Travelling

Started by Narf, June 02, 2013, 04:18:31 AM

June 02, 2013, 02:32:01 PM #25 Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:34:20 PM by hyzhenhok
Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2013, 09:50:33 AM
As a man who frequently walks with gear and extra weight either in a pack or carrying it, I can testify to the fact that carrying any manner of additional stuff makes your journey a lot harder. You get hotter quicker, you practically dump water if you're moving quickly with extra layers, and you fatigue faster.

All of that should be obvious but someone has to post it.

My 2 sids: If you're going to be able to run with anything above light encumbrance you need to take severe, knee-crushing, back-shattering penalties. If you're walking with weight, the same.

edit:
For context, my gear weighs about 30lbs, not including my weapon (10lb), or pack (50-80lbs). I can usually jog 5mph for about an hour before I need to start walking/running in intervals. If I'm just hiking with weight (no running,) usually I can go 10-15 miles before it's a good idea to stop for the rest of the day if I want to be able to do it again tomorrow.

And that's exactly why we shouldn't worry that allowing people to walk places would make mounts obsolete. Encumberance already affects stamina cost of movement. Just extend it so that once you're at easily manageable or higher, suddenly that hike down to Storm looks painful and miserable, and a hike up to Luir's looks downright impossible. Then most players will still be traveling with mounts. This is especially true if you combine it with my other idea, to put additional taxes on thirst.

And anyway mostly we're talking about walking here, not running. If we were going to change this, I would say while most races should be able to walk great distances before exhaustion, only delfs still should be able to run more than a few wilderness rooms at a time.

June 02, 2013, 02:43:34 PM #26 Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 02:47:07 PM by X-D
QuoteWe are biomechanically incredibly well suited for migration
To add to that, Humans use less energy just standing still then any other land mammal/lizard/bird.

QuoteIf we were going to change this, I would say while most races should be able to walk great distances before exhaustion, only delfs still should be able to run more than a few wilderness rooms at a time

I agree with that.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I used to walk long distances with gear in a wet, hot environment, Hawaii. My squad leader would sometimes fill my pack with canned beans, sardines, stuff like that and make me run to the front of the formation, and past that, on a twenty mile road march. I cannot tell you how hot that helmet gets or how badly I wanted to die for the next three days, but it was hell. Still, it was able to be done, it just, shouldn't be done. I think the guy who was my squad leader was an idiot.

Rest breaks? Maybe if you're lucky. I don't seem to have any memory of them, but maybe my brain was so fried from the heat and exhaustion that it was useless at the time.

Long distances can be indeed walked, somewhat encumbered and unsuitably dressed for the environment, if done responsibly, after rest, maintaining proper hydration, proper nutrition, and don't forget paying a little attention to cleanliness (or you will itch so bad down there and bleed and ooze you will wish you were dead). And not running with a pack filled with gear and someone else's canned goods (though you can do that, it's incredibly stupid).

That said, I once tried to carry an awkward, large television a mile and a half through the desert, and it dang near killed me, but I made it, by doing short sprints, setting it down, catching my breath and cooling off, pick it up again. I didn't move right for days.

All taken into consideration, I think the current mount system works fine and that a slight tweak to city elves would be nice.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 02, 2013, 03:35:39 PM
I think the guy who was my squad leader was an idiot.
Or he didn't care that you shed boot tears.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Decrease outdoors movement speeds with light encumbrance. Increase outdoors movement speeds with encumbrance levels above light.

Decrease mount stamina. Increase mount weight limit. This is even easy to code; up their strength, lower their endurance.

???

Profit.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Add a debuff so that after so much stam use, it makes you weaker. After about 200+ (ddepending, I guess) stam used up, you're losing your hydration quicker along with more stam use per room movement and slower reaction speed. Then bam, you start feeling fatigued. Lasts until you are fully rested in an appropriate spot. That would be realistic for travelling without proper breaks. I think a mount should always be necessary unless you have an appropriate race/whatever.

I don't see any point to doing this.

Mounts get exhausted plenty quickly. If you're spam walking what you know is a safe route and wondering why the world isn't more dangerous, maybe you should think about the fact that you're considering a best case scenario, and taking a path that people regularly clear.

If you want your mount to get tired more quickly, ride it off road, it'll happen. Just like pcs get tired more quickly when they walk off-road.

I don't think that lowering mount strength will assist with this, as I've had several beetles pop on logging back in over time that could only carry a single bag. Many pcs can already carry more than this, so that just seems pointless.

And if you lower mount stamina, it's only a matter of a week before the half of people who aren't in favor of this are on here bitching.

Make changes, people bitch.
Don't make changes, people bitch.

I think this is fine the way it is, personally.

If you want your mount to get tired more quickly, take a route that has rooms with a higher stamina cost (aka offroad the whole way).

If you simply want more danger, then... well... same advice. People travel the roads all the time to make sure no npcs are there waiting to attack. In multiple clans. So go somewhere they don't do this, and use -that- route when travelling.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2013, 03:49:09 PM
Or he didn't care that you shed boot tears.

I'm sorry, is that some form of more recent slang? I can't tell what you're saying here. Please explain "boot tears". I know the first time I came out of the gas chamber I had snot trails down to my boots, but, I don't think that's relevant.

That wasn't the only thing he did, but this thread isn't about that. It's about going long distances. If you have to you should be able to get up and go, maybe adrenalin code or something.

He lost three privates fresh out of basic to mental health, the other NCOs cornered him and threatened him about how he was treating me, then got me transferred.

What sucked most about it is often once we got there there was still stuff to be done. I heard about a 40 mile roadmarch my unit did before I was assigned to them where the supply guys decided to just take the day off, or got lost or something. Lots of injured, wounded, seems counterproductive. Was the training area on the big island between those two peaks (desert climate) with all the jagged rocks, had people collapsing on them and getting stabbed.

One guy got in serious trouble for a single frame comic he drew about it, with the caption "A day in the life of the crackhounds", depicting an emaciated soldier pouring sand out of a canteen onto the ground with a tear dripping from his eye. What was odd, all the other infantry units were somewhat big, muscular guys, ours were all skinny, angular, and mean looking.

Oh, you were Army?
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2013, 07:23:29 PM
Oh, you were Army?
* ShaLeah reaches down, adjusting the laces of her battered combat boots.

You got something against Army people, Marine?  :P

I'm against ANYTHING that would allow anything other than D-elves travel -long- distances on foot at one shot. Even upping city elves. They wanna "run"? They should have stayed in the sands where they belong.

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I don't care about stamina. Movement speed outside the gates could be fucking halved though, and agility should play a bigger role in how fast you move. 

Seriously outside movement should reflect the, on average, much larger rooms. I hate that people can walk by your and you don't even have time to 'l amos' to see them. Or emote at them, or anything. With an added delay you could spam walk, and still have an ability to emote, look every direction, talk with fellow travelers and be more mindful of your surroundings.

Nobody would know if you're spam walking. Also there should be a third speed. Walk, fastwalk/jog, run. As it is people think you're moving fast if you're spam-walking. In reality you're still just walking.

Quote from: ShaLeah on June 02, 2013, 08:00:08 PM
Oh, you were Army?

Yeah I'm sure those combat boots get really battered from all those boxes you kicked in the Army, Supply soldier.

Quote from: Da Princess on June 02, 2013, 06:18:06 PM
Add a debuff so that after so much stam use, it makes you weaker. After about 200+ (ddepending, I guess) stam used up, you're losing your hydration quicker along with more stam use per room movement and slower reaction speed. Then bam, you start feeling fatigued. Lasts until you are fully rested in an appropriate spot. That would be realistic for travelling without proper breaks. I think a mount should always be necessary unless you have an appropriate race/whatever.

I like this idea. Say increase stamina by some amount, but at the half way point you start getting penalties to everything including movement speed.

More coding though than just dropping the stamina stat for mounts.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2013, 08:16:30 PM
Oh, you were Army?

Yeah I'm sure those combat boots get really battered from all those boxes you kicked in the Army, Supply soldier.

My combat boots are older than you are, kid. Sit back and try doing SHIT without supply  :P

/derail

I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Yeah, when logistics fail, people suffer... I haven't seen it, that I can remember, but I've heard some stories...

Quote from: ShaLeah on June 02, 2013, 08:42:16 PM
Quote from: Is Friday on June 02, 2013, 08:16:30 PM
Oh, you were Army?

You got something against Army people, Marine?  :P

My combat boots are older than you are, kid. Sit back and try doing SHIT without supply  :P

/derail

BULLETS DONT FLY WITHOUT SUPPLYS WIFE!!

June 02, 2013, 10:51:30 PM #41 Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:55:43 PM by X-D
Most fun thing I ever did in the navy was remind marines they are just the Navy's GI's.

They get all red and puffy.

Which was even funnier because it is not exactly true anymore...the ones that actually know that puff up the most.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: X-D on June 02, 2013, 10:51:30 PM
Most fun thing I ever did in the navy was remind marines they are just the Navy's GI's.

They get all red and puffy.

After all, someone's gotta be a gate guard....
;)

(USN 77-80)

Wow, Older then me.

(USN 86-89)
Lizzie:

Quote from: X-D on June 02, 2013, 10:56:56 PM
Wow, Older then me.

(USN 86-89)

:)

There's an ex-USAF guy playing that's even older than me!  I think he said he enlisted in '73.

We sure derailed this thread.

For context, my gear weighs about 30lbs, not including my weapon (10lb), or pack (50-80lbs). I can usually jog 5mph for about an hour before I need to start walking/running in intervals. If I'm just hiking with weight (no running,) usually I can go 10-15 miles before it's a good idea to stop for the rest of the day if I want to be able to do it again tomorrow.

The hell kind of weapon are you toting that's 10 lbs.?

Quote from: Valincio on June 03, 2013, 04:20:27 AM

The hell kind of weapon are you toting that's 10 lbs.?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

Wikipedia says 8lbs but you're not including the other shit we put on there like super sweet lasers or if you have a 203.

This is a subject that comes up often enough and for me it always comes down to the same thing.  The players.  People are always going to min-max a system, even in a roleplaying game, and that is what we have here.  There are mounts better than other mounts and people sometimes cannot resist getting the best kind of mount to travel the entire known without stopping.

How often do you see someone who has "been around" a while running around with a lizard?  Not often.  They are riding around on top-tier mounts, even if they had a lizard from the beginning, they dumped poor Spot on the side of the sands for dead and started riding their new turbo-mount.

I bond with my mounts often enough and I tend to keep the same one forever, or until it dies, or is left behind, or I die.  But, I won't be upgrading to a new one once I get tons of 'sids.  I don't know that mount.  Mr. Jibblesworth has taken me all over the known and back, twice.  He's my fucking buddy.  I'm not ditching him for some uppity Inix.

This is one thing I have noticed when it comes to mounts, and travel.  I tried to put it comically, but in all seriousness people don't just ditch their horses in the real world for a new one.  They become attached.  You learn your mount, you ride it, and it becomes your friend.  I am sure all horse owners can attest to this.  Sure, practicality might mean you have to ride a new horse for some reason, but you don't just toss him aside because some other horse looks a little bit better.  And, unless you know all about mounts and animal husbandry perhaps you don't even know that Mount X is better than Mount Y, or Z.  You certainly do know, though, that Mr. Jibbles has carried you for several years, reliably.

I also think more people would be inclined to take longer journeys and even without mounts if some NPC's didn't track so well and quickly.  I've had some experiences with being tracked over many, many rooms and I knew I would eventually run out of stamina and die, no chance without a mount.  Nobody wants to die to RANDOM NPC encounter #43.  They just don't.  Especially if you're alone.  You'll just be a looted corpse or an afterthought that nobody knows what happened too.

I think I need to roll up a Desert-Elf, so I can run around and take my time enjoying the sands.