From ATS: Common Causes of PC Death

Started by Morrolan, March 19, 2013, 09:10:24 PM

March 19, 2013, 09:10:24 PM Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:26:31 PM by Morrolan
From my own history (out of 34 gone):

• Storage - 8
  • Killed - 26

The Dead:

• NPCs - 18 (IIRC, one was on the order of a PC) (most common is spider-related problems - 5)
  • Falls - 3
  • PCs - 2
  • Unlisted - 2 (IIRC one was a mercy death from my byn sergeant after a gith attack)
  • Death flag - 1
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Yeah, more than half my PC deaths were from doing something stupid. Worth it though.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

I refuse to stop doing stupid things. It may not be smart but its still fun as hell.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Quote from: Recharge on March 19, 2013, 09:35:39 PM
I refuse to stop doing stupid things. It may not be smart but its still fun as hell.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

My longest lived PC continues to be the one I did the most stupid things on (fight a dujat in a storm with a skinning knife, wander naked into the red desert, try to join the militia as a breed, walk around Allanak in Tuluki noble armor etc etc).
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

#1 reason for PC deaths:

XD

True fact: When XD's last character was a little boy, he followed a trail to find silver. He found the halflings, but when he asked for silver, they refused to give it to him. This is why we no longer have halflings.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I don't think I've ever been PKed, except for that one time when I wanted to quit Borsail because I told them their clan was boring, ICly, like, 8 years ago.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

March 20, 2013, 12:31:09 AM #7 Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:58:57 AM by hyzhenhok
My record from 2007 to January 2012

7 PCs dead to aggro NPCs
4 PCs dead to non-aggro NPCs that I stupidly attacked
--> One was a backstab mistargeted at a mount. The guy mounted on top sat there and laughed. :(
3 PCs PK'd
--> One of these, I backstabbed an NPC Templar for my dwarf's focus. He merely knocked me out. The PC Templar who showed up to deal with it was not lenient.
1 PC dead to running from soldiers
1 PC dead to eating something poisoned
1 PC dead to falling

5 PCs stored (3 were long-lived)

I've been PKed twice.

One was by somebody who I still think is a nob to this day but I will not go further into it.

The other happened so fast that I hadn't realized what happened until the mantis head.

There's two PKs that I've done which I regret. I was a n00b at the time.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

It's hard to regret PKing when you're playing true to the character/scenario.  If we wanted to play MUSH, we'd be doing that.  As for deaths, I have to agree with staff answers.  Generally, stupidity.  Or good, clean fun.  Or both!

Here's my personal death stats:

Total: 18
Death from NPC: 9
Death from PC: 4
Storage: 4
Deathflag: 1

I'd say about 75% of my deaths were stupidity, and the remaining 25% were fitting ends to the character.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Quote from: Kismetic on March 20, 2013, 01:08:46 AM
It's hard to regret PKing when you're playing true to the character/scenario.  If we wanted to play MUSH, we'd be doing that.  As for deaths, I have to agree with staff answers.  Generally, stupidity.  Or good, clean fun.  Or both!

True, but some PK's even ones with RP backing, when you're the PKer, sometimes you feel a little bad afterward because you had to end someone's character. I have felt this a few times myself.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

March 20, 2013, 02:35:53 AM #13 Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 02:38:36 AM by solera
I think I've had 12.
1 noob disconnect
1 stored (interim pc)
1 accidental poison
5 wilderness NPC  (elf, tembo, kryl, carru, spider)
1 NPC soldier
3 PC's who my PCs had irritated by stealing stabbing and blasphemy

7 of the deaths were a combination of ic influences and my stupidity ,( 3 overestimating the effectiveness of my skillz or a superior attribute and too much faith in the  F1 key.)
1 I suddenly wanted to chop things up.charge carru         with a PC that had spanned 3 years.
1 was pure stupidity on the part of my PC
3 were inexperience of the game world, not really understanding that it is dangerous out there.

Every character I've ever had die, was due to player stupidity.

17 total characters done for me:

9 - NPC
1 - Poison
1 - Falling
3 - Storage
3 - PK (one of these was when I was afk, and the newbie in the sparring room decided he wanted to spar me.. to the death)
Was there no safety? No learning by heart of the ways of the world? No guide, no shelter, but all was miracle and leaping from the pinnacle of a tower into the air?

Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse

Most of mine were assassinated. Most of the rest were stored. A very small handful were attacked and killed by gith/raptors/random NPC mobs.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Total: 29

NPC: 16
PC: 3
Death Flag: 1
Stored: 5
Poison: 2
Immortal Fury: 1

I got a kick out of reading the NPCs that have killed my characters.  More halflings and gith than I remembered.
Immortal Fury isn't as cool as it sounds!  After returning from a almost 6 year break (back in '09), I wished up saying I think this guy is too old to live.  Heart Attack!?

Nothing to see here

Quote from: Jestor on March 20, 2013, 09:34:54 AM
Total: 29

NPC: 16
PC: 3
Death Flag: 1
Stored: 5
Poison: 2
Immortal Fury: 1

I got a kick out of reading the NPCs that have killed my characters.  More halflings and gith than I remembered.
Immortal Fury isn't as cool as it sounds!  After returning from a almost 6 year break (back in '09), I wished up saying I think this guy is too old to live.  Heart Attack!?

Do I count as one of the three?

(Does it still count as death by stupidity if it's someone else's stupidity?)

20 years in. Still feel bad.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Jestor on March 20, 2013, 09:34:54 AM

They can do stuff like that? Dang, I kinda wish I'd gotten the guy run over by a Wagon or something instead of storing. Would've at least made people smile.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Kryl.

I have a charecter notes request in, I will post all my stupidity when it gets back, so I got all the up to date stupid crap i've done since my last one a long while back.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

22 - NPCs (5 to spiders; otherwise, it's a nice mix)
18 - stored
3 - poison (from NPCs)
1 - dehydration
1 - desert elf PC
1 - Nilazi PC
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

As far as my own running total goes, it's something like

3 - NPCs
2 - Stored

I think the NPCs were all Kryl, but I may have tried to mug an NPC in the 'rinth or been mugged, I can't remember. Don't have the logs anymore, sadly.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Kryl.

3 stored
2 PK'ed
2 poison
14 NPCs (halflings, scrabs, rinthis, templars, raptors, wezers, inix)
1 environment
1 dehydration

33 total
- 8 stored
Leaves 25 that count, of those:
1 - Suicide which was actually - Immortal Fury, come revel in your power!!!!! (stupidity, that was mostly -player- impatience rather than character unraveling)
1 - Fall (stupidity)
1 - Quitting out while in negative HPs (stupidity)
2 - soldier deaths (stupidity)
1 - arena deaths (gladiator - still stupidity)
4 - NPC deaths (all stupidity)

15 PK or PK related deaths, whether they be arena thrown, soldier ordered, one on one or whatever. Most of my deaths are PKs.

That totally makes me happy.
* ShaLeah .... who apparently makes characters everyone loves to hate enough to kill.... w00t!
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.