What almost turned you off the game WHEN YOU WERE NEW

Started by Morrolan, April 30, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

Quote from: BleakOne on August 01, 2013, 01:07:08 AM
There was one other guy who I witnessed die during the HRPT whose death seemed totally out of the blue, but it was also awesome, and I suspect it had good reason too.

Not necessarily "good reason" in the way you are thinking, but yes.  I can explain later on, probably.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Barzalene on August 01, 2013, 07:30:48 AM
On the Nyr Zul thing... I wish someone would delete it. It feels really inappropriate. Especially in this thread. It's uncomfortable to read.

+1

I feel like I should threaten them with, "I will turn this car around right now!"

Seriously, come on guys. If I was a newbie and read that, it would be the reason I was almost turned away when I was a newbie.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

What almost turned me off when I was first came?

OOC player and staff attitudes affecting characters in game.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Desertman on August 01, 2013, 10:16:50 AM
On the Nyr Zul thing... I wish someone would delete it. It feels really inappropriate. Especially in this thread. It's uncomfortable to read.

+1

I feel like I should threaten them with, "I will turn this car around right now!"

Seriously, come on guys. If I was a newbie and read that, it would be the reason I was almost turned away when I was a newbie.

Yep, I'm still a newbie, but it's stuff like this that puts me off.

On the other hand, it's good to see a proper reaction from Nyr, as opposed to it devolving down into the usual forum contest....kudos good sir!

Apart from that, most of the things that used to annoy me, have grown to make sense in the long run. Leaving me realising the uniqueness and potential of this MUD! :)
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

What almost turned me off when I started playing was the sheer amount of documentation. I think I spent about 2 days reading every single help file, everything I could turn over, because I was convinced I couldn't start playing the game until I knew it all. I was equally frustrated and excited. I originally found the game through TMS, and had just played Achaea and thought it was awfully boring. But ArmageddonMUD, though it seemed exciting and I loved the Dark Sun campaign setting, was so much WORK!

In retrospect, i'm really glad I did read as much as I did, because it turned into an investment for me, which is what truly makes this a lifelong hobby for me. When my first Red Stormer died, I rolled up a new one right away. And then another. And then another. And then another. Then I moved on to Tuluk. And then Allanak. And then...

So, in essence, it's funny how the thing that 'almost turned me off' when I was new to Armageddon is also responsible for why i'm still here, in part.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

I'm so used to totally trying to ignore staff/player/ooc conflict on other games that... seriously, my inability to follow white on black scroll is a way bigger deal as a newb.

Quote from: Eurynomos on August 01, 2013, 12:05:27 PM
What almost turned me off when I started playing was the sheer amount of documentation.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Desertman on August 01, 2013, 10:16:50 AM

+1

I get what you're saying and I've moved it to moderation.  It shouldn't have been posted here, it shouldn't have been posted on the GDB, but occasionally when players call out staff on our board and accuse of this or that and complain about unfair treatment, they'll get a response.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: BleakOne on August 01, 2013, 01:07:08 AM
On the Nyr-Zul thing above, from what's been said I'm pretty sure I know what they are talking about, and I'd have to agree with Nyr. Forces were at work far beyond any PC's, no matter how powerful, and death is the only reasonable outcome of such confrontation.

There was one other guy who I witnessed die during the HRPT whose death seemed totally out of the blue, but it was also awesome, and I suspect it had good reason too.

I was there in the front lines with my PC. I knew there was a high chance of dying. I assisted a lot and helped kill a lot of enemies. My last assist was a Northern Templar. Fight lastes about 5 minutes or so. Finally I died. I felt incredibly happy to have met my goals:
•Die in a war a hero and take down as many as I could. (read Go out with a bang)

My character's death was awesome.

What almost turned me off when I started playing was the sheer amount of documentation. I think I spent about 2 days reading every single help file, everything I could turn over, because I was convinced I couldn't start playing the game until I knew it all.

Two -days-?
Kronibas made me study up for about two weeks before he would help me make a PC. :D
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

What almost turned me off when I started playing was the sheer amount of documentation. I think I spent about 2 days reading every single help file, everything I could turn over, because I was convinced I couldn't start playing the game until I knew it all. I was equally frustrated and excited. I originally found the game through TMS, and had just played Achaea and thought it was awfully boring. But ArmageddonMUD, though it seemed exciting and I loved the Dark Sun campaign setting, was so much WORK!

In retrospect, i'm really glad I did read as much as I did, because it turned into an investment for me, which is what truly makes this a lifelong hobby for me. When my first Red Stormer died, I rolled up a new one right away. And then another. And then another. And then another. Then I moved on to Tuluk. And then Allanak. And then...

So, in essence, it's funny how the thing that 'almost turned me off' when I was new to Armageddon is also responsible for why i'm still here, in part.

Yep we agree on the sheer amount of documentation one needs to read to be competent enough. Tried skipping them and told myself: "I will read them as I go through the game..." Riiight... I don't remember if my character lost everything and I suicided by attacking soldiers or if he got backstabbed on his way out of Rinth. But the thing was he died pretty quickly. Second character however dis very well. But I was unsatisfied with the concept. Stored. Third character I read even more documentation before I made him. Did a lot better. This is one game were you definitely need to read the manual.  ;D

Quote from: FantasyWriter on August 02, 2013, 09:09:22 AM
What almost turned me off when I started playing was the sheer amount of documentation. I think I spent about 2 days reading every single help file, everything I could turn over, because I was convinced I couldn't start playing the game until I knew it all.
Two -days-?
Kronibas made me study up for about two weeks before he would help me make a PC. :D

Yeah, I think I basically read nothing but the website for like a week. Ha.

I just jumped right in, reading docs as things came up in game. It worked well. There's a lot of short 5-8 minute downtime when you're playing Arm.

There's really no need to study the docs before playing IMO. It does help though.

It helps to read the intro, especially the one we have on the new website. It takes a few minutes and is a good resource for new players figuring out what the game is about before jumping in. No one will force them to read it, but I feel like some newbies who don't will be lost once they're in-game.

After actually getting in the game it helps to read other docs and help files as needed.

I hated the idea of reading the documentation. I figured, feck its a fantasy RPG. I know enough about these to roll with the flow and learn as I go....

Then I tried to make a thick haired, long bearded dwarf....
Life sucks, then you die.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on August 02, 2013, 10:52:40 AM
I just jumped right in, reading docs as things came up in game. It worked well. There's a lot of short 5-8 minute downtime when you're playing Arm.

There's really no need to study the docs before playing IMO. It does help though.

Heh that's what I thought.

But from reading the docs much more before my second character upped my survival chances a lot. Like I said he was doing quite well. But I wasn't enjoying the concept. So he got stashed away.

1. Figuring out how to get anywhere! Annoying spending most of your time just to get to a bank. Didn't realize when making first character that if his background not in the city then I can't use directions command.
2. Not seeing many other PCs to interact with or help me. I did see some. The knowledge to go to taverns wasn't ingrained strongly enough.
3. It not being clear how to join a GMH as a newb merchant. I tried going into their estates which didn't work, and being a independent merchant is not easy.

Not having enough helpfiles to explain mechanical commands(this was a long time ago).

There have been rare, occasional moments where I felt like a player was actually taking their IC hatred a little too far.  As in, it no longer felt like roleplay but chatroom abuse.
There is a candle in your heart, ready to be kindled. There is a void in your soul, ready to be filled. Can you feel it?  Can you?
- Rumi

The 'learn as you fail thing'.
I like it now, really like it.
Before I was like "Why the fuck do I get better at hitting people because I miss them the fuck is this shit"

The slow pace comparable to hack and slash muds... it takes a while to appreciate what Arm has to offer RP-wise.

I wanted to chop shit up with bone swords. I made a ranger, bought some gear. Went due west out of allanak, spider bites your ass, spider bites your faceparts, spider bites your toes, beep. I was staring at my computer wondering why I waited 24 hours for my pc to be approved for that? It was more than a year before I came back and made another account.

With Nak being the new newbie start-zone with Tuluk being closed, I feel bad for the new players that want to hop right in and go explore the wastes with their rough and tumble ranger concept. The land near nak is unforgiving to rangers. Especially inexperienced players.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: Majikal on April 23, 2015, 03:36:37 AM
I wanted to chop shit up with bone swords. I made a ranger, bought some gear. Went due west out of allanak, spider bites your ass, spider bites your faceparts, spider bites your toes, beep. I was staring at my computer wondering why I waited 24 hours for my pc to be approved for that? It was more than a year before I came back and made another account.

With Nak being the new newbie start-zone with Tuluk being closed, I feel bad for the new players that want to hop right in and go explore the wastes with their rough and tumble ranger concept. The land near nak is unforgiving to rangers. Especially inexperienced players.

My first assassin backstabbed an npc slave, got thrown in jail, got out, backstabbed someone who attacked a pc templar, got recruited into the militia, then went out and died to a scrab.  In 3 hours.  I didn't even learn how to dual wield.

First -ranger- lived for awhile, but the noob was real.  I told a Borsail noble that their estate was more beautiful than any desert oasis I'd ever seen (I'd never left the city.  Ranger backgrounds, BOOYEAH!).

The thing that turned me off was that, coming from pure hack'n slashes, I had no idea how to get more hitpoints or where scrolls of identify were so I could tell which item was better.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

No color. I've been mudding for a pretty long time and this was the first time I played a game that didn't have color of some sort. Having been used to it for so long, I found myself unable to pay attention to dialogue or pick out who was important in a crowd. This is the #1 thing that turned me off to the game and caused me to quit out within 20 minutes of making my first character. I left and didn't come back until, uh, two years later? When someone convinced me it was worth a try. At which point I buckled down and wrote a highlight system for myself.

The color is probably a huge one for people coming from other muds.

It really is one of those things that's appallingly strange on arrival.

Now I go to other muds to check them out and want to claw my eyes out within minutes.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Majikal on April 23, 2015, 03:36:37 AM

Everything is deadly to a newbie. Including northern shit like Kryl, Bahamet's, Cilops, packs of Gortoks... Honestly I think the single most deadly aspect of the southlands is a hole. In second I'd say scrabs. But regardless I don't think things should be made any easier. Someone going outside should have to know what's easy prey and what's going to eat their face off, that goes for anywhere in Zalanthas.

Also, Allanak's wildlife NPC's has be changed significantly lately. Much more variety like the north has.