Talking emotes

Started by Fredd, May 30, 2013, 02:59:25 PM

Alright, I should have asked this 5 years ago. But when you talk and emote, sometimes the action is at the begining of the sentance, and sometimes it's at the end of the sentance. Is there a way to make sure it's in a specific spot?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

As far as I know...

It shows up at the beginning when you use 'tell', and the end when you use 'talk'. Reliably.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Appending this to Amanda's, but if you use (brackets) it will normally be at the beginning, where if you use [brackets] it will normally be at the end. You can use these in conjunction with each other.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Help command emote explains it.

To paraphrase, talk only allows pre-emotes.

And now, I feel like a noob.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

In my experience, it always shows up as thus:

tell:

Whatever soandso's doing, soandso tells you, in sirihish:
    "Like this."

and talk:

At your table, soandso says, blah blah blah stuff they're doing:
     "Or like this"
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Yep. If you're using a command that exclusively accepts pre or post emotes, you can enclose your emote in any of (), [], or **, and the emote will reliably appear in the same spot no matter which style you choose.

If you're using a command that accepts both pre and post, as bcw81 was alluding to, then you choose to put an emote before the action by enclosing in (), and you put an emote after the action by enclosing in [].

It's all in the help file.

Quote from: Drayab on May 30, 2013, 03:14:06 PM
Help command emote explains it.

To paraphrase, talk only allows pre-emotes.

Thanks for the link.
"You were right. I don't know if life is greater than death. But love was more than either."

Quote from: lordcooper on September 25, 2013, 04:46:37 AM
Stop bringing OOC notions into the game.  Zalanthans bleed when they get hungry

Quote from: Fredd on May 30, 2013, 03:16:47 PM
And now, I feel like a noob.

Everyone except XD is a noob.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.