Mugs, tankards, etc and how full are they really?

Started by slvrmoontiger, July 14, 2013, 01:40:29 AM

Just wondering why sometimes you'll get a mug or a tankard and using drink you'll polish it off in one drink when other times it takes two drinks before emptying it. Even in the seediest bars in real life usually the amount something holds is pretty consistent.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Vennant didn't like the look of you that night.
This is magnificent, and it's true! It never happened, yet it is still true! What magic art is this?
Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadowtruths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot. Sandman

The amount of liquid consumed in a drink isn't necessarily always consistent is what you're seeing - not a varying of liquid volume in identical liquid containers.

And I have no idea why, by the way, so don't ask me to elaborate.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Also, different drinks are not always sold "full". You'll notice especially with shotglasses, that they're usually sold half full, because full would be two shots (drinks).
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on July 15, 2013, 05:14:40 PM
Also, different drinks are not always sold "full". You'll notice especially with shotglasses, that they're usually sold half full, because full would be two shots (drinks).

Right I understand this concept. I was speaking of mugs not always being the same compared to other mugs, like I'll buy one and take two drinks and its gone, I'll buy another and take one drink and its gone.
I am unable to respond to PMs sent on the GDB. If you want to send me something, please send it to my email.

Quote from: slvrmoontiger on July 15, 2013, 05:34:04 PM
Quote from: James de Monet on July 15, 2013, 05:14:40 PM

Right I understand this concept. I was speaking of mugs not always being the same compared to other mugs, like I'll buy one and take two drinks and its gone, I'll buy another and take one drink and its gone.

Mugs IG come in different sizes just like they do IRL.
Choppin muthafuckaz up with mandibles since 1995.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on July 14, 2013, 02:58:36 AM
The amount of liquid consumed in a drink isn't necessarily always consistent is what you're seeing - not a varying of liquid volume in identical liquid containers.

Oh, two other things - if you're taking about identical mugs (same drink purchased) this is based on how thirsty your character is.

If you didn't buy the same drink at the same place, but the mugs look the same (same sDesc) they might not actually be the same item. There are lots of items with the same sDesc that have different mDescs or different item codes / different stats.
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on July 15, 2013, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on July 14, 2013, 02:58:36 AM

Oh, two other things - if you're taking about identical mugs (same drink purchased) this is based on how thirsty your character is.

If you didn't buy the same drink at the same place, but the mugs look the same (same sDesc) they might not actually be the same item. There are lots of items with the same sDesc that have different mDescs or different item codes / different stats.

Talking about identical mugs. So I would get thirsty the second drink when I wasn't even thirsty to start with? This fluctuates a lot because I could buy the same drink three times the first would take two drinks the second one the third three. Its just very confusing on why it would be like that.

It happens with waterskins too. It just depends on how thirsty you are. If you are thirsty you are going to gulp more instead of taking smaller drinks that make the drink last longer. Even if your score says you're not thirsty.

I wish the size of a 'gulp' of drink was less. Always find it a bit weird slash immersion breaking when my char downs a mug of ale in one go. Would be nice to have a drink last 5-6 'drinks'. Whether the size of the 'mouthful' can be made less or whether this would require making mugs apparently huge (but less alcoholic?)... I don't know.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Yeah or tea only takes 3 sips to drink. Who has ever had a cup of tea that's gone in 3 sips that would take what one drink probably. What's the deal with that?

It's OK to roleplay taking a longer time to drink your drink, with emotes.

drink mug (gulping)

emote Sticking a finger in, @ scrapes some remaining foamy residue from ~mug and licks it up

emote Apparently really enjoying ~mug, @ lifts it to allow every last remaining drop to drain into ^me mouth
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on July 16, 2013, 09:51:53 AM
It's OK to roleplay taking a longer time to drink your drink, with emotes.

drink mug (gulping)

emote Sticking a finger in, @ scrapes some remaining foamy residue from ~mug and licks it up

emote Apparently really enjoying ~mug, @ lifts it to allow every last remaining drop to drain into ^me mouth

Sometimes I do so much emoting about drinking, I forget to actually drink what's in the mug.  Then I feel awkward and put the mug on the bar and pretend its empty.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on July 16, 2013, 11:18:00 AM
Sometimes I do so much emoting about drinking, I forget to actually drink what's in the mug.  Then I feel awkward and put the mug on the bar and pretend its empty.

Guilty

I would hate for mugs and tankards to be five or six 'drinks'  If you are sitting at a bar with five other people, all having a drink, that's twenty-five to thirty echos just for drinking.
Sip or drink your drink and then emote enjoying the rest of it until your PC is done.

Quote from: i can haz mantis on July 16, 2013, 11:41:40 AM
Quote from: LauraMars on July 16, 2013, 11:18:00 AM

Guilty

Guilty as well.

In the other required commandd for manipulating my precious booze, I often get an extra drink or two in.

Hold mug (raising it high) [taking the first drink soon after]
put mug bar (after a final gulp)
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on July 16, 2013, 03:34:19 PM
In the other required commandd for manipulating my precious booze, I often get an extra drink or two in.

Hold mug (raising it high) [taking the first drink soon after]
put mug bar (after a final gulp)

Ahaaa... so that was you... hmm...

Totally kidding. I'm sure there are many people that do this, myself included.

Good points made. I generally RP out a longer drink anyway (as most seem to do) and wouldn't want additional spammage. Just always feel a little cheated OOC'ly about empty my glass really was.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game