I just died, and it was amazing.

Started by phrase, May 27, 2013, 02:31:36 PM

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2013, 06:46:04 PM
We have to make the new players think we're serious. If they thought we had a sense of humor ... ... no. No let's even contemplate.

Don't get me started!

Eat a dick, guys >.> Too often I've seen threads devolve into senseless flaming when it started off as "joking around" because people get butt-hurt when they can't tell the sarcasm apart from your average douchebaggery.

Quote from: rpgguy2000 on May 29, 2013, 05:33:25 PM
Questions regarding Combat Emoting
Honestly, get familiar with the combat scroll and whatever animals you're fighting.

Personally, if I'm not aware of someone or a creature's combat prowess, I'll stick to short, vague emotes - so that I'm not distracted if something unexpected should happen (ie. "the critter bites you on the head, doing frightening damage!"). You've gotta remember, while emoting is awesome for bringing the game to life - That mekillot storming in from the east isn't going to emote as it spam-attacks you.

I tend to stick to code first, then fit in roleplay when appropriate.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Also, if you play a combat pc for a while and encounter a new pc, do not emote too much until you're sure that they can get out of a bad situation. It sucks to kill someone by mistake in the sparring ring.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: rpgguy2000 on May 29, 2013, 06:12:18 PMWhat about making certain emotes staples for skills? What I mean by this is take bash for example. What if I make an alias called bbash and basically is this:
emote holds up ~sword to his side before charging headlong at full speed.
bash

All this does is add a bit more description to the bash then what's in the coded description. I look at it like a "coded emote" - I won't ALWAYS use "bbash" and I can certainly use "bash" with another emote before or after it uniquely as I choose, but there's a good chance I'm going to use "bbash" more than a few times. I think that's a gray area... do you think it's acceptable to re-use this "type" of emote? Where all it does is add a tiny bit of flavor to the coded text of a skill but that flavor is re-used?
As I said before, I don't think it's against any rules, but people will notice.  I suspect a lot don't care.  I suspect those that dislike personal canned emotes at least slightly outnumber those that think they're cool.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the practice.

QuoteEDIT:
That got me thinking... there should be certain things that people, out of habit especially and just general mannerisms, do the same way every time and should be fine for emote re-use as long as it is worded properly. Like the way a person limps when they walk, or the way they lower the hood of their cloak... hrmmm...  ???
Not a favor of this case either.

I think it's better to roleplay your character's mannerisms yourself, being mindful of the moment, than to construct an elaborate scripted machine to attempt do it for you.

I think this advice is even more apt for newer players who may not have mastered the skills of emoting and being mindful of your character's actions and circumstances yet.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 29, 2013, 07:18:18 PM
Eat a dick, guys >.> Too often I've seen threads devolve into senseless flaming when it started off as "joking around" because people get butt-hurt when they can't tell the sarcasm apart from your average douchebaggery.

... ... I see what you did thar.  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Lol.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2013, 07:20:57 PM

Lol ;P
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Personally not a fan of canned emotes.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on May 29, 2013, 07:22:24 PM
Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2013, 07:20:57 PM

Lol ;P

:-*

I'm not a big fan of canned emotes either, however that being said writing up a few originals before an RPT or some such and throwing them out in the midst of combat adds some nice flavor I think.

Sure no one is going to read them in the heat of the spam ... but people log and go back through it with a fine tooth comb later, and then its like finding diamonds in the sand  :)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I like consistency with my characters, I like them to move the same way and laugh the same way and walk talk eat shit drink the same way so I don't mind those kinds of emotes at all.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Being calm enough to type out a long, well-thought out emote in the middle of an RPT is a sign of complete coolness.

My first serious RPT was when Luir's fell to the mantis. I was an itty-bitty bynner. I managed to type "kill mantis" a lot. Barely.

By the time of "Q1: Queen of the Demonweb Pits" (The RPT, not the AD&D module), it was a whole new game. It's not that I've become more creative, but that I can now multitask most of the things needed to keep my character alive. That leaves me time to type out, while watching the screen-scroll:

>think (focused) We don't need me to live. We need Bob. Without Bob, we all die.
>contact leader.jim
>psi Leader Jim, Bob's our only hope. Whatever else happens, without him we're dead.
>cease
>hem takes a slow breath, looking about
>look shadow
>kill shadow
>em snarls as he faces ~shadow, eyes wide with fear
>forage mantis.head

You'll get there. We all get there in time.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Well, I don't think I will be using aliases for emotes unless I'm preparing things ahead of time for limited use or there is a very specific exception.

If I've learned anything about combat emotes from the responses so far I'd have to say it would be: while not necessary, consistency is good, but canned emotes does not equate consistency
"I wouldn't go that way if I were you, there are two thumpers eyeing you from the alley and waiting to brain you. Maybe if you twist His Arm with some black they'll disappear. They'll stab them in the squinters and make their eyes glow like Jihae."

When I've been playing a character long enough I start adopting some emotes with such frequency and likeness that I wouldn't be surprised if some thought it was a 'canned emote'.

When changing characters I usually shed all that, though sometimes I'll slip up, and wonder if someone recognizes that trait I accidentally slip in, or keep from one character to the next.

I suggest everyone try to shake up their roleplay from time to time. Try to figure out things you do frequently and at the very least find a new way to say it. Bringing the world around you into emotes is one of my favorite ways, to add a bit of flair.

Quote from: musashi on May 29, 2013, 07:01:20 PM
I can tell you who wouldn't ... Gunnerblaster and James de Monet  :P

Yeah, cause I'm totally serious all the time.   ;)
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

I'm sorry, but eating dicks is not a flame. That's considered a delicacy in some parts of the world.  ::)

Regarding the question, I suggest familiarizing yourself with combat first.

Once your character has enough defense to protect you from the mantis head, you should feel much more comfortable throwing out some emotes. I love pvp, because you can change your moves to fit the complexion of the fight as it unfolds.
Quote from: staff
A staff member sends:
     "Likely a flub in the machine. It does not understand birthdays! (But it understands death like no one's business.)"

I don't care about the derail :)

So I've gone through a couple more characters, and although none of the deaths have been quite as cinematic (dying of thirst in the salt flats, getting my ass handed to me by animals), it's just made me want to play more.

Ahhahahahahahahahah XD
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Quote from: phrase on May 30, 2013, 02:45:35 PM

So I've gone through a couple more characters, and although none of the deaths have been quite as cinematic (dying of thirst in the salt flats, getting my ass handed to me by animals), it's just made me want to play more.

Welcome to the addiction. Sadly, there's no 12 step program or rehab. We do have coffee mugs though, or used to.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Can you recommend a good... "newbie goal" that will help me learn more about the game? I've basically just been wandering and chatting to people at taverns... Which is awesome, but I kind of want this character to get a bit further in.

Quote from: phrase on May 30, 2013, 03:09:38 PM
Can you recommend a good... "newbie goal" that will help me learn more about the game? I've basically just been wandering and chatting to people at taverns... Which is awesome, but I kind of want this character to get a bit further in.

Join a clan.

As a new character, "further in" doesn't mean outside the walls.  That way lies death.

Stick around, live a while.  Get a job.

May 30, 2013, 03:13:43 PM #96 Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 03:17:39 PM by Norcal
Quote from: Fredd on May 30, 2013, 03:01:49 PM

Welcome to the addiction. Sadly, there's no 12 step program or rehab. We do have coffee mugs though, or used to.

Cinematic death is not hard to find. I am sure many would love to help you out. Welcome to Obsessive Armageddon Disorder. Dasari is working on a cure, but without success to date.

Oh, and Moe is right. Get a job. I'd suggest a Noble House since you already have a PC going. Human tribals if you start a new one. Loads of fun either way.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Hah!

Back around mid-2003 or so, I had a warrior PC I made, got in game and had just ridiculous stats, I don't think I've had better still since then. Was so happy, planning how awesome a warrior I was going to have, killing -everything-!!! Bought all my shiny gear...

Sandstorm...

Starved to death because there was no money left to buy stuff.

Made me so angry and hating of the game that I had my next app submitted in no time. Still doesn't make any sense to me!

Quote from: Norcal on May 30, 2013, 03:13:43 PMOh, and Moe is right. Get a job. I'd suggest a Noble House since you already have a PC going. Human tribals if you start a new one. Loads of fun either way.
Some noble houses are OK for newbies (mainly the martially inclined ones).  Others aren't.

Tribals are not a good newbie choice, if they'd even be accepted.  Tribal characters need to have a lot of background knowledge.

For a player interested in exploring the outdoors, I'd suggest one of the Great Merchant Houses (Salarr, Kadius, Kurac).  The T'zai Byn Mercenary Company is also a wonderful clan for new players.