This was made using.... (Enhanced Value Skill)

Started by Fragmented, May 14, 2013, 09:22:19 PM

After having spent some time playing a crafter/merchant type, I've come to find something a bit confusing/bordering on annoying.

Some items made use craft skills that one would think were actually created using other craft skills.

An example in point - a wooden, tool-looking doodad. It looks like a tool, right? It must be made using toolmaking. However, it actually is made with woodcrafting. (This is a bogus item, of course.)

I could easily rattle off 20+ items that are confusing like this, but I won't since.. you know.. that's probably frowned on.

What I propose then is a simple addition to the value skill:

You value an item (you probably need the value skill, maybe even at a certain level to see a successful message)

A wooden tool-looking doodad would seem to cost about 5 obsidian pieces.
A wooden tool-looking doodad would seem to weigh 1 stone.
A wooden tool-looking doodad was made using woodworking.

It could possibly also require you to have the particular craft skill mentioned to give you feedback, but I'd really have to wonder if that's necessary.
Changes were implemented so that even people without 'slashing weapons' can identify a weapon as a slashing type. I think the same logic would
apply to this, though I'd not be broken hearted if this was implemented under the proviso that to get feedback (or accurate feedback) one must have
the craft skill in question.

Something like this was actually already suggested. The staff verdict was that it wasn't going to be changed.

If there are specific items that seem very irregular for what skill it requires to make them, you could send in a request to staff. They might be able to tell you why a certain item is made with a certain skill and if for some reason there is something wrong, they could adjust it.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

It would be nice if things that could be covered by either skill...could actually be covered by either skill. It's a tool but it's made entirely of wood? It can be made by toolmakers and by woodworkers.

I agree, this particular little quirk of the crafting system is a little confusing.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Fragmented on May 14, 2013, 09:22:19 PM
I could easily rattle off 20+ items that are confusing like this, but I won't since.. you know.. that's probably frowned on.

If you could, please put in a request and I'll look at those items for you.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.