Tribal Humans?

Started by Ravenfeather, April 05, 2013, 08:49:32 AM

Do they all have dark hair? skin? eyes?

What variety/liberty is allowed by staff here?
"Graceful? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely. Harmless? Definitely not." --Tribal Elder.

Have you voted lately?
Top Mud Sites (Every 12 hours)
The Mud Connector (Every 24 hours)

Zalanthas is small enough (and the current configuration "new" enough) that racial differences within the human populations have neither homogenized completely nor diverged.

At the very least, though, a character with tribal origins is likely to be well tanned due to sun exposure.  I don't believe there are any rules restricting eye or hair color for them.

Basically, there's lots variety/liberty allowed.

Thanks Mr Moe -

Anything that is definitely off limits?

silver/crimson hair? gold/purple eyes?
"Graceful? Yes. Beautiful? Absolutely. Harmless? Definitely not." --Tribal Elder.

Have you voted lately?

Monogamy is pretty off limits, it seems.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

No, but if you get too unusual you risk the stigma of being considered a mutant.  (Though, to be honest, mutants with just unusual eye/hair/skin colorations rarely face significant discrimination compared to those with "icky" mutations.)

Some players may roll their eyes at you for "snowflakiness" if you give yourself golden hair and purple eyes, but there are no hard and fast rules.

Thanks all :)

Have you voted lately?

Certain tribes have certain physical features that are more prevalent than others, but that's not saying you -can't- have the others.

An example being the Akai Sjir having a tendency towards the aforementioned purple eyes, that doesn't mean you -need- purple eyes, just that it's a dominant genetic trait that is passed down often enough within their ranks.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

There are actually quite a lot of tribes and families with certain genetic features that show up over and over...I'm assuming this is something that has been developed by the player base over time (which I love) as it's not usually mentioned in the docs. Would be nice if it could be. E.g. Sun Runners - violet eyes. Borsail - platinum hair... etc etc.

I'd also say there's more leeway with strange colors of eyes/hair/skin in non-human races.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

I'm fairly certain most tribes have "common" features, but a PC isn't forced to abide by those.

I would personally come up with a reason why your PC looks different from the rest of the tribe, though.

Most tribals are dark-skinned and dark-haired, IIRC.

If your tribal looks like Cate Blanchett or Christina Hendricks in complexion, you are probably doing it wrong, IMHO, but there are no rules.

Please don't play the exception.

It just gets annoying.

Look at the docs for the tribe you're interested in, they usually are pretty good at telling you what a person from that tribe would look like.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Bah, ignore them.  Play what you want.  We've all played snowflake characters with colorful eyes at some point during our Arm careers.

Though, Moe's advice for exceptional characters has always been: for every facet of your character that is exceptional, they should be ordinary in nine other ways.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 05, 2013, 03:21:48 PM
Bah, ignore them.  Play what you want.  We've all played snowflake characters with colorful eyes at some point during our Arm careers.

Though, Moe's advice for exceptional characters has always been: for every facet of your character that is exceptional, they should be ordinary in nine other ways.

+1 :D

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Marauder Moe on April 05, 2013, 03:21:48 PM

Just don't go crying to your Staff when nobody takes your bright red-haired Seik with sparkling green eyes seriously, though.

It would be totally OOC not to take them seriously. -.-

Quote from: Maso on April 05, 2013, 03:29:38 PM
It would be totally OOC not to take them seriously. -.-

Well, by seriously, I more meant like.. There's something awfully wrong with that guy if we're all dark-haired with brown eyes and that guy has red hair and green eyes.

If the staff let it through application...then you have to accept what the game presents you with and treat it IC! Assume that they have a reason beyond what you understand.

Quote from: Maso on April 05, 2013, 03:35:49 PM
If the staff let it through application...then you have to accept what the game presents you with and treat it IC! Assume that they have a reason beyond what you understand.

Staff are human and are able to make mistakes, too. 'It was three am so I skimmed through the description bit and approved their pale and flawless tribal' will happen every once in a while, and while that is okay, that doesn't make it a more believable character.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Most human tribals would be dark haired and dark skinned as mentioned before. There are various references to it in different places, some of the members of the Seik/Tavan/Arabet would be likely to have blue eyes.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

QuoteWe've all played snowflake characters with colorful eyes at some point during our Arm careers.

Actually, untrue. I never have.I have never done odd hair colors either...or skin....unless you count grey...I have had two grey, but they were both mutants.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Mutants are snowflakes, too ...   Don't discriminate.

April 05, 2013, 08:16:03 PM #22 Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:20:27 PM by musashi
Quote from: Maso on April 05, 2013, 03:35:49 PM

Nope. Sorry. But staff are perfectly capable of approving things in game while at the same time thinking "man this PC is gonna get a lot of shit given the group they're going into".

If it's a newbie, I'm sure staff will send them back a note or something informing them of the norms but beyond that- if the docs say you're all more or less this color, someone shows up who's a different color and your group has taboos about offspring with outsiders ... enjoy the hate you get. You set yourself up for it.

But no matter what, the crap you get should be IC, people should still go out of their way to avoid making personal judgements of the player via the clan GDB, etc.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on April 05, 2013, 08:16:03 PM

But no matter what, the crap you get should be IC, people should still go out of their way to avoid making personal judgements of the player via the clan GDB, etc.

That's basically the point I was trying to make. IG perceptions shouldn't be made from OOC prejudices about how you think the game should be played. IG prejudices should be based off docs.

Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.