changing tdesc and stealth

Started by Fredd, March 04, 2013, 03:34:19 AM

I have always wondered this, but I could never think of a way to ask someone in the game if it does or not, without breaking ic.

Does changing your tdesc while hidden reveal you?
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

It does not.  However, it's not very smart to change tdesc (or to add a bio) while hiding.  It'd be a real shame if someone noticed you a room away and shot your hiding butt while you were in an editor.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Quote from: Nyr on March 04, 2013, 08:21:04 AM
It does not.  However, it's not very smart to change tdesc (or to add a bio) while hiding.  It'd be a real shame if someone noticed you a room away and shot your hiding butt while you were in an editor.

I agree, I've just always wanted to know.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

March 04, 2013, 09:40:40 AM #3 Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:44:26 AM by Jenred
Quote from: Fredd on March 04, 2013, 08:40:33 AM
It does not.  However, it's not very smart to change tdesc (or to add a bio) while hiding.  It'd be a real shame if someone noticed you a room away and shot your hiding butt while you were in an editor.

Why? I'm genuinely curious because while hiding has never been the moment when I've decided to change something temporary about my description.

Like if it was something related to the hiding, it would be invalid the moment I stopped hiding anyways. It just seems really wonky.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Quote from: Jenred on March 04, 2013, 09:40:40 AM
Quote from: Fredd on March 04, 2013, 08:40:33 AM
It does not.  However, it's not very smart to change tdesc (or to add a bio) while hiding.  It'd be a real shame if someone noticed you a room away and shot your hiding butt while you were in an editor.

Why? I'm genuinely curious because while hiding has never been the moment when I've decided to change something temporary about my description.

Like if it was something related to the hiding, it would be invalid the moment I stopped hiding anyways. It just seems really wonky.

It first came up when i was wearing the IG equivalent to a ski mask. And after doing nothing but sneaking around, I realized I should probably add a tdesc line that points out the mask covers my face and hair. and i had to wonder " Would that break my hide?"

> .x flee self
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."

Well, I like to say
~ is half buried under rotting rubbish
in case someone does see me.
I don't like "is hiding here".  Or standing here either, but can't  fix that most of the time.

whisper solera (leaning aside) Same here, but he's talking about tdesc, and that's ldesc.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: Morrolan on March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 PM

> .x flee self

You have to have the battle-hardened reflexes of an IRC regular to remember to use the .x command in a time of trouble!  ;)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

Yeah, more than likely you'll find some dude bleeding profusely with a desc like this:

This man has curly, silken hair that is henna-shaded and has been
combed and is newly trimmed, falling about his shoulders in a neat
array. A pair of large, light grey eyes rest sit high above his
stubble-dusted cheeks and chin. The bridge of his nose is slightly
crooked, likely from a past breaking, and it sits above generous,
pale pinks lips. Though well-attired, his body is taut with compact,
well-defined muscle which is sleek enough to give an impression of
some inherent grace to each movement where it picks out delicate
sinews against his skin.
His hair is currently tied back in askhjgf flee
s
s
ss
s
s
s
s
sn
e
n
s
The slender, henna-haired man is in excellent condition.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I wish there was a way to test commands to see if they would change your visibility status.  Or just a helpfile with all/most commands that will or won't take you out of hide.

There have been so many times I've thought, "I should do this... but that might take me out of hide.  Guess I'll just sit here and use semote."

Quote from: Old Kank on March 05, 2013, 12:25:08 PM
I wish there was a way to test commands to see if they would change your visibility status.  Or just a helpfile with all/most commands that will or won't take you out of hide.

There have been so many times I've thought, "I should do this... but that might take me out of hide.  Guess I'll just sit here and use semote."

Help hide covers most (if not all) of these areas.

Quote from: Nyr on March 05, 2013, 12:28:03 PM
Quote from: Old Kank on March 05, 2013, 12:25:08 PM

Help hide covers most (if not all) of these areas.

Yep, tdesc is just the one I couldn't figure out. Thanks again for your help Nyr :)