whisper self

Started by Fredd, March 19, 2013, 04:39:52 PM

Why in the world can't I mumble to myself sadly, or angerly, or something? Make people with the listen skill work to hear me, and everyone else can't?

Lol, that's my code idea.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I'd use this if it was implemented. I also use the 'think' command for actual IC stuff just in case Mindbenders or staff are around.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a Kryl.

It's been proposed before. I would like to see it in game.

Even if you don't 'whisper self', you could of course just use 'mumble <words you want to mumble>'

Then it could either do a listen check, as you indicated, or even do something like the way the language code currently works and scramble the letters a bit so that it's not entirely intelligible but you can hear it pretty much every time. Either way.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

lol +1 to this idea.

So many opportunities for trollish RP.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I have suggested it in the past, as have others.

I still think it would be great...I mumble alot IRL...mostly because I am married.

But still, it is one of those fun things that does not even have any realistic workaround.

So, I am still all for whisper self or mumble.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

+1
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I talk to the computer, I talk to the car, I talk to the traffic, I talk to the air, I talk to myself. Mostly, I talk to "the people who I -would- talk to if they were here and I had a better pair of cojones, but they're not, and I don't." Out loud, often. Whisper self or mumble are REALISTIC! And PLAYABLE! and BELIEVABLE! It's 3 times double plus good and fun for the whole family!
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

+ 1
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

+infinity, stamped it

I wanna mutter to myself, it'd be the single most used command the day it was implemented.

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

A lot of times I will just

>em mutters darkly to himself

Or

>em mumbles incoherently

But it would be nice if people had a chance of overhearing the actual words, and I still try to whisper to myself on occasion, or whisper without a target, and pretty much pthink every time, "Dangit, I can't whisper to myself?"
Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Yes, please. I would use this all the time.

I want this.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I whisper to myself in-game all the time and then realize it isn't implemented.

I personally want to whisper to ANYTHING.  I have often whispered to my weapon, or to a shoulder-hawk, or whatever I feel like whispering to at the time.

whisper ring (stroking it lovingly) My precccciouuusss....

Quote from: AreteX on April 15, 2013, 08:02:30 AM
I whisper to myself in-game all the time and then realize it isn't implemented.

I personally want to whisper to ANYTHING.  I have often whispered to my weapon, or to a shoulder-hawk, or whatever I feel like whispering to at the time.

whisper ring (stroking it lovingly) My precccciouuusss....

Yes. I would love to be able to direct tell to objects as well as whisper. But... whisper self... still gets my vote, with or without that.
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

I dig this.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

If they just removed the necessity to have a target for whisper so you could just 'whisper', then you could add any target (self, sword, bird, imaginary friend) into the command emote.
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Quote from: Maso on April 15, 2013, 10:14:45 AM
If they just removed the necessity to have a target for whisper so you could just 'whisper', then you could add any target (self, sword, bird, imaginary friend) into the command emote.

My question for this would be: Wouldn't that require the person (as now) if you wanted a person to hear it, to have the listen skill to hear it and still possibly fail? If not, I like this solution.

You can now target yourself with a whisper using 'me', 'self' and keywords.  When targeting yourself you will mumble to yourself and it will behave just like any other whisper.

Awesome! thank you guys so much. :)