What almost turned you off the game WHEN YOU WERE NEW

Started by Morrolan, April 30, 2013, 07:45:39 PM

Quote from: hatchets on June 18, 2013, 07:43:26 PM
The biggest thing that turns me off, is the difference of knowledgable power between the newer players and the older players. I have always told anyone I suggest the mud to, it has a harsh learning curve. You know nothing, until one day, you know more then you ever could have thought and even when that day comes, you still know nothing.

Don't get me wrong, while it turns me off, it also turns me on (heh heh heh) I enjoy finding new things to learn, but it is soo frustratiing when you keep failing.

This, sort of.

You know, I've been playing since the beginning of 2008, and a few months ago, I -still- wound up having to OOC to ask someone what the syntax was for a particular 'vial' item to use it properly. And they didn't know either. And had to try helper chat, but no one was there. And then finally asked a friend, and after 6 hours was informed what the syntax was.

While I don't at all mind it in the sense of 'hating' it... it was SUPER frustrating, and a huge reminder that yeah, even when you've been around for years and by very few definitions of the word could be considered a newb, you still are one.

Unless you're X-D. I swear, that dude's pretty much branched GOTO and I'm pretty sure he killed a wyvern once.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

And how they tend to hoard that knowledge and look at you funny when you try to RP something they know isn't codedly possible

Karma.

I was very disappointed after reading the vast docs on the website about how the magick system worked.  I had been playing a magic user on another mud and was one of the 'dominant' ones in the hack'n slash environment there.

I read about it here, thought it was cool as hell, and started apping, only to find that I couldn't be one.  So I made an assassin instead, promptly went to start earning experience, backstabbed a slave, and ended up in jail.  After a ten minute wait, I disconnected, vowing that I had tried the game and it was not worth continuing.

I later reconnected to find myself out of jail, and was only 'drawn in' to staying by the player of Boopsie the templar.  He kinda showed through example that it was NOT a hack'n slash game, at least not in spirit.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I've tried Arm a few times, but never had a character stick. I think my top three reasons are probably these:

1. Lack of 0-karma, clanned roles.
There are a lot of barriers to meaningful character interaction, conversation, and relationships on Arm: social class, regional differences, racism, magick, the general harshness of the world, etc., etc. The population is spread thinner than on other RPIs, and I often get the impression that the convenience of the Way discourages tavern-sitting by established PCs, making it something of a challenge to find employment IC, especially if one isn't willing to go cold-calling strangers' (or near-strangers') minds to do it.

Even on MUDs where it's relatively easy to get one's character clanned (where clan resources are abundant, or where the IC culture is generally a trusting one, or where the OOC culture is one of bending IC norms as far as necessary to get newbies into clans) -- or on MUDs where unclanned characters have an easier time building relationships and/or learning their way around -- I don't enjoy spending my first few days on a new PC unemployed and idling. On Arm, I don't enjoy spending my PC's entire life unemployed and idling (or grinding, when idling gets old). :P

ElseMUD, I've had and seen characters hired as barmaids, cooks, stableboys, farmhands, and housekeepers ... all manner of unskilled and (often) uncoded jobs. On Arm, I found most recruiters highly focused on one question: "What are your skills? No, really, what are your skills?"

2. Restrictions, oddities, and secrets of the guild/subguild/skill-branching system.
I have a whole rant on this topic -- and I just inflicted most of it on my beloved, long-suffering husband -- but really, I think most of my complaints are the same ones common to most players coming from purely skill-based muds, or to most players who value fine-grained character customization (even for first characters) over the thrill of in-game but still OOC discoveries. Or, you know, players who don't want to have to master painting to branch photography, but aren't willing to give up background/flavor/skill opportunities by picking a guild/subguild pair as redundant as artist/photographer.

[For this point and the first, it may bear mentioning that I'm a strictly noncombat player; I imagine this self-imposed limitation on the character concepts and playstyles I'm willing to entertain contributes to my perspective in both cases.]

3. Fall exits.
IRL, sane, sober people in full possession of their faculties simply don't walk off cliffs in broad daylight. Other muds color fall exits red; other muds require you to type "N !" to walk north off one. It's immersion-breaking under the best of circumstances ... and quite simply maddening when one has been diligently scanning only to misinterpret, say, "A High, Rocky Cliff" as an overlook at the edge of said cliff rather than the top climb room over its edge.

Note: All examples are fictional; any resemblance to actual code, scenery, or plot is purest coincidence.

All this said, I like RPIs. I like low-fantasy worlds; I like less than 'nice' themes in games. I even have a certain nostalgic fondness for some of Arm's sources of literary and gaming inspiration. I ought to like Arm.

I'd give anything to go back to knowing nothing.

And I don't even know that much.

The new-game-feel of Armageddon was one of the best things for me.

Shit, I'm drunk.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

Quote from: eltanimras on June 23, 2013, 02:58:32 AM
All this said, I like RPIs. I like low-fantasy worlds; I like less than 'nice' themes in games. I even have a certain nostalgic fondness for some of Arm's sources of literary and gaming inspiration. I ought to like Arm.

I had a similar experience when I first started playing. My first character was quite blah and though she managed to get clanned, she didn't get involved in anything I found interesting. I stored her and as a last resort I put in a role application for a bard of Poets' Circle. I would have quit ARM forever if I hadn't gotten hooked in this second role. (And since then, I have to say, I've played some really addictive roles and some others that were total duds. I find it's kind of hit-and-miss.) Some things I would suggest you might try out:

Non-combat, 0-karma, clanned characters through role application:

-- Human tribal (al Seik or Arabet) of merchant guild. It's my impression that the Arabet in particular may have some fun craftables, so if you like crafting, that may be attractive to you. You would be immediately clanned at character setup and have some automatic potential allies/friends within your clan. There would be clan resources available to you, so your character is unlikely to starve/dehydrate, and there may even be crafting materials available.
-- Bard of Poets' Circle in Tuluk. You could play any guild--for non-combat, merchant, pickpocket, and burglar are great as a bard. You can also play any race, though I'd recommend playing a human. Your character would have been born into the Circle. You'd start out clanned and there would be other clanned bards, plus there are merchants/nobles/templars who'd be looking to patronize you or hire you for stuff. If you have any artistic bent (music, visual arts, dance, poetry or prose) then this might be a good choice.
-- Clanned city elf - Akai Sjir in Tuluk or Jaxa Pah in the Labyrinth. Again, merchant, pickpocket, or burglar would all work for this. You'd be clanned as a born member and probably have some clan mates to start out with. There are clan resources and locations.

Non-combat, karma-required characters that are within your reach through special application:

-- Desert elf of merchant guild. You'd start out clanned, the clan has resources and members and a location already. I'd recommend the Sun Runners as it's a slightly less isolated role and there's more potential travel to the cities. It only requires one karma so if you've played a little you're pretty likely to be able to get this through special app.
-- Human Vivaduan. Vivaduans have some pretty useful non-combat skills even right at the start. It's only a 2-karma role so you're pretty likely to be granted a try at it if you've been around a little. I'd suggest that you go for playing a gemmed role in Allanak simply because templars there are very likely to want to use your skills. It's not a clanned role, though there is the potential to be hired/clanned by House Oash.

Now, I realize that it may be intimidating to put in role applications or special applications. And I get that, because I don't like doing it either. No one likes to hear "no," or "yes, but." But the staff are keenly interested in helping you to find a place in the game where you can both enjoy and contribute. You could also use our Helpers as a resource for brainstorming stuff.

Good luck!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Wug on June 23, 2013, 03:19:28 AM
I'd give anything to go back to knowing nothing.

And I don't even know that much.

This, so much.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

3. Fall exits.
IRL, sane, sober people in full possession of their faculties simply don't walk off cliffs in broad daylight. Other muds color fall exits red; other muds require you to type "N !" to walk north off one. It's immersion-breaking under the best of circumstances ... and quite simply maddening when one has been diligently scanning only to misinterpret, say, "A High, Rocky Cliff" as an overlook at the edge of said cliff rather than the top climb room over its edge.

I'm not sure I've seen a cliff edge that wasn't well represented in the room description surrounding it.  A simple added line at the end of the room description like, "The area to the north looks like it drops off/is a steep cliff/may require climbing," would be really excellent.  It would pop out and be noticeable as well as not break immersion.

Quote from: Rumor on June 23, 2013, 01:24:38 PM

3. Fall exits.

I'm not sure I've seen a cliff edge that wasn't well represented in the room description surrounding it.  A simple added line at the end of the room description like, "The area to the north looks like it drops off/is a steep cliff/may require climbing," would be really excellent.  It would pop out and be noticeable as well as not break immersion.

there are some that do not

cough north road

Quote from: PriestlySiren on June 23, 2013, 03:08:08 AM
The staff animating NPCs to yell at me makes me happy and also this.

This tells me I'm at least doing something interesting. It definitely makes the game seem more alive and teaches me to respect the presence of NPCs and vNPCs.

Quote from: Wastrel on June 23, 2013, 04:24:33 PM

cough north road

If you think there are fall rooms that are not clearly marked enough in the connecting rooms, you should bug them. Then staff can take a look and make a judgment. Portions of the gameworld are very old and there are some consistency issues. So you're doing a service to the game and the playerbase if you bug stuff like this.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 23, 2013, 07:19:17 PM
Quote from: Wastrel on June 23, 2013, 04:24:33 PM

cough north road

If you think there are fall rooms that are not clearly marked enough in the connecting rooms, you should bug them. Then staff can take a look and make a judgment. Portions of the gameworld are very old and there are some consistency issues. So you're doing a service to the game and the playerbase if you bug stuff like this.

These places that I'm thinking these are alluding to were actually changed away from clearly marked to not clearly marked, thus making it appear to anyone who paid attention over the course of time that it was intended to be a surprise buttsex trap.  Which I'm not complaining about, just saying...I don't think these not being clearly marked is always a mistake or unintended.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on June 23, 2013, 08:24:44 PM
These places that I'm thinking these are alluding to were actually changed away from clearly marked to not clearly marked, thus making it appear to anyone who paid attention over the course of time that it was intended to be a surprise buttsex trap.  Which I'm not complaining about, just saying...I don't think these not being clearly marked is always a mistake or unintended.

It's worth bugging in game, in case. I don't actually think that staff generally intends to give players surprise deaths in this manner. But hey, if they do, then there's no harm done by filing a bug about it--staff can just ignore it if that's the intention.

Not to make a derail of it, but thanks, Gimfalisette. :)

I feel more inspired even for routine niche- and job-hunting now.

3. Fall exits.
You know what?

This complaint is spot on.  Clearly marked or not, there's no reason there should be any situations in game where a single keystroke can bring you semi-certain character death that any half way cognizant real person could avoid.  (Of course in situations of sandstorm blindness, poor wagon piloting skills, mount panic, fleeing, etc a chance to go over the edge is more reasonable.)

I'd be cool with something like "n !", "n jump", "n climb" as the only way to willingly walk off a cliff.

especially if one isn't willing to go cold-calling strangers' (or near-strangers') minds to do it.

Besides Gimf's good advice, I wouldn't be too afraid of this. ICly, yes there is supposedly a stigma against disturbing the thoughts of the wealthy and powerful, but in practice, I have rarely seen someone get seriously called down for it. Said powerful person might pay lip service to it for the look of the thing, but in reality, contacting people is a necessity in a game where people aren't always logged in and may or may not have real underlings to carry messages for you.

If your concern is about the realistic likelihood of finding someone's mind based on their name alone, you can always ask, "Do I have the mind of...".
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: James de Monet on June 24, 2013, 12:56:49 PM
If your concern is about the realistic likelihood of finding someone's mind based on their name alone, you can always ask, "Do I have the mind of...".

JDM is right on the money with his post.  The true high-tier roles aren't available to players, the kind of people that would make you crap your pants if they looked at you.  Most of the leadership roles are people on the ground, handling the grunt work, and they need grunts like you to get it done.  A proper introduction goes a long way in piquing their interest.

Never, ever Way someone like that and fail to introduce yourself by name, though.  If they even bother to contact you back, their first thought is going to be "Who is this fucktard?"

If your main guild doesn't allow you to make anything, pick a subguild that allows you to make some money. If you join a group your life as a grebber is pretty much over. Talk to people who know how to do what you can do. Processing materials and crafting goods can help you make some much needed money, otherwise you'll find yourself wearing stinky gith shit and wishing you'd spent a year or two grebbing before you signed up, but spend some time grebbing anyway, ask around, people who need materials will tell you where to find them, and pay you to go get them. It may be dangerous but going into a job well equipped is well worth the risk.

Quote from: Fujikoma on June 24, 2013, 09:35:41 PM
If your main guild doesn't allow you to make anything, pick a subguild that allows you to make some money. If you join a group your life as a grebber is pretty much over. Talk to people who know how to do what you can do. Processing materials and crafting goods can help you make some much needed money, otherwise you'll find yourself wearing stinky gith shit and wishing you'd spent a year or two grebbing before you signed up, but spend some time grebbing anyway, ask around, people who need materials will tell you where to find them, and pay you to go get them. It may be dangerous but going into a job well equipped is well worth the risk.

I'm not quite sure what kind of characters you tend to play, but mine are perfectly happy to have subpar equipment and don't mope about being clanned one bit. Also, clans tend to provide equipment to their employees. Working on your own before getting employed makes little sense ICly and is a sketchy OOC maneuver at best.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.