Lalalalalalala I can't hear you!

Started by Barzalene, May 03, 2013, 11:00:55 AM

I just wanted to lobby again for an ignore feature on the GDB. I have filters on my clients on my desktop and laptop. But several times a week I need to remind myself that if I've gone to the trouble of setting up tampermonkey on my computer I should't read them on my phone. Then my head explodes. Then I get banned from the GDB. Then I rage quit. Then I turn to crack, prostitution and a life of crime.

Please can we consider an ignore feature?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

My finger has this crazy feature that allows me to scroll past posts I don't want to read.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on May 03, 2013, 11:07:47 AM
My finger has this crazy feature that allows me to scroll past posts I don't want to read.

Sounds too complex. I want a coded way to display my passive aggressiveness on the GDB!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

It's like a car crash.

You hate the fact that you want to look so bad, and then you can't help yourself.

Self control, the ultimate ignore feature.

I also highly recommend just not letting the online community have such a profound affect on your person. The internet is a dangerous place if you forget it's just the internet.

Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

How would it to be displayed? I would quietly not see the people I don't want to see. They'd never know.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on May 03, 2013, 11:17:39 AM
How would it to be displayed? I would quietly not see the people I don't want to see. They'd never know.

Because you could then reply to some posts with, "Oh, sorry, I didn't see so-and-so's message because she's on my ignore list, that's why my answer isn't making much sense, I must have missed part of the discussion."

Seriously, just ignore the posts and users you don't like? If me, the King of failed self-control can do it, anyone can.

Much as I can sympathize with your plight (and as often as I've reviewed mods for SMF), I am not sure we would implement that sort of function on the discussion board.  It's a possibility, but it is probably an unlikely one at this juncture.  It does open the door to some issues that we would have to adjust for, and we'd have to figure out a lot of other stuff for implementation, too.

We do have rules for what is/isn't appropriate for the GDB.  If you think that a user is a problem, please bring it to staff's attention and we can review the situation.  If they're being annoying enough to make you want to ignore them, it could be worth reviewing.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Fair enough

Huh? Barz is on my ignore list so I missed this whole OP.

Seriously what would happen if someone you ignore started a thread?  :P
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

May 03, 2013, 10:08:45 PM #9 Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:11:01 PM by Malken
Quote from: musashi on May 03, 2013, 10:05:11 PM
Huh? Barz is on my ignore list so I missed this whole OP.

Seriously what would happen if someone you ignore started a thread?  :P

A thread with a generic title and a generic user name would be seen instead, and this is what the user would see:

Actually, I have had several people on my ignore list for years, and have never posted that I've missed part of a conversation. I don't passive aggressively mention it. (Until today, and that was overtly aggressive.)

But when they start a thread, I see the thread title, and the fact that they posted. But their posts do not appear.