Apartment Option - Remove just 1 one person added to the lease

Started by slvrmoontiger, August 25, 2013, 03:49:31 AM

Current apartment code only allows you to remove all additional people on your lease. Say you have an apartment with two people besides you on the lease. You want to keep one on but kick the other one off. There is no way to do that, so I am requesting that an option be added to allow you to remove one person and not the other.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I have a feeling it's because it would have to list names so you'd know what to remove. This could be averted in the code by taking a name blind and checking keywords, but I guess that's up to the coders.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 25, 2013, 03:49:31 AM
Current apartment code only allows you to remove all additional people on your lease.

It also allows you to remove yourself from the apartment.

If you want to selectively remove people and you're the owner, you can ask staff.  It's rare that this happens so it isn't coded.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on August 25, 2013, 03:59:08 PM
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 25, 2013, 03:49:31 AM
Current apartment code only allows you to remove all additional people on your lease.

It also allows you to remove yourself from the apartment.

If you want to selectively remove people and you're the owner, you can ask staff.  It's rare that this happens so it isn't coded.

Do you feel it's possible that the reason it's so rare, is because it's not coded? Sending a request through the request tool to the staff typically takes at least a few days - more than that if it's not a staff priority (which I would imagine removing one person from one other person's apartment would not be). And wishing up doesn't always result in a response. So maybe people aren't sending requests for it, because they need for it is "right now" and since request tools can't be accommodated "right now" they just don't bother at all.

I've had a couple of instances when I had more than one roommate, and wanted to remove one of them from the lease while keeping the other. I wished up - no response. I didn't want that person out of my apartment at some point in the unforseeable future. I wanted them out "today." The only way to do that then, is to remove all, hope your other roommates don't try to get in until you can add them back, and then - add them back.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'd rather they code to allow up to 20 roommates.  So I can invite my whole tribe over.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

August 25, 2013, 05:39:34 PM #5 Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:41:49 PM by AmandaGreathouse
Quote from: ShaLeah on August 25, 2013, 04:57:08 PM
I'd rather they code to allow up to 20 roommates.  So I can invite my whole tribe over.

I've never understood why there are apartments where the apartment keeper will only keep track of 2 people for a lease. In a third-world situation where most vnpcs at least would have huge families, it makes no sense to me. I remember before there was a limit of 2 on some of them, too. :( Since then, multiple times I've wished up/sent in requests to try to add more.

I think it's totally possible though, that, as with what Lizzie suggested, it's only rare because staff aren't always on to accomodate (or able to/or want to), and people know that requests can take ages. I could be wrong, but I think the last time I had a request in the queue regarding apartment rental it took over a week?

Edit to add: And by that time, the need for the request was gone. If it's the one I'm thinking of.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

I'm fine with the two person limit for almost all apartments.

When you have a 3-5 room apartment that is described as specious to grand, it would be nice to have more people - I know of two in Allanak that allow more than two people.

I've never had a reason to invite more than one person in Tuluk because most Tuluk PCs are douche bags, so I don't know the situation there other than every man, woman and child gets their own balcony.

Player rented bunk houses (3 north, 3 south, 2 red storm) would be nice for those small groups looking for their own little bat cave. I would be perfectly willing to write up all of these, including the NPC landlords, guards, etc, if it would even be considered.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Vwest on August 28, 2013, 07:34:53 AM
every man, woman and child gets their own balcony.

Balconies are vital to the northern way of life.  :D
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Player rented bunk houses (3 north, 3 south, 2 red storm) would be nice for those small groups looking for their own little bat cave. I would be perfectly willing to write up all of these, including the NPC landlords, guards, etc, if it would even be considered.

Now that's a cool idea. Very fitting with the MUD's theme of struggle and limitation as well.

Quote from: Suhuy on August 28, 2013, 08:39:00 AM

Now that's a cool idea. Very fitting with the MUD's theme of struggle and limitation as well.

See, it's not just that, I'm thinking about, either, but family roles up to 4 people who want to, say, play rinthi scum who come southside and stay holed up in a cheap ass tenement room. It's fairly common historically for people to not only have a large number of children, but to live in extended family groups, and more so, even, when there are greater poverty problems. THAT, to me, is why a 2 person limit on apartments makes no sense. I think you should be able to put 20 people on the cheapest room if you want, because it's not unrealistic in a struggling and impoverished country for large groups of people to live together.  The bunk house idea is interesting too, though.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on August 28, 2013, 08:43:09 AM

See, it's not just that, I'm thinking about, either, but family roles up to 4 people who want to, say, play rinthi scum who come southside and stay holed up in a cheap ass tenement room. It's fairly common historically for people to not only have a large number of children, but to live in extended family groups, and more so, even, when there are greater poverty problems. THAT, to me, is why a 2 person limit on apartments makes no sense. I think you should be able to put 20 people on the cheapest room if you want, because it's not unrealistic in a struggling and impoverished country for large groups of people to live together.  The bunk house idea is interesting too, though.

At least 5.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I wonder if a realistic, in-game way to explain why you can't have 10+ people crammed in your crappy one room apartment is because Nenyuk, being one of the GMHs, wouldn't want their good name associated with such poor living conditions? 

The crappiest tenement buildings, with only hole-in-the-wall apartments and doors falling off their hinges are still Nenyuki buildings.  I'd think that it would be realistic for them to not allow it to reach the point where they have a building, with their name on it, that is home to a hundred people living in squalor.

Devil's advocate: Nenyuk isn't a charity. They are only making three keys per room and they are only going to trust three people with them. This creates scarcity, which drives up rent. They do not care if people live in tavern dorms or on the street, so long as all of their units are occupied. They are not going to make it easier for people to share an apartment or make special bunk-houses for undesirables and their brood to stink up the place. They are going to make it easier for themselves to make a profit.

OOC reasoning: Apartment leases probably don't extend to a large number of people in order to encourage playing in clans if you want to be in an established group.

OP's original idea: Nothing bad to say about it. It would be nice if it was coded, but if it's a request/wish up option for now that is fine too. Or alternatively, plan it so that when you want to remove one person from the lease, the other people you want to stay in your apartment are around when you remove everyone (so you can add them back again). RP-wise, it would be the equivalent of going up to the landlord and saying "I only want these people to have a key for my apartment now, not that other guy who isn't here."

Quote from: manipura on August 28, 2013, 09:36:13 AM
I wonder if a realistic, in-game way to explain why you can't have 10+ people crammed in your crappy one room apartment is because Nenyuk, being one of the GMHs, wouldn't want their good name associated with such poor living conditions? 

The crappiest tenement buildings, with only hole-in-the-wall apartments and doors falling off their hinges are still Nenyuki buildings.  I'd think that it would be realistic for them to not allow it to reach the point where they have a building, with their name on it, that is home to a hundred people living in squalor.

Yes, but would they make you kick your kid out on their 13th birthday when they shift from vnpc to pc? Because if you're even a -couple- living in an apartment with -1- child, in many apartments, once you wanted to make that a group of pcs (family role, again, as a good example), it becomes impossible in many apartments, which is silly.

Quote from: Cutthroat on August 28, 2013, 09:50:50 AM
OP's original idea: Nothing bad to say about it. It would be nice if it was coded, but if it's a request/wish up option for now that is fine too. Or alternatively, plan it so that when you want to remove one person from the lease, the other people you want to stay in your apartment are around when you remove everyone (so you can add them back again). RP-wise, it would be the equivalent of going up to the landlord and saying "I only want these people to have a key for my apartment now, not that other guy who isn't here."

RL happens sometimes something IG happens that forces you to have to remove someone pretty much immediately for various reasons. Its not always a possibility to have the person or persons you want on your lease there when IG reasons happen to make you remove one person. Just saying.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on August 28, 2013, 10:17:49 AM
Quote from: manipura on August 28, 2013, 09:36:13 AM

Yes, but would they make you kick your kid out on their 13th birthday when they shift from vnpc to pc? Because if you're even a -couple- living in an apartment with -1- child, in many apartments, once you wanted to make that a group of pcs (family role, again, as a good example), it becomes impossible in many apartments, which is silly.

Like Cutthroat said, Nenyuk isn't a charity.  If you're living in a single room where they've provided you with two sleeping mats, yes I can see them saying something like "Hmm, your child isn't a little kid anymore and your family's overcrowding our apartment now.  Can we interest you in another room in our building, or perhaps you'd prefer moving your family to a more suitable apartment?"

As for the original idea of this thread, I do think it would be handy to be able to 'remove Amos' instead of having to 'rent with nobody'.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 28, 2013, 10:59:39 AM
Quote from: Cutthroat on August 28, 2013, 09:50:50 AM

RL happens sometimes something IG happens that forces you to have to remove someone pretty much immediately for various reasons. Its not always a possibility to have the person or persons you want on your lease there when IG reasons happen to make you remove one person. Just saying.

Codewise, a lot would have to change for this one request.  For instance, the system doesn't have any well to tell the owner who else is on the lease in the first place.  "Remove everyone else from the lease" is easy because you don't need to know the actual name of the person on the lease.  However, people often use addkeyword nicknames instead of the name they created the character with, and that creates issues.  Should it list the people by sdesc?  Maybe so, but that code isn't there either. 

At this point if it is that big of an emergency, you can just do "rent with nobody" and talk to the other guy or gal on your lease about getting back on.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on August 28, 2013, 08:43:09 AM

But... The issue here is likely the limited number of keys. The landlord may say... There's two of them for you and one of them for me. You can have twenty people there, but you're still getting two keys.

Just an idea.

>List tenants

These people currently live with you:
1. The tall, muscular woman
2. The stocky, weather worn dwarf

> Rent without 1

The stalwart, black-haired landlord dude says, "They no longer live with you."

>list tenants

These people currently live with you:
1. The stocky, weather worn dwarf
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Yes, that would be one way to implement such code (probably the best, imo).

Quote from: manipura on August 28, 2013, 11:37:01 AM
Like Cutthroat said, Nenyuk isn't a charity.  If you're living in a single room where they've provided you with two sleeping mats, yes I can see them saying something like "Hmm, your child isn't a little kid anymore and your family's overcrowding our apartment now.  Can we interest you in another room in our building, or perhaps you'd prefer moving your family to a more suitable apartment?"

I disagree with this because Nenyuk could care less about that as long as they get their sid. That is evident in the fact that they DO hold slums with shitty doors, where your neighbors will hear you scream and not come knocking.

If Nenyuk was open for business with PCs that had to pass off the keys and hunt down the people for rent like they -used- to then maybe. As it stands now, with the whole - You got ten days to get your rent together hero or else we keep all your shit and evict you code - I don't think Nenyuk cares who is paying rent, as long as they keep paying it.

Quote from: ShaLeah on August 28, 2013, 02:31:28 PM

I disagree with this because Nenyuk could care less about that as long as they get their sid. That is evident in the fact that they DO hold slums with shitty doors, where your neighbors will hear you scream and not come knocking.

If Nenyuk was open for business with PCs that had to pass off the keys and hunt down the people for rent like they -used- to then maybe. As it stands now, with the whole - You got ten days to get your rent together hero or else we keep all your shit and evict you code - I don't think Nenyuk cares who is paying rent, as long as they keep paying it.

Right...however, to continue with the family example: if you and your mate and your kid have been playing family in your one room apartment for years, and dutifully paying your three small in rent for that whole time, when your kid is old enough to be an issue for the number of keys, then Nenyuk telling you "Hey, get a second apartment or move into a bigger apartment" ensures more money for them.  You're either grabbing a second cheap apartment or moving to a larger one and paying more rent.  Either way, Nenyuk's getting more money out of you.

Also, the way the apartment code is now, Nenyuk isn't actually telling you how many people you can pack in there to live, they're just telling you how many keys they'll make for each apartment.  You can still have a half dozen people 'living' in your place with you, but Nenyuk might only hand out two keys for your place.

Quote from: manipura on August 28, 2013, 03:01:23 PM
Quote from: ShaLeah on August 28, 2013, 02:31:28 PM

Right...however, to continue with the family example: if you and your mate and your kid have been playing family in your one room apartment for years, and dutifully paying your three small in rent for that whole time, when your kid is old enough to be an issue for the number of keys, then Nenyuk telling you "Hey, get a second apartment or move into a bigger apartment" ensures more money for them.  You're either grabbing a second cheap apartment or moving to a larger one and paying more rent.  Either way, Nenyuk's getting more money out of you.

Also, the way the apartment code is now, Nenyuk isn't actually telling you how many people you can pack in there to live, they're just telling you how many keys they'll make for each apartment.  You can still have a half dozen people 'living' in your place with you, but Nenyuk might only hand out two keys for your place.

The fact that each tenant gets a key means they ARE in fact telling you their allowance. You can cram as many add you want, but you're the only one allowed to let them in and out because you're the only one with the key, you're the only one recognized to be in the apartment in the first place.

Quote from: Delirium on August 28, 2013, 03:54:34 PM
Nenyuk is prejudiced against polygamy!  >:(

That is AGAINST documentation.
* ShaLeah files a complaint.