damage and stun damage for every attempt you make until you actually fall or stop your fall. After scrambling multiple times and then falling, you could actually die from a fall that would usually be nonfatal. Is this intentional, or is this a glitch?

If you throw yourself against a cliff multiple times and continue falling instead of just bracing for impact for the main fall, are you going to be in worse or better condition? If you throw yourself against a cliff face while falling pretty damn fast to stop yourself, are you still going to be somewhat harmed?

September 21, 2013, 02:42:42 AM #2 Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:46:52 AM by Cabooze
..You can move yourself against the cliff wall whilst mid-air? I call magick. I always imagined the scrambling for purchase as reaching for something to grab onto to stop your fall... I suppose I may be mistaken.

Quote from: Cabooze on September 21, 2013, 02:42:42 AM
..You can move yourself against the cliff wall whilst mid-air? I call magick. I always imagined the scrambling for purchase as reaching for something to grab onto to stop your fall... I suppose I may be mistaken.
Even in that instance, you are scratching your arms and legs up both when you stop your fall, or when you continue falling. The damage dealt due to this is pretty minimal as I remember it, and makes sense in that regard.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on September 21, 2013, 03:04:11 AM
Quote from: Cabooze on September 21, 2013, 02:42:42 AM
Even in that instance, you are scratching your arms and legs up both when you stop your fall, or when you continue falling. The damage dealt due to this is pretty minimal as I remember it, and makes sense in that regard.

Ah, that does makes sense. I suppose I was just a little confused.

And if you do get leverage, you probably slam yourself against the cliff face, even if you don't find enough purchase to halt your fall completely, hence, stun damage.

It's a tradeoff.  The higher you fall from, the more damage you will take IF you hit the ground.  If you manage to stop your fall, you won't take that big hit at the end, just the damage from stopping your fall.  However if you try and fail to stop the fall, you've just caused yourself even more damage and you'll still take the big impact at the end of the fall, increasing the likelihood it will kill you or knock you out.

It's a stupid code relic that nobody's bothered to gin up support to change to be more realistic.  Don't bother trying to wrap your mind around it.  From a gameplay perspective, it's probably there to prevent people from direction-spamming to save themselves from falls, since even with a 5% chance of catching yourself, you'd only need to spam it 13 times to give yourself a 50% chance of stopping the fall.

But yeah, joyofdiscord basically has the risk:reward analysis correct.  If it's only a 1 or 2 room fall, and you don't have the climb skill at a decent level, it's usually better to just fall.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.