Blacking out from being drunk

Started by slvrmoontiger, August 04, 2013, 07:05:37 PM

It just might be me, but if you're resting on a bed when you black out from being drunk, why would you be on the floor when you awaken? I can see if you're on a barstool, chair, couch, bench, etc. Heck I could see it if you were on a cot. But why a bed?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

You can change your ldesc to imply you are still on the bed, if you wanted, or just emote rolling off the bed in a drunken stupor.

As far as coding goes, it's just the way it works. You pass out drunk, you end up on the floor.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Even on a chair, stool and especially a couch...I'd prefer it if you could be unconscious whilst on one of those things...maybe with a tiny chance of falling off and ending up on the ground.

But I personally think you should be able to sleep on those things too...albeit uncomfortably.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Remember you aren't talking about being drunk and going to sleep. We are talking, middle of drinking to much and blacking out.

It is a very bad thing to do in the real world, but if you ever do... well I wish you best of luck that you miss the table top with your face.
Life sucks, then you die.

Like I said, laying in bed in the middle of a huge bed. How are you going to roll all the way to the floor when you just block out drunk?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 04, 2013, 08:21:03 PM
Like I said, laying in bed in the middle of a huge bed. How are you going to roll all the way to the floor when you just block out drunk?

Fireballs, my friend. Fireballs.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I have a huge bed, and I have ended up on the floor on numerous occasions. Some of which I partially remember trying to make my way to the bathroom and then just passing out. Some of which I don't remember. I am not saying necessarily that it should happen every time, but it does happen.

And yes, Fireballs.

August 04, 2013, 08:49:17 PM #7 Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:55:17 PM by Barzalene
You know how it is. You get up. You do a little dance. Make a little love. Fall down.
You just don't remember. You were really drunk.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

It's just a code quirk.  Roll with it!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Sorry, I guess I miss understood the point of this section. I thought it was to find out about code quirks or ask for them to be fixed. Since that isn't correct someone please explain what its meant for.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 04, 2013, 09:30:58 PM
Sorry, I guess I miss understood the point of this section. I thought it was to find out about code quirks or ask for them to be fixed. Since that isn't correct someone please explain what its meant for.

You learned this GDB thing quick. I like you.

Sorry, my answer wasn't very in depth, I was posting from a mobile device when I should have been paying attention to RL.  I'll try to flesh it out a bit more.

Whoever coded it this way probably didn't do so deliberately because they felt that everyone who blacks out from being drunk will roll off whatever bed they're lying down on.  They probably wanted people to fall off their barstools, though, as that is fairly realistic behavior, and distinguishing sitting from resting and beds from barstools wasn't ever written into the code.  As I've said many times before, sometimes the code is just the code, and we have to work within its boundaries to write our stories.

Anyway, you can totally work with rolling off your bed like a drunken fool in character, if you want.  Or you can pretend you're still on the bed, and change your ldesc to that effect.  Either option is totally fine to choose, and one is not more correct than the other. 

Hope that's a bit more helpful!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on August 04, 2013, 09:30:58 PM

This is indeed the point. But you will always get multiple answers, yay and nay for such changes. And then, at some point, someone will derail it a little, and then it's all down hill from there. Don't take it personal.

I can't think of a single case where this would matter.

Wait, I can think of one single case.. but if you pass out on one of those you deserve to fall off.

Say for instance you have a roommate and you pass out from being drunk and they wonder why you didn't just lay down on your bed first. They think you're chugging booze all the way home or something when that might not have been the case. That's how it can matter.