Slaves

Started by Gilgamesh, February 27, 2013, 09:49:20 PM

Does a commoner have the right to own a slave (assuming they could afford it, of course)? Before it's pointed out, I already know that as a player, you cannot buy an actual coded slave (as far as I know).
Light RP is like light beer: It fucking sucks and makes me fall asleep.

I miss Tuluk....

I'm pretty sure they do, it's just not super common. There are echoes about commoners with slaves in Allanak.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

GMH's own slaves. They are not nobility or templars.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

Agree with HavokBlue. Slaves are expensiv, to house, feed, and keep under control. Some commoners can afford it, most can't. The echoes around the slave markets make it clear it's not just nobles or greater house merchants (who are a type of commoner anyway) who are looking to buy.

Most commoners wouldn't have the coin to buy a slave, let alone feed, water and clothe it, house it and protect it.

You'd have to be a really important commoner for any reputable slaving house to give one of their stock to you, I think.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

In the past I've played a commoner who bought a PC slave from a templar PC. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to approach Borsail (other slaving houses are available) to negotiate for purchasing your own slave.

ShaLeah has is right about all of the ongoing costs of slave ownership as a slave isn't a one time purchase like a sword. Also Borsail (or your preferred slaving house) will likely check you out to ensure you're the kind of person they want owning one of their slaves as they have their own reputation to uphold. A merchant moving up in the world buying a vNPC house slave or two to keep their apartment clean and/or a labour slave to organize their warehouse seems perfectly within the bounds of realism to me though.

As always chat with your clan staff (unclanned staff are awesome if you're independent) and let them know your plans as their feedback will be the most accurate. You may be surprised by what staff allow if it suits what you're playing.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Borsail has held slave auctions in the past, and probably will in the future.

there "Freeman's work slave's" around tulk and such too. It's not common, but more wealthy commoners could afford one.

You would probably have to be more rich in Allanak, due to the cost of food.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

As long as we're on the topic of slaves, I have a question:

Do tribes have slaves in Zalanthas? Are they represented in the gameworld at all?

Quote from: BadSkeelz on March 01, 2013, 08:28:42 PM
As long as we're on the topic of slaves, I have a question:

Do tribes have slaves in Zalanthas? Are they represented in the gameworld at all?

Yup, some tribes definitely do, and some of them have been PC roles in the past as well. I played one roundabout five years ago and it was great fun!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station