Trap and Flashpowder

Started by Nyr, March 06, 2013, 12:52:49 PM

Flashpowder is gone.  I am assuming then that the trap code itself is disabled as well, so that trapped items lurking in rarely accessed storage areas are now safe?

The reason I liked flashpowder was specifically because it was so rare.  Someone who used flashpowder seemed even rarer than magickers, etc.  And I was amused at all the wrong guesses about what organizations produced the stuff, but it was a nice bit of RP for folks to IC'ly try to figure out.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Quote from: Nyr on March 07, 2013, 09:13:35 AM
Quote from: Rhyden on March 06, 2013, 10:55:05 PM
I was referring to 'nobody having used trap and flash powder for the past few years' as a reason for its removal.

Because it's kind of difficult to use trap and flash when it was next to if not completely impossible to obtain in the first place.

I won't say it was easy to get, but there was certainly enough of it around.  It took me about half an hour to remove it from every spot in the game, including removing it from an accessible shopkeeper that sold it.

Quote from: Fredd on March 06, 2013, 10:54:26 PM
Part of it's non-use is that a lot of us couldn't fgure out how to make it. But it's all good, i hope to see some awesome possibilities.

But you could figure out how to obtain it if you wanted to do so.  It was definitely in-game.

Quote from: Potaje on March 06, 2013, 10:56:47 PM
Would have been cool to replace the hp damage with stun damage, and perhaps have the flash release be an overwhelming smoke that reels the senses and enough of it compassionate.

...weed bomb?

Quote from: Fredd on March 06, 2013, 11:00:03 PM
And now you see one of my goals. I was going to try and invent smoke traps.

You'll want to keep staff apprised of stuff you want to invent with your PCs, particularly if it means new code and an assessment of its place in Zalanthas.

I was, on the pc I was trying it on. He was killed before I could finish figuring out how to make the flashpowder that would have been the base though. I typically send weekly reports on all of my pc's just to let the staff know what I've been doing and why. As well as asking them about some goals. At the time, i had full staff support for it.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 06, 2013, 12:54:47 PM
Are those files going to be /have been already changed to give the Tuluki terrorists some other means of blowing up buildings?

Are the memory files in my brain going to also be retconned?

Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. If they used fire magick, torches and pitch or an obese clown-haired half giant's fart, it's been changed.

Flashpowder is gone dudes, it's done. Didn't really fit the theme anyway, imho.

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

March 07, 2013, 09:42:19 PM #29 Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:47:44 PM by KankWhisperer
How are magick hating, northern patriots going to use magick. Psh.

What's in the barrel, fellow rebel?

....magick?

I just smile when I look at the history page and see that entry because I was a part of it. Probably why I am irritated if they change the entry more than flash powder itself.

It's kind of sad, to me, when revisionist history is a change of what the *players* know, rather than a change of what the *PCs* know. I totally get that the history of the game, as far as IC lore is concerned, needs to be adjusted. But it'd be great if there were an OOC document, that was intended exclusively for OOC knowledge, so that the players can see the changes and progress and evolution of the game, as it really was.

So like - ICly - flash powder never happened, and any PC who tries to bring it up is summarily silenced (whether by making fun of him til he cries, or with a dagger to the chest).

But OOCly, we all know flash powder existed, we know it was used to do this that and the other thing, but for X Y and Z reason, it was eliminated from game play and the IC history changed to reflect its disappearance.

In short: I'm all for IC revisionist history. It makes sense, in a world such as Zalanthas. I am not for OOC revisionist history. It puts the kibosh on any OOC sense of accomplishment of the players who were involved in the actual events.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Fredd on March 07, 2013, 07:54:14 PM
I was, on the pc I was trying it on. He was killed before I could finish figuring out how to make the flashpowder that would have been the base though. I typically send weekly reports on all of my pc's just to let the staff know what I've been doing and why. As well as asking them about some goals. At the time, i had full staff support for it.

Not quite.  Being told that the whole concept would need staff support is not the same as actually having staff support for the whole concept.  ;)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

I've also edited the history page.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Quote from: Nyr on March 08, 2013, 08:37:25 AM
Quote from: Fredd on March 07, 2013, 07:54:14 PM

Not quite.  Being told that the whole concept would need staff support is not the same as actually having staff support for the whole concept.  ;)

On my  report dated Nov. 11 2011 the Staff member in charge of my clan told me it was absolutely possible to do. Sorry, i took that as staff support.

We also further discussed it over other reports. It was to be a long time goal of research for my guy ;)
And I was informed I would need another Guild's assistance as well.

I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

I wasn't your clan staff then, but I did see that report among others, one of which said that you would need staff support in order to see that come about. Just clarifying that we do not appear to have given you carte blanche in the past to make smoke bombs IG. You can even search your request history to confirm that if need be.

Quote from: Nyr on March 08, 2013, 09:45:34 AM
I wasn't your clan staff then, but I did see that report among others, one of which said that you would need staff support in order to see that come about. Just clarifying that we do not appear to have given you carte blanche in the past to make smoke bombs IG. You can even search your request history to confirm that if need be.

Didn't say I had Carte Blanche. Just said I had support to work towards my goal. I'm sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

As I have said all I need to say on this topic (that I really look forward to a revamped trap skill with kewl new traps) I'm bowing out of the convo at this point.

Hrm... What's that I smell in the air?

Is that...
Hrm...
I think it is...

An impending locking?

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I don't smell it.  I have a cold.

Possible and feasible are not always the same.

Quote from: Potaje on March 06, 2013, 10:56:47 PM
Would have been cool to replace the hp damage with stun damage, and perhaps have the flash release be an overwhelming smoke that reels the senses and enough of it compassionate.

Honestly, how is HP damage different from stun damage?  If it doesn't knock you out on the first hit, how is it significant?  How does it change how the victim will act?

I would actually discourage stun damage, as it's a bit too easy to stack on for those who can and leaves characters just as dead over a given period of time.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Only ever saw flashpowder once and it didn't do much, even blasting some chump full in the face when he opened a pack. I think traps, as a whole, shouldn't be IG. Too open to PK abuse and getting around the crim code to randomly murder people.
The Devil doesn't dawdle.

Quote from: Scarecrow on March 08, 2013, 11:59:19 PM
...randomly murder people.

Yeah, that's the issue.
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

As much as I've disliked some retcons (hey now, sammiches), this one I get. Trap and flashpowder were designed to work together, and when people as a collective can't or don't understand how flashpowder actually works (ie, it not actually being an explosive), then it's better to remove them from the game. It clears up a need for people to be corrected over and over on it and come away feeling like 'Hey, so and so got to do it in the history timeline but it doesn't work that way now?!!?', and it also forces people to be more patient or creative or take a more direct route to the murder part of the murder, corruption, betrayal tagline. Which can only be good, I would think.

Either that or you could always shit-mug a guy. ;)

(disclaimer: So I've heard on the board, I've never actually been able to bring myself to do it in game to see if it works or not.)
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Small little derail, can you make explosives from guano?
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on March 09, 2013, 09:29:58 AM

You need some sulfur, too.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

To bad we don't have any volcanoes around...

Shit bombs. I like where this going.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on March 09, 2013, 10:47:07 AM
Shit bombs. I like where this going.

Only available to bynner assassins.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Alternatively, produce saltpeter from urine.

QuoteUrine has also been used in the manufacture of saltpeter for gunpowder. In this process, stale urine placed in a container of straw hay is allowed to sour for many months, after which water is used to wash the resulting chemical salts from the straw. The process is completed by filtering the liquid through wood ashes and air-drying in the sun. Saltpeter crystals can then be collected and added to brimstone and charcoal to create black powder.[4][5][6][7][8]

shitpissbombs
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Mood on March 16, 2013, 02:25:16 AM

Alternatively, produce saltpeter from urine.

QuoteUrine has also been used in the manufacture of saltpeter for gunpowder. In this process, stale urine placed in a container of straw hay is allowed to sour for many months, after which water is used to wash the resulting chemical salts from the straw. The process is completed by filtering the liquid through wood ashes and air-drying in the sun. Saltpeter crystals can then be collected and added to brimstone and charcoal to create black powder.[4][5][6][7][8]

shitpissbombs

Saltpeter can be found under dung of omnivores.