Marching Order

Started by Morrolan, July 31, 2013, 12:09:48 AM

July 31, 2013, 12:09:48 AM Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:15:08 AM by Morrolan
I've sometimes thought that, for large groups, there should be a limit on the number of people who can follow one leader closely.

It is one of the small things that would cause combat leaders to have to organize more carefully.

So a leader might have two, three or six (or whatever) people following them closely. Further people in the group would need to follow other members of the group.

Does this require more organization than "everyone follow Amos"? Yes.
Would it add some complexity to group organization? Yes.
Like the discussion on the number of people who can attack one person, or the number of people who can guard them, this idea is conceived to add a little more sense of space to the game.

I worked with these ideas once when I was a clan leader, assigning people to different small groups that would take action together, watch each other's backs, etc. I felt it made things more realistic and more interesting. It also gave competent subordinates something to do.

EDIT to add:

For those who loathe hard limits, another possibility is to have a #following penalty added to "storm navigation" so it only affects people in bad weather conditions -- you can follow the guy just in front of you, but if everyone tries to follow Sarge Amos, things get hairy.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

What if it were affected by your sense direction skill, and maybe your wisdom score? Or even an invisible 'leadership' skill that you gain as you lead people around.

This is one of those ideas that do not require hard code...be the change...as you said, you did it already. I Do as well when playing a leader and i have seen others also do so
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on July 31, 2013, 06:34:18 AM
This is one of those ideas that do not require hard code...be the change...as you said, you did it already. I Do as well when playing a leader and i have seen others also do so

I agree with X-D, this can be tackled in game already.

I'd loathe actual coded limits, for the sake of playability as a leader, when you just plain need everyone to follow you for the sake of RL time.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse