Armor proficiency skill

Started by Harmless, May 03, 2013, 01:05:39 PM

Quote from: Qzzrbl on May 06, 2013, 03:26:56 AM
I only have two things I'd like to see with armor-- both of which are probably already covered.

2. Better use from matched armor sets. Makes sense that you'd get better results wearing bits of armor that were designed to be worn with eachother, right?

If this idea had a brain I would dissect it to learn its intricacies.

Quote from: Harmless on May 03, 2013, 01:05:39 PM

I think it'd be nice to have an armor proficiency skill in this game. Some way of accounting for getting used to wearing it all the time. It'd be nice if the "effective encumbrance" of armor (when worn only) was reduced somewhat further as the wearer gets used to it. I think it'd be cool if there were two or three basic categories, for leather/hide/cloth materials, shell/chitin/bone, and for the heaviest materials third like obsidian.

This would be a way to make strength a somewhat less vital stat for the purpose of beating out encumbrance, and allow for high endurance warriors and so on to be more viable as they wouldn't be so slowed down by the weight of their armor as they gained skill.

I'm sure it's been suggested before, but in any case, here's the suggestion again.

Instead of having a skill to make endurance more viable for fighters, why not just make the endurance stat itself have more an effect in general?  Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe endurance has any effect on combat, other than dictating max hitpoints (used up when you're hit) and max stamina (used up when you perform certain combat actions).

Instead of a skill, why not have high endurance have an additional effect of reducing overall encumbrance?  Yes, extreme levels of weight for your character's strength limits currently reduce fighting ability and dictate additional stamina loss for movement.  But endurance doesn't really have any play if you're standing there, or fighting (without using additional combat actions).  A high endurance bonus to encumbrance could take into account the ability for your character to actually take that weight longer than other (similar strength) characters.

As an aside, what I'd like to see an armour proficiency skill for is for armour degredation (and I would very much like to see armour deteriorate more quickly in general, which would open up not only the reason for having the skill, but also the reason for having armour repair skills and potential for further pc interaction as a result).  I'm sure I suggested this several years ago, but I don't think it went anywhere.
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Without giving away too much, endurance already does a -bunch- of stuff as a stat as-is, especially when it comes to combat.

I like to think that the strength star encompasses everything about strength in general, sustained stress included.

I dunno about increased armor degradation... Seems like that'd be more incentive to have two or three sets and visit the tailor frequently, which you'd need a place to store all your heavy stuff, or... Just do without... I don't know about all the logistics to acquiring and storing all the repair materials, but it could leave a lot of people with no real source of income in a bad way, I would think.

But, I dunno. Still new here, what do I know?
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: Fujikoma on May 07, 2013, 12:33:10 PM
I dunno about increased armor degradation... Seems like that'd be more incentive to have two or three sets and visit the tailor frequently, which you'd need a place to store all your heavy stuff, or... Just do without... I don't know about all the logistics to acquiring and storing all the repair materials, but it could leave a lot of people with no real source of income in a bad way, I would think.

But, I dunno. Still new here, what do I know?

I don't know if this would be abuse, but someone could effectively use their local armor tailor to store their heavier armor (tailor the item and just never pick it up until they wanted it, if the item is already tailored they'll still have to pay when they pick it up.   There is one problem though and that is determining which ticket is for which piece of armor, as all the tickets look the same.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

I'd consider that a bit twinky, but I do believe you can rent items at the bank for a (probably prohibitively large) cost.

Quote from: Kismetic on May 10, 2013, 05:11:40 PM
I'd consider that a bit twinky, but I do believe you can rent items at the bank for a (probably prohibitively large) cost.

Only jewelry.
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Molten Heart on May 10, 2013, 06:51:22 PM
Quote from: Kismetic on May 10, 2013, 05:11:40 PM

Only jewelry.

Probably because of its size.  That'd be a fun character idea, renting a warehouse to lease as storage space for PCs, but I can see where it would get tricky.