What almost turned you off the game WHEN YOU WERE NEW

Started by Morrolan, April 30, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

Even when I get sober, I will be looking for you, you cannot escape. You know how obsessive I can be.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

The fall isn't usually what kills you. It's what's finds you after you're vulnerable.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

^ Sometimes I revive them first.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

When I've died in the wilderness, I've noticed this several times.

Someone squats down and looks for tracks.

Is that a bug or? Was some ranger sensing a disturbance in the force and subsequently trying to find me? Is it an Imm action? When this has happened I've been alone, so its not someone in the same room as me.

Some creatures track. Sometimes whole packs of creatures track.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Those are parasites, shedding from your mortal coil and looking for a new host.

Quote from: Wastrel on June 26, 2013, 12:13:41 PM

Is that a bug or? Was some ranger sensing a disturbance in the force and subsequently trying to find me? Is it an Imm action? When this has happened I've been alone, so its not someone in the same room as me.

It is sort of a bug yeah.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 26, 2013, 09:21:08 PM

;D

Looking back on it now it would be that quite a few people just do not have the patience for newbs.  Once you have the hang of the emoting system it's kind of full steam ahead.  Just a case of learning about the surroundings and as such.
Thankfully when I first started playing arm I was surrounded by alot of helpful characters, and joining a cities militia is a VERY good idea for a starting character.  Or in my opinion anyways!
The main thing that frustrated me when I started playing though was getting to grips with the emoting and even though people were being nice and helpful ooc'ing it's & or %.. when you yourself forget even when like 10 people have told you already, it's infuriating!  Or perhaps that is because I have minimal patience with myself >.>
A staff member sends:
     "You can quit ooc - or if you want I can kill <character name>, that'd definitely reset it."

Make a little post-it note and stick it to your monitor. I still forget about &...

I have no idea what the & is for and I'm happy that way.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: zeia on June 27, 2013, 09:20:16 AM
The main thing that frustrated me when I started playing though was getting to grips with the emoting and even though people were being nice and helpful ooc'ing it's & or %.. when you yourself forget even when like 10 people have told you already, it's infuriating!  Or perhaps that is because I have minimal patience with myself >.>

Yes! I went to sleep last night and realized I had written the symbols necessary to emote properly on my leg in sharpie to prevent looking like a newb.

But "WHEN I WAS NEW" is like. A present tense situation, for me, so. Yeah, I just generally bumble into things ICly and try to look like I've done it before.

Quote from: Klara on June 27, 2013, 11:28:46 AM
Yes! I went to sleep last night and realized I had written the symbols necessary to emote properly on my leg in sharpie to prevent looking like a newb.

If this is true, it cracks me up
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on June 26, 2013, 09:21:08 PM

bahaha
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Malken on June 27, 2013, 09:48:03 AM

Dwarf fortress demons.

Also: I think I use ~, %, ^, and !, in that order. Mostly the first two. I think I've used the = rarely.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Bogre on July 22, 2013, 08:07:43 AM
Quote from: Malken on June 27, 2013, 09:48:03 AM

Dwarf fortress demons.

Also: I think I use ~, %, ^, and !, in that order. Mostly the first two. I think I've used the = rarely.

= and + are the emoting symbols for mudsex. I think I used one of them outside of mudsex once, ONCE, but that was only to unlock an achievement.  :)

I don't use the symbols when my characters reference themselves, so I don't think I've ever typed an & into armageddon.
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Thankfully my only complaint is that my two friends who generally play MUDs with me quit playing this because they didn't like the whole death is permanent thing. Since I've played Roguelikes I know permanent desth can actually be very addictive upon itself. The challenge is how long you can survive. Other then that everyone has been cool. I have been lucky to have been in good and active Clans. I think that is what makes or breaks the game for most people. The more people you have to roleplay with the more addictive the game is.

Quote from: IssacF on July 27, 2013, 10:24:06 PM
The more people you have to roleplay with the more addictive the game is.

When this is lacking, it can really hurt the game, for fresh faces and veterans alike. If my first PCs hadn't had like... immediate interaction from certain others, I'd have just tossed it aside.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

So...uh...things that turned me off the game when I was new...

I'd say one of the biggest frustrations I had was with character creation, just because I found it hard to write a decent background when I knew very little about the world itself. 

Oh, and I don't know if it's just a GMud thing or not...but because I would take so long to write up my first few characters, trying to get them 'right', I was timed out alot and had to start again. 

Wait, that wasn't just when I was new, that still happens when I make a new character.

August 01, 2013, 12:47:55 AM #220 Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 02:03:53 PM by IssacF
Quote from: Riev on July 28, 2013, 03:10:25 AM
Quote from: IssacF on July 27, 2013, 10:24:06 PM
The more people you have to roleplay with the more addictive the game is.

When this is lacking, it can really hurt the game, for fresh faces and veterans alike. If my first PCs hadn't had like... immediate interaction from certain others, I'd have just tossed it aside.

Yep. RPing is what pulls you into this MUD. Interaction is very important.

Also ones enjoyment can be affected if you are at a loss of what to do and were to go. So I guess I've been smart enough to read a -lot- of the documentation and read a -lot- of the GDB.

As for Find IC. That doesn't really have any bad effect whatsoever. Besides I -make sure- my haracter finds out IC if I'm at a loss. I might not post a lot. But I do read a lot. Never had an issue with the whole: Find IC. Because I do find IC.

Then I'm used to playing Roguelikes. Since death -is- permanent as well no matter how much you invest on a character you know sooner or later you will die. The journey is discovering how far you can go and what you can discover while thinking closely about your actions.

Except for my first character, which I made the crass error of entering the Rinth without realization of what it really was, which led me to dedicate a longer time reading documentation -before- my second character, I've enjoyed all my other characters.

On the Nyr-Zul thing above, from what's been said I'm pretty sure I know what they are talking about, and I'd have to agree with Nyr. Forces were at work far beyond any PC's, no matter how powerful, and death is the only reasonable outcome of such confrontation.

There was one other guy who I witnessed die during the HRPT whose death seemed totally out of the blue, but it was also awesome, and I suspect it had good reason too.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

On the Nyr Zul thing... I wish someone would delete it. It feels really inappropriate. Especially in this thread. It's uncomfortable to read.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

It is inappropriate. Zul should have taken this up in the request tool. If players have problems with events in game that is always the best course of action - we can give a lot more detail there.

I think it's important that he got some closure though. I also think it's important to note that Nyr had no part in his character's death. They did something unrealistic and dangerous which should have resulted in discovery and a swift death. They didn't wish up as required so we didn't realize what had happened until they had already left. Death was applied retroactively.

No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

August 01, 2013, 07:58:03 AM #224 Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:03:56 AM by Barzalene
I still get tripped up on the things that have to be puzzled out. But I think that's just me being a bit dim. I think many people enjoy that challenge.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."