The whistling arrow

Started by gfair, April 24, 2013, 10:15:23 AM

Idea for an in-game arrow object: The whistling arrow

I'm sure this one must have come up in the past, but as I think of it now I believe that it has a healthy number of applications for territorial-minded peoples in the game, both PC and NPC.

See this video for some home-made arrows, they make quite an amazing, almost howling noise. Perfect for alerting / scaring people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLFnuLbDJxg

If the arrow hits, then people are not only warned but strongly warned. Even if it happens to miss though, it's still a warning that the target is in range of being hit and not safe where she / he is.

The components for the arrow could be similar to what are already used to make them. The whistle can be made out of certain pieces of bone, horn, antler, chitin, wood, and possibly even dried root, gourd, or tuber.

Kah!
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I dig the idea.  Some fun roleplay could come from this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Mastercraft that shit!
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

April 24, 2013, 11:48:24 AM #4 Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:50:18 AM by Bushranger
I really like this idea and so I approve of you whistler arrow and raise you with a glowstone arrow! <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mAT2IxN_c>

Want to see what's lurking just inside that cave? Shoot a few glowstone arrows in there!
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on April 24, 2013, 11:48:24 AM
I really like this idea and so I approve of you whistler arrow and raise you with a glowstone arrow! <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8mAT2IxN_c>

Want to see what's lurking just inside that cave? Shoot a few glowstone arrows in there!

My god. The amount of times I've tried to throw my damn torch into a 'tok den.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

How is this any different than just shooting a arrow normally? (Both at a target and at a specified distance.)
Like a lithium flower, about to bloom.

Mayhaps the whistling sound could be heard from 1 room away; you could send a warning shot as far as four leagues by sound, and you can cover a t-shaped region of your choosing and give warnings around corners (i.e., safely, avoiding an immediate counterattack).
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

April 24, 2013, 03:12:20 PM #8 Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:14:50 PM by Morrolan
An arrow flies in from the west, with a loud whistling noise, striking the sycophantic aide in the chest.
Quote from: the sycophantic aideMessage for you, Lord Templar.

Monty Python original
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Harmless on April 24, 2013, 01:49:09 PM
Mayhaps the whistling sound could be heard from 1 room away; you could send a warning shot as far as four leagues by sound, and you can cover a t-shaped region of your choosing and give warnings around corners (i.e., safely, avoiding an immediate counterattack).

That would work, but how would the command look like?
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on April 24, 2013, 03:52:23 PM
Quote from: Harmless on April 24, 2013, 01:49:09 PM

That would work, but how would the command look like?

Shoot Far North - Just like you normally would to send an arrow into the distance. I don't think you need any special commands for it just that when the arrow lands in that room there is a script on it that causes a whistling sound which can be easily heard one 'room' in all directions.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I remember writing up a war-horn object once that would echo to adjacent rooms.  I thought it would be a cool way to signal troops and coordinate movements.  Don't think it was ever implemented, tho.   :'(

Quote from: DustMight on April 25, 2013, 03:25:08 PM
I remember writing up a war-horn object once that would echo to adjacent rooms.  I thought it would be a cool way to signal troops and coordinate movements.  Don't think it was ever implemented, tho.   :'(

There might be objects like this in game.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Ha...I was playing shadowrun with my Rp group, and I shot a whistling arrow past two dragon-augmented droids.....they traced the arrow back to my employers and killed off a section off the city with an army of droids because of it...meanwhile....We finished our mission!

Quote from: Doublepalli on May 21, 2013, 08:40:04 AM
Ha...I was playing shadowrun with my Rp group, and I shot a whistling arrow past two dragon-augmented droids.....they traced the arrow back to my employers and killed off a section off the city with an army of droids because of it...meanwhile....We finished our mission!

>Analyze arrow

This arrow looks like it was made by Mr. Johnson.

>think (frustrated) Another dead end.