OOC <target> option?

Started by gfair, April 29, 2013, 01:21:50 PM

One thing I've noticed is that OOC could use a target option such that players can send private OOC messages to others. There are a lot of scenarios where OOC advice can be helpful but need not be echoed to all parties in a room, for example in groups containing new and seasoned players.

e.g.

ooc <message>
ooc <target> <message>

ooc amos Type help for a list of help files.

The talking auroch sends you an OOC message: "Type Help for a list of help files."

I'd dig this. Lots.
* ShaLeah would really dig this.

+1
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

This would rock and be so less disruptive! It has mama boog's stamp of approval.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I don't know if all OOC messages are automagically passed on to staff (probably with an on/off flag like a global channel), but these two additions together would be pretty sweet.

But, yes, targeted OOC would be cool. My only worry is that it would be more abuseable than the current system. The way the messages are visible in the room goes a long way to prevent possible abuse.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

I agree.
"Let sleeping characters sleep naked." -Azroen

The only thing is that this may increase use of it, especially if you can echo privately to someone. I mean, there's obviously the abuse potential there.

You can usually go contact x, psi OOC: <message> if you want it to be private and not echoed to the huge crowd at the gaj.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

As long as it's being logged like the 'quit ooc' command then I think it's a good idea too :)
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

OOC FME Yo gurr, can I get ur skype so we cn sybr?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I give this a +1 because I think bcw's amusing post is exceptionally rare in this very respectful community of very mature players.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: Harmless on April 29, 2013, 02:42:06 PM
I give this a +1 because I think bcw's amusing post is exceptionally rare in this very respectful community of very mature players.

Not sure if.. Or if....

Or even if...

.jpg
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Bogre on April 29, 2013, 02:10:24 PM
The only thing is that this may increase use of it, especially if you can echo privately to someone. I mean, there's obviously the abuse potential there.

You can usually go contact x, psi OOC: <message> if you want it to be private and not echoed to the huge crowd at the gaj.

I do that but....

Quote from: Malken on April 29, 2013, 02:11:15 PM
As long as it's being logged like the 'quit ooc' command then I think it's a good idea too :)

That added to the idea will prevent abuse.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on April 29, 2013, 02:51:08 PM

I do that but....

Quote from: Malken on April 29, 2013, 02:11:15 PM

That added to the idea will prevent abuse.

I'm sure the ooc command is logged, this would be too. I have faith in the staff. I've never had a bitchslap email telling me I've used ooc too often and I've never really come across someone who abuses it as it is now.

I use the above every once in a while, I believe staff has said they don't like that somewhere, too lazy to look for it. Maybe we can have an ooc psi command that doesn't take away stun in addition to this?
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Considering the rush of new players we're getting, I think this would be invaluable. In the last month I've seen OOC used (for explanation of code) at least three times as much as I usually do, and being able to have a targeted discussion to explain commands would be a lot less disruptive.

Quote from: Quell on April 29, 2013, 03:21:50 PM
Considering the rush of new players we're getting, I think this would be invaluable. In the last month I've seen OOC used (for explanation of code) at least three times as much as I usually do, and being able to have a targeted discussion to explain commands would be a lot less disruptive.

This is one of my primary motivations as well.

It does provide a new avenue for abuse, but comparing OOC as it exists today with the suggested addition, I don't see any big risk factor. It does hide info-sharing, though, but not from the omnipotent eyes of log files, as others suggest.

My take is that overall, the good would outweigh the potential for abuse by breaking immersion less when OOC is needed for specific people, and not all in attendance.  From what I've seen, on those occasions it would be a welcome relief.

It would need some way of monitoring I think. But I dig. A way for a noob to ask an ooc question to someone without disturbing the rp around them would be great.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: gfair on April 29, 2013, 03:32:56 PM
My take is that overall, the good would outweigh the potential for abuse by breaking immersion less when OOC is needed for specific people, and not all in attendance.  From what I've seen, on those occasions it would be a welcome relief.

As it now stands, I invite the newb into a public, but less-traveled room, before launching into an OOC-Storm to introduce them to:

• Helpers
  • GDB
  • Talk vs. say
  • Why magickers, people from the other city state, fullnecks, halfnecks, and no-necks (stumps) are not their friends
  • Basic code thingies they're having trouble with

Then, generally, I shove them at the Byn, or explain why, when they're not playing a half-elf burglar, that would be a good option.

OOC <target> <message> would make this conversation more seamless.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Meh. If someone doesn't like seeing me OOC to help a noobie or to clarify something they can use ....

Oh wait, staff never did implement that idea I had to make brief OOC not show you any ooc at all. Nevermind.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on April 29, 2013, 07:41:12 PM
Meh. If someone doesn't like seeing me OOC to help a noobie or to clarify something they can use ....

Oh wait, staff never did implement that idea I had to make brief OOC not show you any ooc at all. Nevermind.
OOC is a key tool in certain scenes. I'd rather not "OOC Can I cut off your balls and torture you to death, or would you rather me just kill you outright?" only to have the person never see that.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Yep, that was the big hurdle that came up last time too. :D

I'll add my agreement of the targetted OOC idea. Usually I'll either ooc in the same room - if it's not too busy or if it's just a one-shot ooc with no further need. If it's a lengthy discussion, or if there are other PCs in the room, I'll try to get them out of that room.

But this isn't always a good idea. If you're all gathered to do something as a clan and one of you is new, it's *not* a good idea to seperate yourself from the group just to ooc a few practical tips (use TITLE to name your mount. YOu have to be MOUNTed first. Remember to HITCH the mount as well. Yes, you can QUIT out in the wilderness if you're a ranger, or you can use QUIT OOC if you can't, and we're later than you are available.)

All of that is pretty short and sweet, but not when it's peppered between the sergeant barking out orders, and people checking their cure tablet stash, and Halfy the Half-Giant saying something stupid, and Breedy the Breed whining about how it's not fair that he never gets to guard Bupkes Fale.

So for that reason alone, I think being able to target your OOCs to specific players is an awesome idea. Appropriately monitored or p-file logged, of course.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

+1.

While there are work arounds, a monitored way to privately OOC someone would be less disruptive.
Amor Fati

I think this is a great idea.  Sometimes you have to help a newbie with something in the very middle of a stressful and wonderful scene and it's a speedbump for everyone in the room when you're trying to explain something OOC.

Yeah, this would be a very nice.  Especially when you're inside a tavern and a newbie needs help.  I'd rather target them and not disrupt anyone else from RPing to help them.

I like target OOC.

If only because, So often when I am trying to help a newbie, there is more then one in the room, and even worse, I am trying to help the big tall man, but also in the room is the tall big man. Neither of which do I know the names of.

Currently OOC is somewhat awkward to use when only 1 person needs it.

THOUGH, that being said, I do not agree that it should be hidden to people who are not the target.
It is amazing how often you will OOC to somebody and 3 other PCs in the rooms will be like "Really, Thanks, I did not know that." OR "No, wait, don't do that, that will get you dead/jailed...do it this way instead"

OOC should be open, but targetting would be nice.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job