idea: Arma Playtimes

Started by Harmless, July 24, 2013, 04:28:04 PM

July 24, 2013, 04:28:04 PM Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 04:29:58 PM by Harmless
How about a web based app that we can use, empowered by the new website, that allows other players (esp. those we are clanned with) to quickly access a kind of time chart showing when an account was logged in on average one week ago.

For instance, if you wanted to see when your clan leader, so and so, was logged in on average last week, so that you can make a guess as to when you'll find him this week. The game will log all the time spent in game for the account, and then upload it one week later to the website for use. Being in their clan, you gain consent automatically to view this (Unless they withhold it or decide only to share their playtimes with selected users, which case you would need to send a request in for access to it).

You might see a graph like this:

And you would get an idea for when that clanmate was online. The Y axis is unlabeled above but it is number of days that week the player was logged in at that time of day.  An alternate view might just show playtimes by day, so that the weekly schedule was there; but I think that's a little too invasive and the above gets you some useful information.

It could be tied to the GDB, as well.

Want? Don't want? I want.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

*blink* WANT! It would certainly help when there is IC business to take care of, and you can't ever seem to find that person (OOCly because of playtime differences). Just my opinion.
A staff member sends:
     "I hate you. :p"

I think this is a great idea, but not sure how it would be implemented or if its possible.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

I don't want data about my playtimes openly accessible for the world to see! That's kind what the clan boards are for...and people usually do their best to keep the other members of their clan updated about when they will/won't be around. Also, it's not taboo to ask if you really need to get hold of someone (in your clan).
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

So now sergeant strict knows you were on but mind blocking him and other stalky examples. I don't like it.

Sadly, too much OOC information to influence your IG play. (Even though, really, your Byn Sarge IS around, they're just interacting with their virtual friends)

I like the idea of it, to know I shouldn't expect them around... but the IG boards are -supposed- to be for this. At least, thats how I feel Roll Call threads should be focused.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

No.

It's bad enough we have people sharing information over MSN and such without giving them play times to better coordinate their nonsense.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 24, 2013, 05:49:09 PM
So now sergeant strict knows you were on but mind blocking him and other stalky examples. I don't like it.
Just tossing out that this is not the best reason to dislike the idea being mentioned... theoretically this idea makes it more realistic, as sergeant strict should always be able to find your mind.

That said I think the problem is more with implementation than usefulness.

Do not want! Way too much ooc information to be healthy.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

No, like everyone else who said no, It's too OOC.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Harmless on July 24, 2013, 04:28:04 PM
How about a web based app that we can use, empowered by the new website, that allows other players (esp. those we are clanned with) to quickly access a kind of time chart showing when an account was logged in on average one week ago.

For instance, if you wanted to see when your clan leader, so and so, was logged in on average last week, so that you can make a guess as to when you'll find him this week. The game will log all the time spent in game for the account, and then upload it one week later to the website for use. Being in their clan, you gain consent automatically to view this (Unless they withhold it or decide only to share their playtimes with selected users, which case you would need to send a request in for access to it).

You might see a graph like this:

And you would get an idea for when that clanmate was online. The Y axis is unlabeled above but it is number of days that week the player was logged in at that time of day.  An alternate view might just show playtimes by day, so that the weekly schedule was there; but I think that's a little too invasive and the above gets you some useful information.

It could be tied to the GDB, as well.

Want? Don't want? I want.

While I like the idea of this in theory... because, as it was put:

Quote from: Ktavialt on July 24, 2013, 06:30:31 PM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on July 24, 2013, 05:49:09 PM
... theoretically this idea makes it more realistic, as sergeant strict should always be able to find your mind.

I think it would be difficult to impossible to implement though, given that afaik, most accounts and the gdb handles associated with them are neither noted nor connected, and this is why you are asked to give your gdb handle during a join a clan forum request.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Barsook on July 24, 2013, 07:20:12 PM
Theoretically everybody should be "logged in" 24/7.  The only problem I see occurring is people NOT logging in specifically to avoid certain others log-in times, but vice versa is ok.

Quote from: Ktavialt on July 24, 2013, 08:50:40 PM
Quote from: Barsook on July 24, 2013, 07:20:12 PM
Theoretically everybody should be "logged in" 24/7.  The only problem I see occurring is people NOT logging in specifically to avoid certain others log-in times, but vice versa is ok.

It's also abused the other way around - knowing that someone -is- likely to be around - helps you know that it's a good time to set the assassination in motion.

It is because of these abuses that the Way was changed, years ago. I think it's not likely, or desireable, to re-create a similar method of discovering if a PC is logged in (or not).

If you can't find someone over the Way, then you should assume the PC is not available. It doesn't matter if he's logged in or not. He's not available - or, possibly, his barrier skill is better than your contact skill.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

good counterpoints, here's a counter suggestions / change:

instead of it being live updated, instead imagine an applet that once, you could use to generate a one time picture of your avg playtimes for a week, then submit it as a one time picture display of your avg playtime, even if the data is weeks or months old.

it could be an applet that helps you create a visual to share your schedule WHEN DESIRED. Maybe a group of people could contribute to them or they can be overlapped to find an optimal RPT time.

if you're afraid to submit the info it's totally opt-outable this way and it can only be posted on clan boards.

thought to this idea?

I don't see how a graph over your playtimes would differ that much from "I play soandso many hours on mondays through thursdays, then all weekend", that's already given on the clan boards. I do think it should be a personal choice, use with discretion and so on...

How about sampling over a longer time? I know some players are very weekday specific, so sampling over the course of weeks would give more accurate data. I think it would be easier with a client script than a gameside one, in both cases. But especially this.

If a player WANTS you to know when he's available, he'll tell you. Either via the clan boards or, if you're not in a clan, with a quick OOC in-game. There is no reason for you to try and fish out his play times. If you need to know, and he hasn't told you yet, you can send a request to the staff and see if they can let that player know when YOU are available so he can possibly log in then.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Good points. It was a quick I idea I had, and it sounded nice at the time, but I see the importance and dangers of over-divulging OOC information and how that bleeds into IC... so I appreciate all the feedback.

Playtimes:

All day.

Everyday.

I don't need everyone seeing my days upon days upon days of playtime.  It is a neat idea, but I don't like it for reasons mentioned above.

I think it's a neat idea, but I have to vote no.  I would prefer players not have that detailed of information.

I'm also not sure staff should spend time making an optional applet type thing.  You could log your playtimes, make a graph of means in excel, and post it on a clan-board if you like.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

It would work if your forum account was linked your Arm account.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Quote from: Feco on July 26, 2013, 03:40:03 PM
I think it's a neat idea, but I have to vote no.  I would prefer players not have that detailed of information.

I'm also not sure staff should spend time making an optional applet type thing.  You could log your playtimes, make a graph of means in excel, and post it on a clan-board if you like.

Seeing as I'm not willing to do this myself, I don't see how I could expect anyone else to want to do it themself. Interesting how you turned me to agreeing with all of you with that suggestion. Thanks Feco.