Barehanded hunting

Started by DustMight, July 09, 2013, 10:29:10 AM

Yes, when you edit a post to leave only the reasonable parts, it becomes more reasonable.  As a comparison between humanoid vs. beast combat scenarios, it's a magnificent comparison.  It's such a great comparison only because it relies crucially on an assumption of realism and consistency, as you yourself allude to!

However, it's a GDB trope that whenever someone tries to discuss the believability of this or that mundane code feature, someone comes around to bring up fireballs and dragons, and it's always completely irrelevant.  Bringing up fireballs and dragons has exactly zero logical consequence to a discussion like this unless the conclusion is "therefore, there is no realism (i.e. anything goes)."  If you can find the logical bridge between "there are fireballs" and "punch a vestric," then I tip my hat to you.

realism

people sneaking through doorways without being detected by people looking at them.

looking at someone in facewrap, hooded and immedaitly knowing them.

sitting with back to the door and knowing someone just walked in.

people ignoring vnpc population, and doing what they shouldn't.

making dozens of things in less then an ig day.

riding from tuluk to luirs, or storm to tuluk in one day.

running mounts to avoid being raided, or what have you.

going from near death to excellent by sleeping.

getting brutally beat in a sparring match, and going right back at it.

I can continue for a good deal longer.

unreal

taking on certain animals in the wilds with bare hands? Kryl yeah no chance, scrabs, mets, meks, salt worms, dujats not a chance. Various other things possible, depending on background of joe blow tribal.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

I don't get the big deal with realism vs. boxing a big, mean NPC.

If you're dumb enough to do that, you're going to get your ass handed to you. Problem solved.

Quote from: Rhyden on July 10, 2013, 03:09:49 AM
I don't get the big deal with realism vs. boxing a big, mean NPC.

If you're dumb enough to do that, you're going to get your ass handed to you. Problem solved.

I think the larger issue, is that there are some players that believe "Well, my character is ABLE to do that, to the big mean NPC, so I should be allowed to."

I'm not ashamed to say, as I did before, that I had a PC that would subdue and wrestle with gizhat. They are a big, tough, mean creature. But he could do it. Successfully. Without really getting torn up, he could wrestle that gizhat to the ground and take it out for the Knock Out.

But really... the problem here is "Just because the CODE allows me to do it, should my character really be going out and doing that? Is it just a flimsy way of practice offense and defense skills?" Some players say "If I can barehand a mekillot, I should be able to. If I fail, I get consequences from a coded perspective." while others, as well as staff, are saying "This is just twinkery, and if you think in terms of your PC, this isn't something they'd even fathom of doing, so just don't do it."

So its not "realism" versus "boxing an NPC" as much as it is "Code" vs "Roleplaying appropriately and taking the virtual world into account".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I remember when I was a newb and my friend and I were out hunting and saw some pc sitting on the ground fighting a kylori. After a moment we realized they had no weapon.

Thinking they were in trouble we rushed in to save the day, killing the Kylori to the pc on the grounds disappointment.

Come to find out they had been studying how Kylori's fight with no weapons (sorta of no weapons, but they do have natural weapons) and was trying to mimic it.

We felt foolish for helping. We thought they were foolish, and had no ooc realization they were twinking at the time. I do not even think we really under stood the code till much latter.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

I will say, I love the nay sayers. It makes me think of the real world in all the things that have been done, and are still being done, that at one point or another people have said just because you can you shouldn't. Electricity anyone? I already threw out alligator wrestling as it was more closely related. Heck take most of those animal shows of "I am going to go play with those venomous dangerous creatures."

You will have your admirers ICly and you will have the ones whom claim so and so is a loon for doing it.

But through all the debating of such things, let's not forget as some seem to claim staff has said not to do it....

What Nyr actually said was, run it by staff first.

So there may be incidences where it is approved and still done, and you should have your character react ICly to the thing they seen ICly happen, call them a loon or admire their prowess whichever suits you, or that fuzzy grey area where you could care less or too scared to say anything.
Life sucks, then you die.

I would never fight a dinosaur bare-handed. Maybe if I had bear-hands though.

Also. What if someone where a zalanthan martial artist?

Guys, guys.... Can we just not do stuff that doesn't make sense and/or nigh impossible to justify doing?

This thread blew up pretty quickly.

Naked. Gortok. Punch.
But I guess you just had to be there.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 10, 2013, 05:46:17 AM
Guys, guys.... Can we just not do stuff that doesn't make sense and/or nigh impossible to justify doing?

It's the GDB, they'll tucker themselves out from all the sissy-slapping and go back to whining about attractive female PCs getting all the sweet loot.

Just let the thread run it's natural course (which is into the ground).
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on July 10, 2013, 05:46:17 AM

Some of the problem, is that a lot of this applies mostly to new players who don't KNOW the difference. They don't KNOW that it's okay to sucker-punch a tregil, but NOT okay to wrestle a mek. If they're playing a dwarf (which is not a karma-restricted race) warrior (which is not a karma-restricted skillset), and they join the Byn, and train themselves into supreme buffhood, they -will- eventually be codedly capable of doing a whole lot of damage barehanded to a whole lot of nasty creatures that most human merchant characters would want to only get near, if the creature was dead and skinned into its useable parts.

But - the *players* of these buff, uber-strong, Byn-trained dwarven warriors don't know that they shouldn't be doing that because

a) they're too new to understand the nuances and that the restricted RP extends to interaction with NPCs, and not just to PCs
2) when you encounter a [redacted] for the first time and it engages you in combat immediately and the screen starts scrolling, AND you're new, you're not going to be likely to "look" at the creature and spend a few moments reading its mdesc. You're just gonna check to see if you're still alive. And if you are, you'll swing back.
s) the code lets you do it.

You put all three of these things together: newish player having spent most of his training time in the Byn sparring ring, on his first trip out to encounter a fast-action nasty critter and the code lets him reel the thing with a sucker-punch...

and you get "I didn't know it wasn't allowed, and I didn't think it was twinkish."
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Yeah, it doesn't make sense to do it.  Make your argument to staff if you really feel you should be allowed to punch skeet or whatever idea you have that is a thinly-veiled excuse to skill up.  If you have a good possible roleplay idea, that's reasonable, but you should really run it by staff. Punching skeet "because it was fun" is an example of doing things the code allows you to do even though they don't make much sense.  Sure, it was fun.  I imagine it was fun to nail stuff to the ceiling with the arrange command (obviously you can do so because it is not prevented by code, obviously staff isn't checking every single arrange command and approving it in person, so I can write whatever I want).  I'll bet it was a real rip-roaring laugh to steal a table out of an occupied tavern and sprint it out of the city (obviously staff forgot to make the table "notake" so they intended me to take it, obviously I can take it so I can run away with it, obviously I'm carrying it so it's okay to run).  The code allowing you to do something doesn't mean it's okay to do it, nor does it mean that one should do it.  If ever in doubt, check with staff!

A few more quick points:

Quote from: Clavis on July 10, 2013, 03:00:28 AM
realism

people sneaking through doorways without being detected by people looking at them.

This is more than likely an unfinished example, it really depends on circumstances.

Quotelooking at someone in facewrap, hooded and immedaitly knowing them.

This is more than likely an example of bad roleplay.

Quotesitting with back to the door and knowing someone just walked in.

Since we do not have that much in the way of "positions" in rooms apart from "sitting," "standing," and "sneaking," this isn't really a good example.  You should roleplay turning to notice (or not notice, as the case may be).  However, I would hardly get bent out of shape about something minor like that; it's almost a non-issue.

Quotepeople ignoring vnpc population, and doing what they shouldn't.

We've docked karma for this when it is bad enough--surely that means it is poor roleplay!

Quotemaking dozens of things in less then an ig day.

This could be an example of poor roleplay, though it depends on the situation.

Quoteriding from tuluk to luirs, or storm to tuluk in one day.

The former:  not that bad at all.  The latter:  not that good at all!

Quoterunning mounts to avoid being raided, or what have you.

A good raider knows they just have to kill the mount, then. Or knock out the rider.  This isn't really a bad thing, it raises the challenge a bit.

Quotegoing from near death to excellent by sleeping.

That's how the code works; if you failed to actually roleplay the wounds in question, then you're a bad roleplayer.

Quotegetting brutally beat in a sparring match, and going right back at it.

Well, we've discussed this at length on the boards.  Consensus is generally "don't spar past a certain point," and "if you get beaten brutally you should probably consider yourself beaten brutally," and sometimes "we're using sparring weapons and while you might be pretty bad off codedly, you can roleplay it as bruises and welts and scrapes and what-not."  It's really more nuanced than you are saying.

QuoteI can continue for a good deal longer.

Based on the above, I wouldn't recommend it. The point you seem to be making:  "sometimes people roleplay poorly."  The next point you seem to make is:  "so it should be okay to barehanded fight an animal if I have a good reason."  No, that doesn't follow.

Quotetaking on certain animals in the wilds with bare hands? Kryl yeah no chance, scrabs, mets, meks, salt worms, dujats not a chance. Various other things possible, depending on background of joe blow tribal.

Various things are possible, depending on you talking to your staff about it and explaining why what you are planning to do makes sense...and them agreeing.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.