Discussion of changes to Armageddon Website

Started by Morgenes, April 01, 2013, 12:10:18 AM

Quote from: Nyr on April 01, 2013, 02:06:29 PM
One of the other nifty things that I don't think has been mentioned yet:

You can set up your gravatar account to link up with your e-mail address to put up an avatar icon of your choice for your requests.  It's nifty.  We can do the same thing on our end.  I haven't picked one out yet.  If you don't set one up, that's okay--you get this random and unique avatar design by default instead.

Nifty? Nyr please.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Nyr-fty.

The new requests system is so pretty. Love it. So much easier to even look at.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on April 01, 2013, 06:03:41 PM
Nyr-fty.
The new requests system is so pretty. Love it. So much easier to even look at.

Ya. I was startled at first, but The layout and pulldowns are sweet, or..nifty? Why do I feel like I need to get my old slide ruler out when I use that term? Or my Vic Commadore PC?
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Maso on April 01, 2013, 05:50:15 PM
Just noticed there is no longer a way to submit Original Submissions (the current 'submissions' request under game used to just be for submissions in response to calls for things from the staff). Could we have an 'original submissions' request with a file upload?

Ya sorry, it was one of those things I figured could wait a few days till I had time to get back to it, then the database exploded and that was my weekend.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Are there any future plans to make applying for a character via the website/request tool a possibility?
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Quote from: LauraMars on April 01, 2013, 06:37:22 PM
Are there any future plans to make applying for a character via the website/request tool a possibility?

There's been plans for that for a while.  We are honestly much closer than we've ever been, and I forsee it happening in the next year or so.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

April 01, 2013, 06:49:56 PM #106 Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:53:11 PM by Barzalene
Small complaint. I can't stay logged in from session to session. I have to log in each time now. Is there a way to change that?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on April 01, 2013, 06:49:56 PM
Small complaint. I can't stay logged in. I have to log in each time now. Is there a way to change that?

It stays logged in for the length of your session, which hasn't changed (the old website made you log in every session as well)
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Yes, but I could save the info and just hit enter.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Whoops! Never mind. It does that.

Quote from: Adhira
*  Staff run plots. Ermaghard. What? A joke right? Actually this one is true

Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

The original submissions probably should be more like a gallery than a feed. Guessing the presentation here might still be up for debate? Might be nice to be able to add keywords (looks like it's still connected to the contributors account as it's pulling their global avatar thingy next to submissions, so contributors could potentially revisit their old submissions to add keywords here rather than some poor sod go through and do it) and be able to search by keyword - like elf or dwarf (omg they're all bald). Maybe.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on April 01, 2013, 09:48:33 PM
The original submissions probably should be more like a gallery than a feed. Guessing the presentation here might still be up for debate? Might be nice to be able to add keywords (looks like it's still connected to the contributors account as it's pulling their global avatar thingy next to submissions, so contributors could potentially revisit their old submissions to add keywords here rather than some poor sod go through and do it) and be able to search by keyword - like elf or dwarf (omg they're all bald). Maybe.

We can talk about it, but I hated the old format.  I was thinking about adding tags, but when you search right now it searches the title, the 'short' description as well as the full body of the text.  Try searching 'dwarf'.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2013, 04:01:39 PM
Quote from: bcw81 on April 01, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
It seems whenever I try to open the new page from my laptop, it gives me the mobile page. While that's not a terrible problem in and of itself, I am unable to click to any of the other pages from the mobile page. Both on my laptop, and on my Droid Razr Max. Win 7, Chrome for the laptop.

Shoot me a screenshot?
Sorry, I leave my laptop at work. But it's basically what Jenrad was saying.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

This is beautiful.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

For those of you looking for the Biography tool, we got it published tonight.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

I would just like to say I love the new website. I love the logo at the top, it looks really professional and reminds me of old DnD books and stuff. Nostalgia + Arm = good time.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Love the new site, it's easy maneuvering and gorgeous.

I'm not all that thrilled about setup of the original submissions page. It is showing at the top, a poem by Torgun from December 6, and at the bottom is a story by Youngervaleria from August, with mostly pictures inbetween. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and it -also- doesn't mention at the top that it's intentionally random.

There's no drop-down so that new members can know *what* to search for, and since they're new, they don't know what to search for intuitively. From a new player's standpoint, everything on that initial screen IS all the original submissions that exist, and the search button just allows them to search for stuff within that limited number of entries. They have no way of knowing that more entries exist, or how they are categorized.

So I recommend a drop-down like the one that was on the old site. Or at least instructions at the very top of the original submissions page explaining HOW to find stuff that isn't on that initial page (the 23 entries from Torgen to Youngervaleria).
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 02, 2013, 08:20:30 AM
Love the new site, it's easy maneuvering and gorgeous.

I'm not all that thrilled about setup of the original submissions page. It is showing at the top, a poem by Torgun from December 6, and at the bottom is a story by Youngervaleria from August, with mostly pictures inbetween. There's no rhyme or reason to it, and it -also- doesn't mention at the top that it's intentionally random.

There's no drop-down so that new members can know *what* to search for, and since they're new, they don't know what to search for intuitively. From a new player's standpoint, everything on that initial screen IS all the original submissions that exist, and the search button just allows them to search for stuff within that limited number of entries. They have no way of knowing that more entries exist, or how they are categorized.

So I recommend a drop-down like the one that was on the old site. Or at least instructions at the very top of the original submissions page explaining HOW to find stuff that isn't on that initial page (the 23 entries from Torgen to Youngervaleria).

Gah, I'm sorry folks, this is another case of something I had fixed but was backed out by the database restore.  I've added it to my to-do list which will fix the paging.  Sorry.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

Very nice looking change.

Good job to everyone involved in the web page changes!

This new look really gives the MUD a more inviting appearance.

I've noticed that responses to requests aren't getting emailed; only the resolution/closure of the request.

Quote from: Delirium on April 02, 2013, 02:17:22 PM
I've noticed that responses to requests aren't getting emailed; only the resolution/closure of the request.

Did you get that response at all--that is, could you see it in the request queue?
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on April 02, 2013, 02:24:20 PM
Quote from: Delirium on April 02, 2013, 02:17:22 PM

Did you get that response at all--that is, could you see it in the request queue?

When I checked the request queue I found it underneath the resolution response, but only got the resolution in the email.

I hope that makes sense?

(p.s. and, thank you for the response!)

The new site is gorgeous.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.