'drop' versus 'put'

Started by spawnloser, August 25, 2003, 03:16:44 AM

>l
(Insert bar description here)
An empty long-handled soapstone mug is here on top of the bar.
(Insert other PC's and NPC's here)

Okay, who doesn't know that you can 'put mug bar' instead of doing what results in the above, 'drop mug on top of the bar' ?

Just a friendly public service announcement from yours truly.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

*snicker*
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: "spawnloser">l
(Insert bar description here)
An empty long-handled soapstone mug is here on top of the bar.
(Insert other PC's and NPC's here)

Okay, who doesn't know that you can 'put mug bar' instead of doing what results in the above, 'drop mug on top of the bar' ?

Just a friendly public service announcement from yours truly.

That is done on purpose.
How many times have people:
emote hands ~glass to a passing waitress
and then
junk glass

drop head a puddle of thick blood speckled by fragments of bone surrounds ~ as it lies near the gate

A puddle of thick blood speckled by fragments of bone surrounds the head of the tall, muscular man as it lies near the gate

I used to
drop mug a scrawny, frazzled looking half-elf is here, hurriedly taking orders while balancing ~ on a tray

The first time I ever saw an, what I like to call, environmentally enriching drop was the head of an elf stabbed and stuck to the wall with a dagger. A Tor noble yanked it out after my character stared at it and froze in shock.

I love drop.

I don't see anything wrong with drop, per se, but I don't particularly like dropping drink containers in the main rooms of taverns, for a couple of reasons.

:arrow: Between the 4-5 NPCs that are always there, the room description, and however many PC's wander in and out, the room is spammy enough to walk into (this goes for all taverns).
:arrow: Unless you're shoving that mug or barrel or wineglass or bottle somewhere really (and I mean really) creative, I don't see that it adds any atmosphere whatsoever.  The room is literally filled with similar items already.  It's a tavern, we know there's all sorts of drink containers.  Now, if you're dropping a knife to show it imbedded in a wall or dropping a backpack at your feet, I can understand.  I just don't see how one miniature barrel or soapstone mug is going to stick out that much.

Of course, that's just one woman's opinion.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Wait.  What's the big deal?

Lots of drink containers getting dropped in main rooms of taverns...I'm just trying to inform those that may not know it that they can put those containers on the bar instead of dropping them on the ground but modifying the drop so that the item's ldesc shows it on the bar.  I have to crymerci, there is enough spam walking into a busy tavern to not have to deal with any additional.  Also, if you want something to be on the bar, just f'ing put it on the bar!!!  Don't think that that 'miniature barrel' is so much more noticeable than the 'several empty miniature barrels' already on the bar.  It doesn't stick out.

Also, dropping a mug to show a serving girl or whatever...I think it's assumed that there's a serving girl or five in most of the major taverns/bars in the world.  You don't have to use a mug to show everyone this whenever they enter the room.  I will admit that a good environmentally enhancing drop is awesome...but that stupid little mug adds NOTHING.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

QuoteWait. What's the big deal?

Simply, with a dismissive gesture, the wild-eyed, fiery-maned dude says, in sirihish;

"He's french, Chris.  Let it go."
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

If you have such a problem with it, why don't you emote a server coming and taking it back to the bar and junk it?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

You know what I hate? People who cause the screen to scroll.

The game is spammy enough as it is, we already have short descriptions and room descriptions, we don't need people looking to create atmosphere with emotes or interaction. You know what else? You don't need to fancy up your movement commands either, we know your going west, so just go west without the saunter, okay?
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]

Uhm. I think that he was just stating that some folks might not know that the bar was capable of holding objects...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870