Suggested Reading?

Started by Ravenfeather, April 06, 2013, 01:40:23 AM

I have always struggled with the arm-theme and only today, (I need t shamefully admit) did I actually become aware of the D&D 'Dark Sun' world/theme.

I have a new character application submitted to staff via the request tool for consideration and since I got a flashy kindle for Christmas -

What if any 'Dark Sun' theme books/guides anyone would recommend? (I know its not 'arm' but I think it will help and give me inspiration all the same).
"Graceful? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely. Harmless? Definitely not." --Tribal Elder.

Have you voted lately?
Top Mud Sites (Every 12 hours)
The Mud Connector (Every 24 hours)

A few I came across this morning on Amazon:

THE OUTCAST (Dark Sun: Tribe of One, Book 1)
Marauders of the Dune Sea
The Verdant Passage (Dark Sun World: Prism Pentad, Book 1)
Dark Sun Campaign Setting, Expanded and Revised
"Graceful? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely. Harmless? Definitely not." --Tribal Elder.

Have you voted lately?

If you're going to read the Verdant Passage, read the whole Prism Pentad.  Troy Denning is an awesome author.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

April 06, 2013, 02:03:18 AM #3 Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 02:13:25 AM by Ravenfeather
Great :) thanks so - I am on the right track - within reason its in theme.

Have you voted lately?

It is also poignant to understand that while in the beginning, Zalanthas was heavily influenced by Dark Sun, it is definitely its own world.

Reading anything is only going to help you work on your character's thoughts, feelings, and ideas. Game of Thrones, anything by Eddings, read a Dragonlance book or two.

Come to think of it, I'd really suggest Dragonlance because magick is somewhat rare, feared, and definitely attempted to be controlled. Just don't think you're going to play Tanis Half-elven and everyone will think you're cool. You're not cool. You're a breed.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

throwing in here Malazan Book of the Fallen, start with gardens of the moon by steven erikson.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Well, if you're going to throw in Erikson, don't leave out Glen Cook's Black Company books.

The above two- The Black Company and Malazan are really good inspirations for grunt soldiers/mercs and wildly varied magickers. I may have played a mage or two loosely based on the Taken. :)
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

You might not expect science fiction to get you in the right mindset ... but I nonetheless must strongly recommend Dune (Frank Herbert).  ;)

I get my ghetto-rats inspiration from Shameless sometimes.

Edit: This is a tv show though. In the U.S. and U.K.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

As other said, The Prism Pentad, Dune, and actually some of the Dragonlance stuff. George Martin's stuff for backstabbing and political rp.
"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."
~ Doug Larson

"I tried regular hot sauce, but it just wasn't doing the trick, so I started blasting my huevos with BEAR MACE."
~Synthesis

Totally different world than Arm's, but read Abercrombie's Blade Itself. Both Logen and Glotka are two characters that would fit perfectly in Zalanthas.
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Karen Miller: Empress

The book is pretty bad (in my opinion), but the setting is an oppressive religious city state in an unforgiving desert setting rife with slavery, murder, corruption, and betrayal, so if you do manage to wade through all 700 pages, you might be inspired to play Armageddon.  Bonus: the terrible writing will make you so crabby and itching to stab someone that your characters will feel more realistic than ever before.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

You could also just read the 4E Dark Sun D&D world guide.

Uh, I'm told the Thieves' World series is armageddon-esque in some ways.

I recommend against the Malazan Series.  It's very high-fantasy in a ton of ways armageddon is not.

I'd also suggest reading the logs in Original Submissions and such.  :)
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Read Elves of Athas, if you're interested in Dark Sun's, well, elves. You have it for free on scribd  (as well as some other Dark Sun materials). Probably not completely legal, though.

A couple of the books that I know influenced the game:

Martha Wells' wonderful novel, City of Bone
Glen Cook's Black Company series

Quote from: Malifaxis on April 06, 2013, 01:48:41 AM
If you're going to read the Verdant Passage, read the whole Prism Pentad.  Troy Denning is an awesome author.

+1
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Riev on April 06, 2013, 06:38:13 AM
It is also poignant to understand that while in the beginning, Zalanthas was heavily influenced by Dark Sun, it is definitely its own world.

Poignantly pertinent.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

The Thieves World anthology informed a lot of the Rinth I think.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

QuoteThe Thieves World anthology informed a lot of the Rinth I think.

Yup. I believe that was Kelvik's main influence in creating it.

April 13, 2013, 12:11:50 AM #21 Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 12:15:19 AM by IntuitiveApathy
Quote from: Sanvean on April 11, 2013, 01:06:17 PM
QuoteThe Thieves World anthology informed a lot of the Rinth I think.

Yup. I believe that was Kelvik's main influence in creating it.

Oh den great mother, when are you coming home to roost?  We miss you!

Ravenfeather, try some of the Chronicles of Athas as well - I think Lynn Abbey's Rise and Fall of a Dragon King or The Brazen Gambit will really get you into the setting.

Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

As Bacon said, Dune. Great for the portrayal of noble/merchant houses.

Wasn't there a reading list on the website at some point? Can't find it any more...
Fear is the mind-killer.

Yeah, but it was very outdated.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points