How do you feel about PC killing?

Started by Wastrel, May 30, 2013, 03:53:34 PM

Last time I killed a PC with regular combat was when gith were playable via spec app.  O/w I have killed a handful (4-5) over the last four or five years with the cast 'mon un die bitch die' from my litany of magicker-characters, but when they deserve it they REALLY deserve it (i.e. they may have backstabbed me when I was helping them or some crap like that).

I have done about 30 PK's over my years on Armageddon. Half of them were as a raider, the rest were either self-defense, bounties, part of work, etc etc. There is only one I regret, and think I shouldn't have done in retrospect. The rest were done for a good reason, even the raider kills. I didn't associate any particular feeling with PK over mob/NPC slaying, myself. If it had to be done, it got done.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

I've never PERSONALLY killed someone but I have PERSONALLY led to players being killed by hiring someone or ordering or whatever. And it made me feel AWFUL.

However, that being said? Kill my character any time you like. Really, as bad as I felt about it, I have no qualms with my character(s) being offed, ever, and especially would enjoy so if it's well played.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: boog on May 31, 2013, 07:05:31 PM
Kill my character any time you like. Really, as bad as I felt about it, I have no qualms with my character(s) being offed, ever, and especially would enjoy so if it's well played.

For the record I feel the same way. -And- I have been pk'ed TWICE while AFK. Twice.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

going afk in arm seems like a recipe for disaster

Quote from: Beatrix KiddoBut you can take my word for it, your mother character had it comin'.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I have no problem dealing someone the Drov card. It's just one character, and if there's an IC reason, go for it and enjoy the thrill of ending someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcJs4qJPQ_M&feature=youtu.be&t=38s

I've got a few PKs under my belt.... I feel alright about PC killing, to be honest.

The only time I feel bad about it is when it truly wasn't the "in-character" thing to do, and I think there's only one of those.

To that one elf that got ganked in undertuk by a little hunched green piece of bastard, I'm sorry.

I kill when I think my character would, though usually I like to find reasons to extend the story and ramp up the conflict before chasing a final end.

Sometimes I hate to do it, especially if I love to hate the PC I'm interacting with. But I won't hesitate, if it's in character to do so. Them's the breaks in ArmageddonMUD.

I've killed quite a few characters in Arm, either directly or by having others do it.

I have absolutely no problem with it, though I feel fairly grungy if it's a locked room / no chance situation.

In general, I much prefer alternatives to killing, but most characters tend to be too noble to be turned / too proud to accept humiliation / feel their journeyman chopping weapons mean they can take on the world.

I've also noticed most people are far more inclined to just killl / loot in Arm then accept groveling, bribery, servitude and such for some reason, which is pretty boring.
Someone says, out of character:
     "Sorry, was a wolf outside, had to warn someone."

Quote from: Wastrel on July 05, 2013, 04:51:17 AMBUT NEERRRR IM A STEALTHY ASSASSIN HEMOTING. BUTBUTBUTBUTBUT. Shut. Up.

Journeyman chopping is not to be trifled with my friend.

Quote from: Vwest on May 31, 2013, 11:54:54 PM
I've killed quite a few characters in Arm, either directly or by having others do it.

I have absolutely no problem with it, though I feel fairly grungy if it's a locked room / no chance situation.

In general, I much prefer alternatives to killing, but most characters tend to be too noble to be turned / too proud to accept humiliation / feel their journeyman chopping weapons mean they can take on the world.

I've also noticed most people are far more inclined to just killl / loot in Arm then accept groveling, bribery, servitude and such for some reason, which is pretty boring.

too noble to be turned / too proud to accept humiliation.

This happens a lot a lot.

Sometimes people are just asking for it. Most of the time, they are just asking for it. It's odd that some still seem surprised.

The amount of people that hold up under threat of death and torture is crazy.

I have killed mostly these type of people, and I had no problem with it OOCly. Not even a little.
Alea iacta est

Quote from: racurtne on June 01, 2013, 12:59:12 AM
Quote from: Vwest on May 31, 2013, 11:54:54 PM

too noble to be turned / too proud to accept humiliation.

This happens a lot a lot.

Sometimes people are just asking for it. Most of the time, they are just asking for it. It's odd that some still seem surprised.

The amount of people that hold up under threat of death and torture is crazy.

I have killed mostly these type of people, and I had no problem with it OOCly. Not even a little.

I'm kinda turned on by that.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I kill PCs when they need killing. There are many reasons for needing killing. Its all in context really. I have no hard feelings towards getting PK'd nor towards PKing somebody. Its part of the exhilarating part of the game to be honest.
"I stalk the shadows, I am the one who wears that friendly face. Behind your every move, there is nothing you can do. Pride yourself in the fact that you do not already rot and bake. Be prepared, I am always watching." - Allanaki Assassin

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 01, 2013, 12:30:44 AM
Journeyman chopping is not to be trifled with my friend.
It's excellent for removing scalps. Especially from Boogs PCs.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I've only ever PKed one person. And it was an arena fight so I don't feel like it counts.

I've been PKed three times. I'm still mad about one of then. One was when I got roflstomped by a >sap in the middle of a conversation. And the last was the only one where I felt like the other player wasn't a total nob.

I got PKed in an arena once.

I got kudos. It was fun, and awesome.  ;D
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

The only time I got PKd and felt angry about it, was when I was asked to do something by my boss, walked into a shop, and *beep* mantis head.

It furthered a plot, sure, but man what a way to go.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

June 02, 2013, 05:48:19 PM #68 Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:50:13 PM by Celest
I actually feel like a lot of PK makes the world less harsh. The IC and OOC attitude toward it is so casual that it doesn't really carry any emotional weight for me anymore. PK is raised as a threat for everything, from sitting at a bar with someone in a bad mood to having a relationship (between people of the same species) that an uninvolved third party doesn't like. "Do what I want, or I'll have you murdered" is like the Zalanthan way to say hi. It's to the point, for me, where I'm more annoyed that I have to greb salt/clay/whatever for a while to get a new character on their feet again.

I wish that there was more effort put into being creative with revenge, punishments, threats, persuasion, etc. than everyone resorting to murder.

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 02, 2013, 05:13:41 PM
I got PKed in an arena once.

I got kudos. It was fun, and awesome.  ;D

So have I. Nothing like dying to clapping.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: Celest on June 02, 2013, 05:48:19 PM
I wish that there was more effort put into being creative with revenge, punishments, threats, persuasion, etc. than everyone resorting to murder.

Agree on this totally, we need more intrigue and assassination and backstabbing and filthy, underhanded feuds.

Quote from: gfair on June 02, 2013, 06:10:42 PM

Agree on this totally, we need more intrigue and assassination and backstabbing and filthy, underhanded feuds.

Assassination and backstabbing are likely yet more murder (if done right), filthy underhanded feuds could certainly result in a number of deaths. Are there not MORE ways to prove your dominance, superiority, creativity, intelligence etc. to another character than killing them? I think there are plenty, and possibly more beneficial to the character using such methods.

It's not about knowing how to use the sword, it's about knowing WHEN.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

I'd find that a problem(people not looking for good alternatives to murder) if people actually were PK'd more than they were offed by NPC's, storage, and suicide. Sadly that just isn't the case. PK's are actually kind of rare, in my experience.

And honestly there's only SO creative you can get with revenge before things escalate.

Quote from: gfair on June 02, 2013, 06:10:42 PM

Let the record show that the tagline is...
Murder... Corruption... Betrayal....

In my four or so years of play, I don't think I've killed more then 2-3 PC's - and their deaths weren't usually planned and/or expected. If my character is out for revenge, I don't usually do it directly. I try to get others involved. Give it some room to fail or out right be turned around on me. I would like to think that most players put a lot of effort into their characters, so to have stroll into the room with me and lock the door and insta-gank me without so much as a bit of preamble would intensely infuriate me.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.