Seeng ldesc with a look.

Started by RogueGunslinger, June 05, 2013, 09:26:42 PM

June 05, 2013, 09:26:42 PM Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:35:38 PM by RogueGunslinger
It would be neat if you could see someones modified long description, when you look at them, underneath their main description.

What do you guys think?

l amos

Tall and broad shouldered this man has lots of other descriptive stuff here about his
awesome muscles and stuff. His eyes are a striking shade of blue. His hair is short. His
nails are trimmed. His limbs are long.
The tall, broad shouldered man leans against the far wall, and is in excellent condition.

Like a brief Ldesc?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Like my example. Another way to see peoples Ldesc without looking at the whole room. It doesn't really fit a purpose, so much as I thought it would be cool.

I figure, but I dig the idea and I just placed a name to it.  i don't about the second idea, though.
Fredd-

It would be neat.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 05, 2013, 09:39:02 PM
Like my example. Another way to see peoples Ldesc without looking at the whole room. It doesn't really fit a purpose, so much as I thought it would be cool.

It could replace the "S/he is carrying: nothing" line that irks me to no end...

This man is tall, broad-shouldered, and looks impeccably fit and muscular. He has
wavy brown hair and a chiseled jawline. Boys wish they could be him. Girls wish they
could be with him. In essence, he is superman.
The tall, muscular man is in excellent condition.

<on torso> a dark blue leotard with a strange red symbol on the chest
<about body> a bright red, flowing cape
<on feet> a pair of bright red boots

The tall, muscular man is flying.

It would read really nicely IG. :)
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I like the original idea. It would make sense to see what they're doing or their posture or whatever when you look at them.

Maybe a glance command, that gives a hemote echo and shows the ldesc and clothing, without the whole description, would be nice. When I look at someone these days I have to l amos (glancing momentarily at his codpiece) because otherwise sometimes it seems like the reactions I get are people think I'm staring at them or something, and it also feels kind of weird when looking at several people in a row and it's the same canned response every time.

That and I'm afraid to look at people because:
MASSIVE wall of text describing how her shimmering hair descends shortly past her buttocks, slightly browner and duller at the tips, where it clumps together with flies swarming it.

Then the inventory lists get pretty hefty in themselves, sometimes I find it more important to just see the clothes, those can tell you a lot. If I want the full thing, then I can look derpina (oggles her dumbly, eyes slowly creeping up her form).

This is not intended as criticism of any player in any way, I can appreciate a well thought out description, I just don't always have the time to read it with everything going on (and when that wall hits sometimes everything that was just said ends up on top of it like The muscular, manly man says, in southern accented sirihish "You better apologize right now or I'm going to murder you."). Wish I had one o' them fancy mouses with a scroll wheel, but this trackpad can make things like scrolling a little more time consuming.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

June 05, 2013, 10:41:57 PM #8 Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:46:36 PM by Delirium
Actually, that gives me a better idea (IMO).

Add position/ldesc to 'assess' command to avoid further cluttering up the 'look' results.

Assess man

He is in excellent condition.
He looks fully rested.
He is sitting on a plush velvet easy chair.

We could also include whether they're riding and if so, what.

I like Delirium's idea and the OP.  Both should be added.

Quote from: Khommie on June 05, 2013, 11:35:16 PM
I like Delirium's idea and the OP.  Both should be added.
Fredd-

I agree. Both would be lovely.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I like dis idea too.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I concur.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I'd rather not see ldesc with a simple "assess" - I'd rather see it put it in "assess -v" instead. Mostly because screen clutter when fighting is a bad thing.
With that minor change, I like these ideas.

Me likey. In addition, they need to change it so your change ldesc shows even when seated standing at/on something.

Because you can sit at bar, change ldesc is sitting under the counter, looking up skirts (or kilts, your preference)...  and every new arrival, have to re-emote how/where your char is positioned.
Quote from: jhunterI'm gonna show up at your home and violate you with a weedeater.  :twisted:

Quote from: InsertCleverNameHere on June 07, 2013, 04:50:48 PM
Me likey. In addition, they need to change it so your change ldesc shows even when seated standing at/on something.

Because you can sit at bar, change ldesc is sitting under the counter, looking up skirts (or kilts, your preference)...  and every new arrival, have to re-emote how/where your char is positioned.

Yes, please. I didn't even realize that it did not.

That's super crappy that it doesn't, because I always thought it did, and have been intermittently (apparently pointlessly) changing my pcs' ldescs while they were seated / resting on things for a bit over half a decade now.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Are you sure. New people coming in see your ldesc without having to reset it. You only need to re-do it if you sit/stand/rest AFTER setting it.

I don't recall ldesc changing to ever work while seated, standing at, or resting on a table/bar/couch/chair-like-object/bed/(work)bench/stool/pillow/rug/carpet or anything like that.... For me, anyway.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Dear god don't let this be true.

It used to work. Several years ago, that changed. I wish it hadn't.

June 07, 2013, 09:30:26 PM #21 Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 09:35:06 PM by X-D
Yes, I bugged it several years ago.

I think I remember when as well.

Did there used to be a time when you could not change position on furniture without getting up?

I swear I remember an announcement or something having to do with that or being able to sit/stand on/at different objects. But my search-fu is failing me.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I am almost certain the change happened when the silt skimmers were introduced and the way we interacted with table objects was altered as a result.

likely you are correct, I just remember that it happened about the time something having to do with furniture changed.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job