Comparing Bows

Started by manipura, September 03, 2013, 04:56:52 PM

I wish there was a better way of judging how strong the pull of a bow is compared to another.  The way it is now, I sort of feel like Goldilocks when I try out a bow.  I know if it's too strong, too weak, or just right.  However, if I have two different bows, both of them too strong, I don't know which one is the strongest pull between the two of them.  Same if I have two bows that are both too weak.  I know they are both too weak for me, but I don't know which has the weakest pull.

I think it would be helpful to have something like this:

You test a super fantastic longbow's pull and decide it is far too strong for you.
You test a not too shabby longbow's pull and decide it is too strong for you.
You test an average wooden longbow's pull and decide it is just right for you.
You test a rather generic longbow's pull and decide it is too weak for you.
You test a toy longbow's pull and decide it is far too weak for you.

Quote from: manipura on September 03, 2013, 04:56:52 PM
I wish there was a better way of judging how strong the pull of a bow is compared to another.  The way it is now, I sort of feel like Goldilocks when I try out a bow.  I know if it's too strong, too weak, or just right.  However, if I have two different bows, both of them too strong, I don't know which one is the strongest pull between the two of them.  Same if I have two bows that are both too weak.  I know they are both too weak for me, but I don't know which has the weakest pull.

I think it would be helpful to have something like this:

You test a super fantastic longbow's pull and decide it is far too strong for you.
You test a not too shabby longbow's pull and decide it is too strong for you.
You test an average wooden longbow's pull and decide it is just right for you.
You test a rather generic longbow's pull and decide it is too weak for you.
You test a toy longbow's pull and decide it is far too weak for you.

Ooooh +1 for this.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I dig this
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I'd like this, but maybe not for the archery noob. Maybe once you hit like, jman or something.

But overall, I really do like this idea. ;D
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: InsertCleverNameHere on September 03, 2013, 07:50:39 PM
I'd like this, but maybe not for the archery noob. Maybe once you hit like, jman or something.

Skills
----------------------------------------
archery (Katniss Everdeen)

On topic: Yeah, I like this too.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

...because testing the weight of bows is far above the mental capacity of someone not well versed in bows, you mean to say?

Because that would make me incredibly incredulous.  Invariably.  And other in words.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on September 04, 2013, 04:22:09 AM
...because testing the weight of bows is far above the mental capacity of someone not well versed in bows, you mean to say?

Because that would make me incredibly incredulous.  Invariably.  And other in words.

I wasn't aware the awesomeness of the bow is based solely on its weight?

But, then again, I happen to be an archery noob. And I know for a fact I could pick up two different bows, look at them, pull the strings, and have no clue whatsoever which one is superior or would give me the furthest range, or most power for my (nonexistant) arm muscles.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Then I'd say you don't have the archery skill at all.

A novice or apprentice would just as easily be able to tell 'Oh.  This has a stronger draw.' or 'Oh.  This one is shoddily made.'  It's really not that complicated until you get into countermeasures and pulley systems in bows...recurves, longbows, and the like are pretty easy to be able to tell.  If you disagree, go to a boy scout camp and watch their archery section, and you'll end up seeing I'm right.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

September 05, 2013, 12:19:18 AM #8 Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 12:23:49 AM by PriestlySiren

As you can see, there are many types of bows you can use. It all depends on the wrapping paper and box!

But really. A good idea!

Quote from: PriestlySiren on September 05, 2013, 12:19:18 AM

As you can see, there are many types of bows you can use. It all depends on the wrapping paper and box!

But really. A good idea!

*SNICKER*  :D ;D

LOL!
Fredd-

I think by weight, he was referring to the pull of the bow.
I like this idea too, but I'm happy with the way it is now. At any rate, I'll give my idea.

/instead/ of seeing "this bow is too strong for you" maybe the bows could send back a message like,

"The weight of this bow's pull is about <some odd stones>"
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I don't about that.  I mean would an archer know that?
Fredd-