Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Quote from: Harmless on April 01, 2013, 12:00:28 PM
Many people use the days since last reboot. It was useful for a lot of things, but maybe not always in a way the imms always wanted. Easy "abuse" of this was in hunting/grebbing as described, but it had other fun uses that I think will be missed: the chance of finding a random player corpse, or knowing if my mission to find my dead friend's things is totally pointless or not based on last reboot time.
There are a lot more mundane uses as well. For folks who have to schedule their time spent in Arm, it's nice to know game time in advance of log in.  Reboots impact lots of mundane stuff in games and knowing if a reboot just happened is very helpful.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

It's not there because we were working on other stuff (like recovering the perhaps...1500+?...helpfiles that had been edited/added on since the last database backup).

There are some good reasons we had the uptime as well as server time listed.

Uptime -- lets you know if there was a crash or reboot recently for good reasons (i.e., if you lost stuff in your apartment but the game has been going on just fine, you probably were the victim of burglary); lets you know whether a code change has been put into place yet or not.
Server time -- lets you (at a glance) determine when an RPT might be
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

New website looks glorious. Well done Morg & team.

Quote from: Nyr on April 01, 2013, 12:43:52 PM
It's not there because we were working on other stuff (like recovering the perhaps...1500+?...helpfiles that had been edited/added on since the last database backup).

Uptime -- lets you know if there was a crash or reboot recently for good reasons (i.e., if you lost stuff in your apartment but the game has been going on just fine, you probably were the victim of burglary); lets you know whether a code change has been put into place yet or not.

Sweet! Time is there now, or maybe I missed it before!  You guys are PG 13 awesome.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Was the non-Ansi map of zalanthas removed for any particular reason?
Anywhere graphics can be used is an opportunity I think to generally make the website look more polished.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

My only quibble: massive overuse of the word 'harsh'. It's like a hammer. HEY GUISE ITS HARSH HERE

Quote from: Delirium on April 01, 2013, 01:29:49 PM
My only quibble: massive overuse of the word 'harsh'. It's like a hammer. HEY GUISE ITS HARSH HERE

It deserves reiteration for all the players who still haven't gotten the memo on that one.

I've been annoyed with how civil/nice/cooperative most players are in game. From what I've seen the communications on the GDB are more 'harsh' than what I see IG on a typical day.

"It's a harsh world after all.  It's a harsh, harsh world."
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Quote from: Nyr on April 01, 2013, 12:43:52 PM

Or that. that's a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why it's not there.

I just liked watching the number get bigger :)
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

One of the other nifty things that I don't think has been mentioned yet:

You can set up your gravatar account to link up with your e-mail address to put up an avatar icon of your choice for your requests.  It's nifty.  We can do the same thing on our end.  I haven't picked one out yet.  If you don't set one up, that's okay--you get this random and unique avatar design by default instead.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Kaineus on April 01, 2013, 01:34:33 PM

It deserves reiteration for all the players who still haven't gotten the memo on that one.

I've been annoyed with how civil/nice/cooperative most players are in game. From what I've seen the communications on the GDB are more 'harsh' than what I see IG on a typical day.

Do what the less civil half of my players do: take advantage of the soft people. Even the more civil half of my players generally avoid falling into the Sunshine and Bunnies Happiness Sing-a-long. When they do, its because they're medicially insane or warped. Or because they're in Tuluk and will get disappeared for not having a smile on their face.

it would be nice if there were some way to make being a super-nice person unhealthy in places that need it.

The new site looks pretty cool. I have to admit I had a little trouble navigating the helpfiles of the previous site.

Note that the Bio tool is currently in a bad state.  We'll try and have an enhanced version done tonight.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Awh. Get well soon, Bio tool!  :-*
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

It seems whenever I try to open the new page from my laptop, it gives me the mobile page. While that's not a terrible problem in and of itself, I am unable to click to any of the other pages from the mobile page. Both on my laptop, and on my Droid Razr Max. Win 7, Chrome for the laptop.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Quote from: bcw81 on April 01, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
It seems whenever I try to open the new page from my laptop, it gives me the mobile page. While that's not a terrible problem in and of itself, I am unable to click to any of the other pages from the mobile page. Both on my laptop, and on my Droid Razr Max. Win 7, Chrome for the laptop.

Shoot me a screenshot?
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I was just poking around because I really wanted to see that whole background cliff image.  I love this image it's amazing!

Nothing to see here

Yup, that is Andree Wallin's fabulous work.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Morg, the date/time at top of home doesn't display on mobile. (iPhone, safari)

The black div is there but the text isn't.

Beyond a certain point of narrowness the buttons disappear.
Im not sure if possible to have them move to a different side, or something, or if this is just going to be how it is.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.

Looks like he did the official poster for Oblivion (the movie)

http://andreewallin.com/portfolio

Huh!

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on April 01, 2013, 04:19:04 PM
Looks like he did the official poster for Oblivion (the movie)

http://andreewallin.com/portfolio

Huh!

Being talented at something must be awesome :(

This will be my gift to humanity when I am long gone from this world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGwwJEE7k48
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 04:17:02 PM
Im not sure if possible to have them move to a different side, or something, or if this is just going to be how it is.
Quote from: Delirium on April 01, 2013, 04:16:19 PM

Both of these are cases of our 'responsive' design. When your view gets too narrow we hide extra items that are more 'flare' than substance. Things like the headline on the front page, as well as the current time at the top, as well as related topics, and some images hide in smaller form factors. 

The top menu collapses to a button on the right side of the menu when you are on a phone. It still needs some work, best way I've found to navigate is to use the search function instead of the menus while on my phone.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 04:50:08 PM

Both of these are cases of our 'responsive' design. When your view gets too narrow we hide extra items that are more 'flare' than substance. Things like the headline on the front page, as well as the current time at the top, as well as related topics, and some images hide in smaller form factors. 

The top menu collapses to a button on the right side of the menu when you are on a phone. It still needs some work, best way I've found to navigate is to use the search function instead of the menus while on my phone.

The collapsed button interface (on the right side) in narrow browser mode drops over text in a transparent, odd way...

April 01, 2013, 05:40:35 PM #98 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:42:55 PM by Morgenes
Quote from: Jenred on April 01, 2013, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 04:50:08 PM

The collapsed button interface (on the right side) in narrow browser mode drops over text in a transparent, odd way...

Note I said it needed some work. Oddly, if you have the menu locked to the top (because you have scrolled down enough) it shows with a background at least.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Just noticed there is no longer a way to submit Original Submissions (the current 'submissions' request under game used to just be for submissions in response to calls for things from the staff). Could we have an 'original submissions' request with a file upload?