Server Time

Started by Marauder Moe, June 07, 2013, 11:52:29 AM

We're not the only people who have posted on the thread.

If you abandon the phrase 'Server time' you are then back to having to switch between EST and EDT.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

While we're at it, here's a completely unambiguous way of scheduling the coming RPTs that started this thread:

Late Morning on Barani, the 186th day of the Descending Sun in the year of Silt's Peace, year 9 of the 22nd Age.
Late Morning on Cingel, the 202nd day of the Descending Sun in the year of Silt's Peace, year 9 of the 22nd Age.

This is a joke. Please, do not ever use this as a means of communication. Why did I put it here? Because though it can only mean one time, it's hard to use. I think we're suffering from a lack of information, not from having the wrong information. And we're making too much of an issue out of it.

Quote from: Maso on June 07, 2013, 01:57:06 PM
We're not the only people who have posted on the thread.

If you abandon the phrase 'Server time' you are then back to having to switch between EST and EDT.
You could just say "Eastern US", and everyone, including newbies, will understand that it essentially means the time for New York.  That's what the TV networks usually do.

That's what TV Networks do in America. That's not a concept that is particularly familiar for the rest of the world.

It took me like 6 months to figure out the shows weren't on when I was expecting them to be on. Especially since they give a time for Eastern and Central. What about West mofos?
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

The rest of the world has to figure out when server time is off by an hour just the same they'd have to figure out Eastern time.

West Coast US always knows they're 3 hours behind Eastern.

Eastern/EST/EDT and "Server Time" are exactly the same thing.

There's no real reason why someone can't be expected to remember that and what the difference in their time zone and the server is.

Hell, in Windows 7/8 you can even make multiple clocks that display along with your system clock when you mouseover it, so it would be even easier to aid in the time translation.

If this was really such a problem, I'm having a hard time believing that the mud lasted in excess of 20 years.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 07, 2013, 02:10:54 PM

I'm sorry, but you are just plain wrong.

Eastern, EDT, and server time mean the same thing right now, but they won't this winter.

EDT and EST never mean the same thing. EDT is UTC-4, EST is UTC-5.

June 07, 2013, 02:23:05 PM #32 Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 02:28:18 PM by Riya OniSenshi
Quote from: Drayab on June 07, 2013, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 07, 2013, 02:10:54 PM

I'm sorry, but you are just plain wrong.

Eastern, EDT, and server time mean the same thing right now, but they won't this winter.

EDT and EST never mean the same thing. EDT is UTC-4, EST is UTC-5.

In the context of relating the time compared to the Eastern Time Zone of the US, where the server is located, they are all interchangeable - EST/EDT when applicable. However, even when daylight savings is in effect, the majority of people know that EST is going to mean the Eastern time zone of the US.

"Eastern/EST/EDT" was meant to be a list in my post - meaning that which ever one is picked it going to be the same (or meant to be the same by the poster as so frequently happens)  as "Server Time".

Or are you suggesting some people use EST during EDT and actually mean to use the -5 rather than -4 UTC?

Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 07, 2013, 02:23:05 PM

In the context of relating the time compared to the Eastern Time Zone of the US, where the server is located, they are all interchangeable - EST/EDT when applicable. However, even when daylight savings is in effect, the majority of people know that EST is going to mean the Eastern time zone of the US.

"Eastern/EST/EDT" was meant to be a list in my post - meaning that which ever one is picked it going to be the same (or meant to be the same by the poster as so frequently happens)  as "Server Time".

Or are you suggesting some people use EST during EDT and actually mean to use the -5 rather than -4 UTC?

Yeah, I know that some players use EST and EDT interchangeably, but it's ambiguous at best, because those terms have specific meanings. Saying Eastern US time would be better because it implicitly leaves the daylight savings puzzle to be solved by the reader. This interpreting what the poster meant instead of what they actually typed is the very reason we should be using server time. That is, when somebody posts an RPT time in EST during summer, I realize they really mean the time on the website clock - EDT. Isn't it just easier and clearer to point directly at the website clock by saying server time?

FWIW, I have tried to make the Server Time a little more prominent on the page, and have included the user's time so you can see the comparison.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Drayab on June 07, 2013, 02:45:04 PM
Quote from: Riya OniSenshi on June 07, 2013, 02:23:05 PM

Yeah, I know that some players use EST and EDT interchangeably, but it's ambiguous at best, because those terms have specific meanings. Saying Eastern US time would be better because it implicitly leaves the daylight savings puzzle to be solved by the reader. This interpreting what the poster meant instead of what they actually typed is the very reason we should be using server time. That is, when somebody posts an RPT time in EST during summer, I realize they really mean the time on the website clock - EDT. Isn't it just easier and clearer to point directly at the website clock by saying server time?

That's what we keep saying - Calling it "Server Time" instead of "Eastern", "EST", or "EDT" (whichever being applicable), or using another, valid time zone results in exactly the same situation: the person needs to find out the difference between where they are and where the server is in relation to the time posted.

Calling it "Server Time" changes nothing, though having the server clock is better than not having one as it can be useful in aiding the time translation, and a thank you to staff for that and their work on its visibility on the new website.

Quote from: Morgenes on June 07, 2013, 02:50:00 PM
FWIW, I have tried to make the Server Time a little more prominent on the page, and have included the user's time so you can see the comparison.

Thanks, no more searching for it now!  :)

June 07, 2013, 03:12:01 PM #37 Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:15:31 PM by Drayab
I think I'm ready to agree to disagree at this point.

If you'd rather live in a microcosm where EST and EDT mean the same thing, unlike anywhere else I am aware of, and are simultaneously meant to be an alias for 'go look at the website,' as opposed to one where we we introduce a new phrase 'server time' which has no confusing connection to the outside world and also means 'go look at the website,' then be my guest.

But the next time somebody posts an RPT in EST, I am asking them if they live in Ecuador.  :-*

rpt is at x server time

"oh but I don't know what I am in relation to x"

ok so look at your clock
then go to the homepage

use math

done
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

but nyr i want to est/edt man why you make it so easy for us, I MUST HAVE SOMETHING TO DO

Quote from: Morgenes on June 07, 2013, 02:50:00 PM

That is awesome.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Wow, adding the local time was a nice touch. Now I don't even have to shift my eyes 20 degrees to see my computer clock!

I prefer to use Zalanthas time, thank you very much.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: manipura on June 07, 2013, 01:46:16 PM
???
Every time this issue comes up on the GDB I can't help but wonder why time zones are so difficult for people to figure out.

Quote from: Nyr on June 07, 2013, 03:13:03 PM
rpt is at x server time

ok so look at your clock
then go to the homepage

use math

done

Ohh, I see now. 
It's the math part that folks have trouble with...
;)

Quote from: Molten Heart on June 07, 2013, 03:32:59 PM
I prefer to use Zalanthas time, thank you very much.

Non-arm playing friend: "Hey dude, what time is it?"

Molten Heart: "It is currently early morning on Huegel, the 814th day of the Descending Sun, in the year of Silt's Peace, Year 9 of the 22nd Age."

Non-arm playing friend: "... :o"

Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Nyr on June 07, 2013, 03:13:03 PM
rpt is at x server time

ok so look at your clock
then go to the homepage

use math

done

it's a great addition, but...Kind of an eye sore?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Maybe someone can write a app for this?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I think server time is very easy to use. IMO, the point isn't really to make RPT times easier to determine for people in other timezones - that is already easy with basic arithmetic. The point of server time is to standardize RPT announcements and phase out the use of a bunch of different timezones to describe different RPTs.

Perhaps server time can be added to the output of the IG command "time" to make it easier for people reading IG board posts about an RPT or discussing playtimes with the OOC command. But I don't see an urgent need for change.