Mortality Rates by Guild

Started by Gar, August 26, 2003, 11:41:05 AM

I'm wondering if statistics are kept for PC mortality rates (or life expectancy in days played) by guild or race.  If they are, I wonder if they'd be available.

My guess would be that there would be certain races such as elves that would be low.  I'm sure the karma races and guilds would be skewed since they supposedly are played by more experienced people.

But to me, even more interesting, is that I see certain types of guilds come and go quickly.  Most often because they do things they shouldnt be doing.  As I'm writing this, I'm thinking that perhaps I shouldn't go into detail since maybe that's IC info?  Anyway, I see lots of certain guilds come and go, mainly because they push the envelope which for them is thin to begin with.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

Hmm...Let me see if I understand this.  You want some sort of rating for which class dies the fastest?

That's a tough one.  I don't think the staff keeps track of this at all.  The reason is, many people chose certain classes for attributes or skills that they get, and the classes aren't really a good determinant of your career choice.  For example:  A player chosing warrior or assassin or any of above may end up RP'ing out the life of a merchant.

However, I will say this.  In whatever career you choose to RP out, there is always a chance of danger and death.  You could get in the way of a templar or noble and piss him/her off, or an assassin, or a jakhal, get crushed by a mekillot...There is no truly "safe" profession in Zalanthas.  Yes, certain people in certain professions may be long-lived, but that's mostly depends on luck. ;)
Does that answer your question?
Ashyom

Not just luck.  Smarts and cowardice help, too...  :)

Quote from: "ashyom"Hmm...Let me see if I understand this.  You want some sort of rating for which class dies the fastest?

Yes, that was what I was asking.

Quote from: "ashyom"
That's a tough one.  I don't think the staff keeps track of this at all.  The reason is, many people chose certain classes for attributes or skills that they get, and the classes aren't really a good determinant of your career choice.  For example:  A player chosing warrior or assassin or any of above may end up RP'ing out the life of a merchant.

However, I will say this.  In whatever career you choose to RP out, there is always a chance of danger and death.  You could get in the way of a templar or noble and piss him/her off, or an assassin, or a jakhal, get crushed by a mekillot...There is no truly "safe" profession in Zalanthas.  Yes, certain people in certain professions may be long-lived, but that's mostly depends on luck. ;)

Does that answer your question?
Ashyom

No, it doesn't but I was not expecting a straight answer.  I understand all the RPing etc.  I was simply wondering if there are certain "coded" guilds that are more shortlived than others.  I have my suspicions but it'd only be a guess.  

Really, my few characters have been relatively long lived, I'm not looking for an answer for me to be longer lived but rather I see certain "coded" guilds dying more frequently.  Sure they might not be RPing their coded guild.  And sure my view is certainly not worldly, that's why I'm asking here.  But, again, I was just voicing a question I had, not really digging for the absolute truth, wondering if others felt the same.  No big deal.
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?

It isn't about guild or race, it is about behavior.  My guess:  People who remain in lawful areas, and in large groups, usually live longest.  People who travel in lawless areas die sooner. People who are always alone die sooner.  People who commit crimes poorly in lawful areas die sooner.

Allanak thieves have a triple penalty: they usually work alone, they usually try to commit crimes in lawful areas at times, and they usually spend some time in the 'rinth, and lawless area.  On the other hand, you can be from a thiefly guild and work as Lord Templar Hardasses personal pedacurist, never leaving lawful areas and always travelling with a bunch of other servents, and live a long, long life.

People who work as hunters (usually rangers, warriors or the hunter subguild) spend a great deal of time in lawless areas.  Many travel in small groups, but there are also very dangerous creatures and raiders popping up in unexpected places, and that can ruin your whole day.

Merchants can live long if they stay in the city, but if they go outside to forage for materials or to travel to another city to trade, they are in great peril.  Merchants do not fight well, and may have difficulties even running away from danger.

Some guilds may be more likely to engage in dangerous behaviors, but it is the behaviors themselves and not the guilds that lead to short lives.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I heard that the mortality rate of the Overlord class is pretty good.

We don't track mortality rates, but I've got to agree that it depends greatly on style of play, rather than class.