Travelling

Started by Narf, June 02, 2013, 04:18:31 AM

The tents are fairly big, though. Several people can fit in one. This may or may not be in line with the tent's room description, however.
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

June 04, 2013, 01:53:03 PM #76 Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:54:32 PM by chrisdcoulombe
A crowd forms outside the tent store, quickly becoming a riot.  You hear screams from desperate patrons, "These tents are too heavy!" "Tents Cost too much!"

There actually is a smaller tent now.  Maybe still too heavy I didn't weigh it but it fits in a normal size pack with other stuff in it.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Still pretty heavy, and costs as much as a good mount...given the description, both should be cut in half.

Specially when you consider that a mount takes more then one swing to kill.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Delirium and MeTekillot won this thread last page.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: X-D on June 04, 2013, 02:11:17 PM
Still pretty heavy, and costs as much as a good mount...given the description, both should be cut in half.

Specially when you consider that a mount takes more then one swing to kill.

I agree fully.  Tents are too heavy and cost too much in game.
I also agree with this.
Quote from: musashi on June 04, 2013, 07:00:36 PM
Delirium and MeTekillot won this thread last page.
Quote from MeTekillot
Samos the salter never goes to jail! Hahaha!

Quote from: gfair on June 02, 2013, 10:51:55 AM
Some thoughts on this:

- It seems ridiculously easy to travel the world, but I think part of this is simply that on some days you can travel between the two major cities and not encounter a single mob, and on occasion you encounter three or seven and things don't go so well.  One raider though, and the world freaks out. Perhaps we could bring back a raiding clan, albeit with steep limitations, something like:

• Maximum of two designated PCs able to raid at any one time (Or variable based on assessed need)
  • Designation only received after one game year and a track record with no twinking and good RP
  • Other PCs fulfill other existing tribe roles.
  • If the fear of abuse / excessive impact is a restraint, make the raiding positions a spec app and require more karma.

- Humans can indeed outrun a horse, but that's only at jogging speed, we can't out-run / out-distance them at walking or full-out sprint. Our ancestors, the anthropologists say, would jog down a Horse; at that speed a Horse would canter, a specific type of run that was very inefficient for the beast, and we would make it canter until it overheated and had a heart attack.  What's more - running in sand is something Humans are explicitly not good at.

- I was thinking of the "D-Elf / C-Elf: one species" thing and what came to mind was a skill that possibly ties into this thread: Distance running / endurance running. Species noted / required to run long distances (e.g. D-Elves, certain Tribal Humans, Gith, Halflings, Mantis) get the top-tier version of this skill. Everybody else gets a third-tier version. It reduces the endurance required to run a given distance, which is fundamentally how it works for humans when we learn to run. Those that are city-bound rarely get a chance to run, or rarely would if they can rely on big, powerful mounts. It at least unifies the Elf species code-wise, and confers advantage where the need for it is apparent, in the big open stretches of the world where survival and endurance go hand in hand.

For some reason, I really like this idea.  It increases the danger of the "dangerous" deserts from just attacks to actual, PC-danger.  It also gives something for the militias to do rather than just sit around all day.