Idea for Tuluk templars/robes/whatever

Started by Lizzie, September 16, 2013, 05:34:13 PM

No idea how the code works but if there's some way to distinguish a male and female templar in Tuluk, that'd probably be a good idea. I shouldn't have to look at "the dainty blue-eyed templar" to know that it's male - unless it's particularly androgynous in mdesc as well. Either that, or shift the social convention of "Faithful Lady/Lord" into "Your Faithful" or something similarly vague so as not to ever feel like you've made an IC offense due to an OOC lack of knowledge.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Just use look.   ::)

Or, if you really are that paranoid about being seen looking at a templar, use assess.

Allanak has gotten along just fine for centuries without clothing-obvious distinctions between templarate genders, though.

How is this idea Tuluk specific, though?
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Also

>SNIFF TEMPLAR
She smells like sweat and dust.

Plus it doesn't even echo that.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I use sniff all the time when I want to check a gender or make sure I'm remembering someone's name correctly without making it obvious.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Yeah assess would be pointless - if the whole idea is to -not- create an echo just because I, the player, don't know if the templar standing in front of me is male or female. Assess echoes.

I do use "work-arounds" in game - I use the "look templar's snoogie" or "look templar's libneroin" and obviously that item doesn't exist, so you get a "She isn't wearing anything like that."

It's always felt like cheating though, and I thought it'd be nice if "male" and "female" would be a little more obvious.

Right, we get it, but the notion is just silly.  If a templar is standing right in front of you, it's OK to look at them.  (It's actually OK to look at them in other situations too.)

Man, I was really hoping we were going to discuss robe colors.

I don't really see the issue here. I've played a lot down south and this sort of thing has never been a problem. I don't even know (that many) people who've been killed because they looked at a templar...

Also, if you're talking to a Templar where how to address them becomes a concern, your character has probably already looked at them.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 16, 2013, 08:04:56 PM
Nothing to discuss. Pink.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on September 16, 2013, 08:25:08 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 16, 2013, 08:04:56 PM
Nothing to discuss. Pink.

obviously!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

a bi-moon shouldered, pyramid-emblazoned Templar's robe
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Also: the tall, muscular tuluki templar

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 16, 2013, 08:47:48 PM
+1
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 16, 2013, 08:48:50 PM
Also: the tall, muscular tuluki templar

...whose name is Talia Negean, and whose mdesc clearly points out that she's muscular, with huge breasts, a wasp-waist, and wide hips. In fact, she's a full-on f-me in mdesc - but she's tall, and she has plenty of muscles - therefore - she is Talia, the tall, muscular woman (whose keyword "woman" is replaced by the templar's robe).

I don't like it in Allanak either by the way. It came to mind, because of the change in Tuluk.

Yeh ... I get what you're saying. I've had the same issue.  So: the tall, muscular, northern female templar, and, the fat, wretched, southern male templar.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on September 16, 2013, 08:47:48 PM

That's a cool sdesc, however what I would really love to see is the name of an order in there. Formerly, we had the order name of Jihaen or Lirathan in the sdesc. I really liked that. I'd love to see a new name for the new order in the sdesc--it would also make Tuluki and non-Tuluki templars discernible at a glance, which I feel could be useful.

Alternatively, what about adding "Allanaki" and "Tuluki" to templar robes? The robes are different enough that it should be pretty obvious. (Even if I think having other words after new order names would be more interesting).

Quote from: Lizzie on September 16, 2013, 05:34:13 PM
No idea how the code works but if there's some way to distinguish a male and female templar in Tuluk, that'd probably be a good idea. I shouldn't have to look at "the dainty blue-eyed templar" to know that it's male - unless it's particularly androgynous in mdesc as well. Either that, or shift the social convention of "Faithful Lady/Lord" into "Your Faithful" or something similarly vague so as not to ever feel like you've made an IC offense due to an OOC lack of knowledge.

Quote from: Lizzie on September 16, 2013, 06:50:17 PM
Yeah assess would be pointless - if the whole idea is to -not- create an echo just because I, the player, don't know if the templar standing in front of me is male or female. Assess echoes.

Simply looking at a templar to figure out a gender or using a work-around to discover gender really doesn't bother me. I don't think that there really needs to be a gender pronoun in each templar robe sdesc. The only way it would really come into play is if a templar walked past too fast to look at them, and even then--no cloak shows gender, if the hood is up, and someone walks past. Saying that you didn't get a good look is probably good enough.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Umm... Doesn't the assess command kick out a hidden emote of:

You Notice: The blond bimbo, dumbass glancing up to the freakishly tall, redheaded templar.

And sniff generates an echo. Unless someone that I've seen before walking by a breed actually emoted sniffing the breed.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: Taven on September 16, 2013, 10:39:33 PM
Alternatively, what about adding "Allanaki" and "Tuluki" to templar robes? The robes are different enough that it should be pretty obvious. (Even if I think having other words after new order names would be more interesting).

Thought about it, discussed it, not sure if necessary...the amount of times PCs are wearing a robe from the opposite templarate in a city are virtually 0.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Templaress.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 17, 2013, 03:05:38 AM
And sniff generates an echo. Unless someone that I've seen before walking by a breed actually emoted sniffing the breed.

Teeheehee, newbies are so cute.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 17, 2013, 03:08:44 AM
Sniff doesn't echo.

I like that in their robes you can't tell what is what unless they're close or you look at them. I never used sniff to (wait for it) sniff out gender though, that's brilliant.

I now have the urge to play the ambiguously emaciated templar, with the Sun-embroidered, gold silk Templar robe.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: ShaLeah on September 17, 2013, 10:06:22 AM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 17, 2013, 03:05:38 AM

Teeheehee, newbies are so cute.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 17, 2013, 03:08:44 AM
Sniff doesn't echo.

I like that in their robes you can't tell what is what unless they're close or you look at them. I never used sniff to (wait for it) sniff out gender though, that's brilliant.

I now have the urge to play the ambiguously emaciated templar, with the Sun-embroidered, gold silk Templar robe.

I like that for a Tuluki templar robe or cloak or whatever.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on September 17, 2013, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: ShaLeah on September 17, 2013, 10:06:22 AM

I like that for a Tuluki templar robe or cloak or whatever.

Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."