More questions!

Started by Micro102, July 10, 2013, 12:55:11 AM

July 10, 2013, 12:55:11 AM Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:33:19 AM by Micro102
Sorry if I am beginning to clog up the forums, I'll try and keep my questions all in this topic form now on.

How do you look at different tables in a tavern?

Can you edit/delete board messages?

How does one usually get a job? So far, I can only see posting the request on a board, logging off, and hoping someone looks at the board, and responds with another message. That, or you stay logged on for who knows how long, waiting for someone to type that they saw your message. Both seem completely inefficient.

I am a merchant with a set goal, should I just say "screw it" and make a more uncaring warrior so all I really have to do is pick a job request and go with it? Would that delete my merchant character? If so, could I remake him the same as he was later?

Quote from: Micro102 on July 10, 2013, 12:55:11 AM
Sorry if I am beginning to clog up the forums, I'll try and keep my questions all in this topic form now on.

How do you look at different tables in a tavern?

Can you edit/delete board messages?

How does one usually get a job? So far, I can only see posting the request on a board, logging off, and hoping someone looks at the board, and responds with another message. That, or you stay logged on for who knows how long, waiting for someone to type that they saw your message. Both seem completely inefficient.

I am a merchant with a set goal, should I just say "screw it" and make a more uncaring warrior so all I really have to do is pick a job request and go with it? Would that delete my merchant character? If so, could I remake him the same as he was later?

You're not clogging anything up. Asking questions is what this forum is for, so ask away!

To look at tables in a tavern: "look tables". That will give you a list of the table places that are available to sit at. Go ahead and sit at the bar if you want to; it's open to everyone and is usually the most talkative and social spot in a tavern.

You can't edit or delete board messages after you've posted them. Only staff can do that. While you're typing and formatting your message, you can use commands to preview and edit it. Type ".h" while in the editor to see the list of commands.

If you want to get a job, try sitting at the bar in the most busy tavern in the city and asking everyone if they know who you'd talk to in order to get the kind of job you want. I guarantee someone will know. The busiest taverns are going to be the Gaj in Allanak (second most busy is Red's Retreat), and the Sanctuary in Tuluk. These should be marked on your maps and are pretty central in the cities.

If you don't want to play your current character, you can put in a storage request, then staff will store your PC and you will be free to make a new one. However, you will not be able to go back to playing your current character ever. It's fine to store your PC if you want to, but maybe you just need to find him/her a job first and try that out? Up to you. If later on you wanted to make a different character of the same guild from the same city, that's fine. (However, you can't ever re-use the same name on a different PC.)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I know I used the look tables command, but it was in the beginner room so I may have thought that it did nothing.

Also, how to I check how hungry/thirsty I am?

Type 'score'. It will give you all kinds of information about your character, including hunger and thirst. 'Stat' is another useful command, as is 'inv' (short for inventory).

QuoteI am a merchant with a set goal, should I just say "screw it" 

Don't assume life will deal your PC the cards you are wanting. You are not writing the story here. :)

But yes, sitting on that bar stool at (game time)  night normally moves you forward in some way.
Good luck with your PC anyway, while you have him, and hope you enjoy the ride.

List table

will give you a list of all table in a room.

Look table, look 2.table, look 3.table

will yield a look at each of those tables if there are more than one table.

Look table

Will automatically list those sitting at the table, the chairs available at the table, and what is on the table.

Look (table's description)

Defines the specific table your looking at and looks at it.

SO YOU WANT TO WORK

My response to this is from a simple stance, message boards suck for this. People will seek you mind a few times maybe. If you not available they will assume your dead or not around enough to continue trying.

I find it is best to just talk about your desire to work and what you want to achieve with those in a tavern. Speak loudly about your interest in making things, or pushing things.

I also would make a few things, simple things and if your aim is to hawk things as well then make some snappy pitch that you call out to people. Do this is taverns or places heavily traveled by pcs.

Basically draw the attention you need to achieve your goal.

Posting things and waiting is the slowest and near least effective way to get work. Generally those that succeed with such posts are clans, because they generally have a secured structure and ranked people or family members to get hold of that are less prone to the wander lust death of new crafter #3093, Amos the builder.

The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

July 10, 2013, 09:33:33 AM #6 Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:44:28 AM by Lizzie
Also about tables, and discovery of every other coded object in a room: the syntax is KEY.
key tables
will return a list of all visible table objects by number.

1. a squat, broad-legged boabab table
2. a rickety scarred table
3. a long obsidian bar
4. a pile of fluffy pillows
5. a rickety scarred table
AND - when the game's server resets, that list will be in reverse, until the -next- server reset.

To target a specific table:
sit at 3

>The green-haired man sits down at a long obsidian bar.
or sit bar (discovering a vacant seat at the end) [and tugs his gloves off]
>Discovering a vacant seat at the end, the green-haired man sits at a long obsidian bar, and tugs his gloves off.
or emote approaches ~2.table and doffs his jaunty cap.
>The green-haired man approaches a rickety scarred table and doffs his jaunty cap.

Regarding message boards and jobs: The message boards aren't actually being read by characters, so no, you won't find people responding via those message boards. You also wouldn't be posting them in a manner of a "post on a message board." You'd be spreading a rumor, that characters might overhear.

Example of not good:
"Hi I'm Malik, I'm looking for a job. I'm a merchant and I can make swords and silk gowns. I'll work for cheap if you provide the materials. I'll be around between 6 and 8 est. Leave a message, thanks."

Example of good:
A couple of hunters remark that there might be a new guy to sell their bones and stones to, and maybe get weapons made for them in return. They say his name is Malik, and he has green hair, his most prominent feature. He's also a bit on the short side, has a puckered scar on his cheek. He was last seen after mid-week and before late-week, and indicated he would make his rounds of the bars during those days.
----
This allows would-be employees to know:
1.  They can find Malik's mind, or find him personally - by using the keywords "Malik" and "green".
q.  If there are more than one Malik with "green" as a keyword, they'll know when they see him,
     that it's him, because of that scar on his cheek and his outfit being mostly brown.
7.a He's a crafter of some kind, and definitely makes weapons, so anyone wanting to hire a weaponsmith might be interested.
b.  He's around after mid-week, before late-week - which means anyone looking to hire someone
     after supper time eastern time, is likely to find him.

But it tells them in a way that they would have *heard* it, rather than *read it*.

When looking for work actively in-game..an example of what Potaje suggests:

sit bar
talk (looking wistfully over the selection of exensive wines) You know, one of these days I'll be able to afford to buy everyone a round here at the bar. I just need to get the right job.
talk (eyeing a liveried Kadian hunter and offering a quick smile) You know, I can work with silks a bit. Father was tops with a needle and taught me a few stitches before he got run in by an elf. I was just a kid then. But I'm sure I could catch on quick if someone gave me the chance.
talk (making a sawing motion with one hand, his gaze flitting over toward a hunter carrying a broad-bladed half-sword on his belt) I could probably do something like that too. Maybe I should talk to Salarr. Do y'know who I should ask for? Name's Malik, if you know anyone looking to hire.
emote reaches for a few coins from his pocket and plunks them down in front of ~bartender.
buy #7
hold glass (swirling the liquid around and inhaling its fruity fragrance
sip glass [and smiles appreciatively]
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Well, I'm in a situation where I cannot play for long periods of time right now.

Should I just stay afk until I can play more often? Is there some sort of IC disease or something to explain why people sleep for years or something?

August 05, 2013, 10:12:16 PM #8 Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:13:58 AM by Barzalene
Play whenever you like. It's a game. You're not signing up to drive an ambulance.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Micro102 on August 05, 2013, 10:00:07 PM
Well, I'm in a situation where I cannot play for long periods of time right now.

Should I just stay afk until I can play more often? Is there some sort of IC disease or something to explain why people sleep for years or something?

You can just be offscreen. Most characters have an offscreen life where they do mundane things. It helps if your character has a Virtual family he can go off and help with things.

Though honestly you can usually play arm with short playtimes if you want. There's just certain aspects of it you won't be able to get involved with.

I often log myself in for 30 minutes at a time because that is all I have.  It really depends on your character but most characters I can think manage little bursts of playtime just to keep yourself active and "in tune" with your character.  If you are looking for a job, don't really treat it as such and instead look for contacts.  We all know from experience in real life that social networking is the way you can get gainful employment and connections go a long way with everything in life from getting your car fixed by a trusted mechanic, to getting a promotion.

I often treat looking for a job, work, or something to do in Arm the same way.  I don't open with, "Hey, you got any work?".  I open with, "Hey, hows it going?"  It goes from there, branching out into learning someone's name and having a real conversation.  Once the names are exchanged and you share something real, maybe a story or some background about yourself then suddenly you'll find yourself knowing a few people and hearing things, learning, becoming friends and then one day its all, "Lets go salting?  Want to work for my House?  You should join the Byn with me!"  Or, you can ask those questions yourself and someone you're friendly with might have another friend or someone they know to send you to...

I don't think I have ever used the boards for trying to find work or House employment or anything like that.  I just socialize and mingle, and soon things fall into place even if they weren't your original intentions they feel realistic and rewarding to pursue.

Quote from: Micro102 on August 05, 2013, 10:00:07 PM

Trust me, you would not be the first Armageddon character whose player was inactive for a while.

I have been a clan leader multiple times with guys who could only play for an hour or two here and there, or whose schedules were completely unpredictable. It's fine. We deal with it. No hard feelings. If I had a karma point for every time my availability as a player unexpectedly dried up, I'd have enough to order Morgenes around.