The Out-of-Wack Economy

Started by number13, June 11, 2013, 07:15:55 PM

He's advocating against the ticket idea. He's advocating for making bank accounts separate in different banks (even though that would be stupid because Nenyuk runs the bank structure and would KNOW who has what amount of money because they PROBABLY have ledgers and ledgers and ledgers that they read and write and keep track of)
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

November 29, 2013, 10:35:23 AM #76 Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:38:42 AM by Desertman
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 29, 2013, 10:19:02 AM
He's advocating against the ticket idea. He's advocating for making bank accounts separate in different banks (even though that would be stupid because Nenyuk runs the bank structure and would KNOW who has what amount of money because they PROBABLY have ledgers and ledgers and ledgers that they read and write and keep track of)

How do those ledgers keep track of who has what account?

We don't have social security numbers, I.D.'s, or even signatures.

Do they write, "Guy with brown hair and brown eyes, named Amos, 745 coins in account."

How many of those are there?

The ticket idea cures this issue with the realism problem, if we are going to argue realism, which I don't think we should, but if you are, make sure to cover all of your bases. The account is not attached to a person that can only be identified on sight, and even then, how many people does that Nenyuki teller see every single day? They can't remember half of the people they interact with to match faces to accounts, so on and so forth.

You know what they can match? "This ticket was marked by the teller that gave it to them to signify the account it represents is worth 745 coins. This not refutable. It doesn't matter who holds the ticket. The ticket is for this account, and they have it. I don't have to remember the face of every single person in the Known now."

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

November 29, 2013, 10:59:34 AM #77 Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 11:08:28 AM by Agent_137
interestingly, allowing for vouchers would put you one enterprising nenyuki away from a modern money supply model. Nenyuki could start to loan out more in vouchers than they have in sid.

Tek and Muk could then legislate that a certain level of required reserves must be held by nenyuki. And then the god-kings could setup their own bank and charge nenyuki a certain rate to borrow from it.

LOLonomics.

the nice thing about the current banking system in arma is that it's not complex. complexity antagonizes playability.

It's not as if sids aren't close to paper money as it is. It's not as if they can be made into useful items melted down, etc. They are worth something because people agree they are.

Quote from: Desertman on November 29, 2013, 10:35:23 AM
Quote from: evilcabbage on November 29, 2013, 10:19:02 AM

How do those ledgers keep track of who has what account?

We don't have social security numbers, I.D.'s, or even signatures.

Do they write, "Guy with brown hair and brown eyes, named Amos, 745 coins in account."

How many of those are there?

The ticket idea cures this issue with the realism problem, if we are going to argue realism, which I don't think we should, but if you are, make sure to cover all of your bases. The account is not attached to a person that can only be identified on sight, and even then, how many people does that Nenyuki teller see every single day? They can't remember half of the people they interact with to match faces to accounts, so on and so forth.

You know what they can match? "This ticket was marked by the teller that gave it to them to signify the account it represents is worth 745 coins. This not refutable. It doesn't matter who holds the ticket. The ticket is for this account, and they have it. I don't have to remember the face of every single person in the Known now."

Wizards do it.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Pretty sure this was covered back before the thread was necro'd:

Quote from: Nyr on October 16, 2013, 08:42:19 AM
Quote from: Desertman on October 15, 2013, 03:43:45 PM
I'll save everyone the long drawn out version of the same thing I have posted before.

I'll give you the same short answer I gave then:  we're not changing banking to the extent that you suggested there.  We certainly can make tweaks but a wholesale restructuring of how banking and the entire economy of Zalanthas is not something we're reviewing right now because it works well enough to suit the purposes of a functioning game.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.