The Sand Swirls Around You!

Started by hatchets, July 21, 2013, 06:15:27 AM

Ok, so this is two fold...

Firstly, Is it just me, or at stage one of sandstorms, the gritty sand blows into piles of dunes, does it seem a tad ridiculous that you cannot see anything at all when its night time, even if you have a light source out? I fully accept that it happens during the harsher storms. But I would think the light storm level would be see able. At least from how I am picturing it, maybe I am picturing it wrong.

Secondly, why, when you cannot see with the sand swirling around you, do you not seem to lose your way, I mean, it clealry says you cannot see anything. Wouldn't it make more sense, to get lost in such?
Life sucks, then you die.

My problem is there have been times when its a clear moonless night and I still get "The sand swirls around you" when I do a look. Does that make any sense?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

July 21, 2013, 07:03:04 PM #2 Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 07:06:29 PM by bcw81
Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 21, 2013, 10:25:38 AM
My problem is there have been times when its a clear moonless night and I still get "The sand swirls around you" when I do a look. Does that make any sense?

But no, yeah, in the dark I can see that small sandstorms would blind you under low light conditions. The moons are effectively the only natural light source one has, and if they're not up, then you're going blind one way or another.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I've always interpreted this as a bug - there are some conditions of lighting and weather that give you a result that doesn't quite add up.

i.e. moonless, clear night in the city streets and you get the blinding sands room desc, even with a lantern out. You can't see inside the room, but don't lose your bearings when you walk.

This has been around since the storm code was made, so I think it's something we're going to have to live with. I generally just RP a sudden sand storm, since everyone around you will experience the same code anyway, despite what the weather command says.

Could someone make sense of this please:

before dawn>
n
You can't see a thing; sand swirls about you!

before dawn>
weather
It is a cool night.
A cool breeze blows from the south.

No storms indicated. Is this a bug?
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Do you have a light?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

All that message means is it's too dark to see.

Of course I have a light but when its too dark to see some places say Darkness. Why the difference? If there is no storm shouldn't all be the same. I could move one block in the city and it will say Darkness. Move another and it will say The sands swirl around you. Despite no change in the weather and it being a clear night. Just trying to figure out why it would be different.

If you have no light and there is any amount of weather and the room is dark, you will know that:

a)  it is dark
b)  the sand is swirling around you (whether it is a breeze or a full-fledged sandstorm)

If you have no light and there is no weather around you and the room is dark, you will know that:

it is dark
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

A mild storm will not block out the light of the sun, but it will diminish any handheld light source to make it very, very hard to navigate. However it wont be blowing hard enough to turn you around or completely disorient you. That's why you wont be able to see rooms, but you will be able to go in the correct direction.

Some areas of the city, like a sheltered plaza or the bazaar, will block out enough of the storm for you to be able to see and navigate clearly with moonlight or a torch.

Quote from: Nyr on August 13, 2013, 01:27:17 PM
If you have no light and there is any amount of weather and the room is dark, you will know that:

a)  it is dark
b)  the sand is swirling around you (whether it is a breeze or a full-fledged sandstorm)

If you have no light and there is no weather around you and the room is dark, you will know that:

it is dark

But I always have......His Light.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

August 13, 2013, 02:14:49 PM #11 Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 02:16:23 PM by Delirium
This happens when the weather is clear and you have no light source, but there is a 'minimal' amount of light in the room itself. Places like roads tend to be this way. If you light a torch/crystal you will be able to see.

If the weather is not clear (I.e. there is any sand in the air no matter how little) a torch will not solve your woes, but at least you aren't in pitch darkness.

The echo is a little misleading but check the weather and you will know which scenario you're in.

I think that is my whole point that the echo is misleading.

It's a feature of the unpredictable weather in Zalanthas. :P

I can see how it might be misleading...

...but I can also see how it makes sense to give you (on the same line) information about the room that is pertinent. 

You can't see a thing.  Also, on a slightly related note, since you're moving from one room to another or actually looking around, you're getting extra details about the room, and one of those details is that sand is swirling around you at this very moment in time, which means that the wind is blowing and this is a desert world!

How could it be worded instead and still be a very short add on to the description given?  Use a period instead of a semicolon to separate the two separate things?

I think the moral of the story is that there is always sand in the air, no matter what the weather report says. :D

Quote from: Nyr on August 13, 2013, 02:44:03 PM

...but I can also see how it makes sense to give you (on the same line) information about the room that is pertinent. 

You can't see a thing.  Also, on a slightly related note, since you're moving from one room to another or actually looking around, you're getting extra details about the room, and one of those details is that sand is swirling around you at this very moment in time, which means that the wind is blowing and this is a desert world!

How could it be worded instead and still be a very short add on to the description given?  Use a period instead of a semicolon to separate the two separate things?

>It's too dark to see clearly.

The adverb "clearly" qualifies the extent of your ability to see - you -can- see - but not clearly. Plus - it's not clear, because it's dark - not because there's sand swirling. It's not SO dark that you get lost, but it IS too dark to see clearly. This - for when the weather report says the air is still or calm or whatever - or there's a gentle breeze - no storm, no sand kicking up, no sudden gusts of whirlwinds. Just generic clear weather, and too dark to see clearly without an extra light source.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I like Lizzie's verbiage.  Might I also suggest that on such nights all other things become figures such as they are when they speak, and that the room title still shows up. It's not so dark you can't see, otherwise you couldn't walk.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Honestly, I think the storm code could be removed entirely within cities and very little of worth would be lost.  His Light/His Shadow/Templars/Gemmed protect us from that crap.

Having to spend twenty minutes twiddling your thumbs after stepping outside the Gaj should never be someone's first impression of the game.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

I don't disagree with that at all.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: Lizzie on August 13, 2013, 03:01:51 PM
Quote from: Nyr on August 13, 2013, 02:44:03 PM

>It's too dark to see clearly.

The adverb "clearly" qualifies the extent of your ability to see - you -can- see - but not clearly. Plus - it's not clear, because it's dark - not because there's sand swirling. It's not SO dark that you get lost, but it IS too dark to see clearly. This - for when the weather report says the air is still or calm or whatever - or there's a gentle breeze - no storm, no sand kicking up, no sudden gusts of whirlwinds. Just generic clear weather, and too dark to see clearly without an extra light source.

Yes this, and if you want to add this in the right areas

You feel the sands swirl around you!

Quote from: lordcooper on August 13, 2013, 04:03:16 PM
Honestly, I think the storm code could be removed entirely within cities and very little of worth would be lost.  His Light/His Shadow/Templars/Gemmed protect us from that crap.

Having to spend twenty minutes twiddling your thumbs after stepping outside the Gaj should never be someone's first impression of the game.

I normally like to add a little more to discussions, but in this case:

+1
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on August 13, 2013, 05:18:59 PM
Quote from: lordcooper on August 13, 2013, 04:03:16 PM

I normally like to add a little more to discussions, but in this case:

+1

I agree with this as well.

A first time player points to the 'rinth getting "You can't see a thing" immediately... Can be very off-putting too. Then again I seem to remember the Mantis turning into the new spawn location for Rinthers, a while back. Maybe I dreamed it.