Barehanded hunting

Started by DustMight, July 09, 2013, 10:29:10 AM

July 09, 2013, 10:29:10 AM Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:30:47 AM by DustMight
Realistic or skillmaxing twink-ass behavior?

Edit to add:

I can see the idea of a Gage Gritshaw or something fighting scrab barehanded - might even be a cool concept - but when you run into Joe tribal-pants doing it?  I dunno, seems suspect.

Quote from: DustMight on July 09, 2013, 10:29:10 AM

I think you know the answer.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

The mere fact you're asking should tell you the answer.

Even if certain class/race options might be okay with it it's be a product of nurture vs nature. Growing up knowing we all use weapons, even non combat classes, wouldn't we all keep them and use them?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Barzalene on July 09, 2013, 10:30:20 AM

I think you know the answer.

Thisssssssssssssssss.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

how else will i know i'm training off/defense instead of accidentally training slashing weapons??? i don't have a lcan so i cna't do rough circle

I was being passive-aggressive.  ;D

actually, you may be right

July 09, 2013, 10:45:14 AM #7 Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:56:07 AM by Desertman

Edit to add:

I can see the idea of a Gage Gritshaw or something fighting scrab barehanded - might even be a cool concept - but when you run into Joe tribal-pants doing it?  I dunno, seems suspect.

Gage Gritshaw did do this a few times for a very specific reason.

He let a bunch of wild but relatively harmless (things you could actually handle/subdue barehanded with minimal risk to your person) animals loose within a northern noble estate's walls. He hunted and caught them barehanded so they would live.

They stayed there for a very long time fleeing anytime someone would enter a room with them heh.

He got kicked out of that noble House for this, and also for being caught sleeping naked in a hammock on the front porch of the family member's mansion by a Chosen Lady.

He tried to tell them up front, "I'm not noble House material." They didn't listen.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

It's unrealistic.  Put in a player complaint if you see anyone doing something that stupid; we will handle it.

Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on July 09, 2013, 10:46:43 AM
It's unrealistic.  Put in a player complaint if you see anyone doing something that stupid; we will handle it.

First 2.arm and then this?  My dreams of playing PUNCHCAT are dashed.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Wait, what? What's unrealistic about grabbing something small like a vestric or a tregil, mauling it to the ground and strangling it to death? I mean if your character can do it and get away with it, then he can. And if he can't, then he dies, end of story. What's twinish or abusive about that?

Quote from: Suhuy on July 09, 2013, 03:09:17 PM
Wait, what? What's unrealistic about grabbing something small like a vestric or a tregil, mauling it to the ground and strangling it to death? I mean if your character can do it and get away with it, then he can. And if he can't, then he dies, end of story. What's twinish or abusive about that?

It really depends. Small defenseless animals should be okay, if your character can do it codedly and RP-wise. Punching animals with teeth/claws/spiky shells/etc is just idiotic though.

when i go turkey hunting i def use my bare hands

all the other hunters mirin my brute strength and cat-like ambush capabilities

I guess if your character is a psychotic sadist that enjoys prolonging the death of small animals while looking like a retard, go for it... but it's still going to look strange and everyone knows you're just doing it to try and raise your off/def.

I used to do it to Gizhats, just for the challenge and the knowledge that I could.

Then I found out it was bad.

It was very, very bad.

I got punished. Don't get punished guys, it goes into your account notes and makes staff go  :-\
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

But my dreams of a feral half-giant.  :-\
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Even cavemen used clubs.

July 09, 2013, 03:43:00 PM #18 Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:45:49 PM by DustMight
Quote from: Suhuy on July 09, 2013, 03:09:17 PM

Think about it - if the creature is liikely to bite or scratch you, you would in RL use a tool or weapon.  Gram might have used her bare hands to twist the head off a chicken, but it's not going to try and peck anyone to death while a tregil or vestric will kill you if you are unconscious and have aggro'd it.

Even now when we kill a chicken we use an axe or knife and they are nowhere near as wily or able as a tregil, vestric or any of those other small critters.

Also:  Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Edit to add: I think that if I did pass out in the barnyard the chickens might kill me if I lay there long enough.  I don't trust the bastards.  The goats either.

In that respect there are some creatures people hunt that even with a weapon is pretty damn unrealistic.

Alligator Wrestling.

That's my two bits.
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: hatchets on July 09, 2013, 03:55:06 PM
Alligator Wrestling.

That's my two bits.

That's freakshow stuff not normal.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on July 09, 2013, 03:57:38 PM
Alligator Wrestling.

That's my two bits.

It also doesn't really have that "punch this critter to death or be torn to shreds" feel to it.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 09, 2013, 04:01:04 PM
Quote from: Barzalene on July 09, 2013, 03:57:38 PM
Alligator Wrestling.

That's my two bits.

It also doesn't really have that "punch this critter to death or be torn to shreds" feel to it.

It also isn't a world where your livelihood depends entirely on killing the alligator for its meat and skin.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

July 09, 2013, 04:26:37 PM #24 Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:43:58 PM by Desertman
It has little to do with realism.

I have said it before and I will say it again, Zalanthas is a world where people throw fireballs from their hands, dragons exist, you can fight creatures the size of a house with a sword made out of wood and win....So on and so forth.

Some guy punches a vestric to death and suddenly we are playing the realism card?

Let's just leave it at, "Codedly it is considered twinkish and this is an OOC restriction." Which is only the truth, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.