New Idea: Brief attention.

Started by musashi, February 16, 2013, 10:54:59 PM

You don't see emotes or talks from any table other than your own.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Dear ginka YES PLEASE.

You still see room stuff, but nothing from other tables/bars/pillows/whatever.

Brilliance.

You want to ignore other's roleplay? You'll miss out on a lot.

You can use gag for that, it doesn't have to be a mud change.

Might I also suggest a loner?  Not hanging out in a tavern?

Not crazy about this idea.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

one word: superlargerptswhereit'simpossibletoseewhat'sgoingon

Quote from: Delirium on February 16, 2013, 11:24:05 PM
one word: superlargerptswhereit'simpossibletoseewhat'sgoingon
one word: GAG
(the only downside being if that gagged PC attacks your ass) lol
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Messing with your mud client settings on the fly to ignore stuff that is not pertinent to you, I think.

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 16, 2013, 11:37:01 PM
Messing with your mud client settings on the fly to ignore stuff that is not pertinent to you, I think.

It's an ignore feature (some/mine) mud clients have. It blocks whatever you tell it to.
Let's say you wanna play an anorexic. You can gag "You are hungry" (and subsequent messages) up until Your health worsens blah blah blah.
Maybe your person is deaf. You can set the client to show you nothing but a message you personalize when someone tells you something "You notice <whoever> is trying to tell you something". You get the picture.

February 17, 2013, 01:26:05 AM #8 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:31:39 AM by musashi
Yes. When I am in a room full of 12+ people, and I'm being spammed with a barraige of "so and so nods while they speak at their table" talk emotes ... I want to ignore other people's RP.

I also don't want to accidentally not notice I got attacked because I was using the gag feature of my client on the fly.

But I do want to focus on the RP going on at the table with the people I'm actually interacting with.

Staff can monitor the whole game world right? Catch every single emote/think/say/tell/recite/sing/whisper/ect every single PC does ... if you can understand why they might want that feature to be set on a toggle rather than just on full blast all the time ... then I think you can understand why players in a crowded room might want something similiar on a smaller scale.

It's not really about ignoring people, it's about being able to pay attention to the people you're interacting with.

This is a great idea. It's kind of unrealistic to see what everyone is doing when there's 12+ people around at various tables. Also not all clients have a gag option.

+1

Actually...I like this idea too.

Partly because it is a way to be rid of spam..

But mostly because I often play chars that really don't care that joe bynner is flirting with that rinthi breed at some other table.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

If you were in a bar that was the same size as many in game and it was filled to near capacity with drunks, wouldn't you have a hard time hearing things? I kinda think room spam provides some accidental realism in these cases.

Even if I were to grant the notion that visual screen spam = background noise in a taven (which I don't grant, for the record) ...

I'm gonna go with the old playability > realism position on this one.

Also, just fyi to Shaleah - you're assuming that everyone in the bar has the listen skill. That's the only way you -can- "miss out" on conversations, by gagging the table talking. If you don't have the listen skill, you can't hear what they're saying anyway. So why would it matter in *most* cases, that they're talking to each other? The only thing you're missing out on is this:

Snickering softly, the green-eyed woman says something to the blue-haired man at a large round table.
Nodding agreeingly to the green-eyed woman, hand fluttering to brush a lock of glistening golden hair away from his round ear with a perfectly manicured finger, the blue-haired mand says something at a large round table.

I think most of us would benefit from a toggle that allows us to ignore that.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

February 17, 2013, 08:45:57 AM #14 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 08:48:11 AM by musashi
Basically, I just want a brief toggle that will make

> talk (emote) Blah blah blah.

Every bit as unnoticable to those not using their listen skill as

> talk Blah blah blah.

already is.

I think this would make RPT's a lot more bearable.

I hate to admit RPT's are fun, but they wear me the hell out. I'm all excited.. but it goes something like this after I get there.

1. Get there, all excited.
2. Locate some people.
3. Try to say hello, wait until they finish talking to whoever they are talking to.
4. Watch the screen jump 200 lines.
5. Repeat myself, unsure if they heard.
6. Suddenly screen scrolls another 100 lines, and I think I saw the grand-RPT-Pobah's name in there.
7. scrollllllling back like, "did they just announce something? No okay.. where was I?"
8. Scroll back down through the 100 lines, and then 100 more that appeared while I was checking.
9. Someone ways me all of a sudden, I scroll back through the spam to find it.
10. I find it, reply.
11. Make it back down through 400 lines and so-and-so I was talking said something and left.
12. Repeat from stage 2.

Stage #6 sometimes involves me noticing my name, or someone saying something insane that might be related to me. But it's the same idea.

This goes double for if I'm involved in aforementioned RPT and not a spectator.
me: "Is it my turn? Do I do that now? Who's Here? What did that guy say? What's their name? Where am I going? Answer me dammit! Psi: Stop wayying me so and so I'm lost and confused.."

I'm not sure how this can be appropriately dealt with. But I'd love a solution or suggestion.

And yes, I turn listen off at these things. I can't possibly imagine having it on.
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

Highlight the word "you".
Highlight your name.

God, I need to man up and learn to use a MUDclient...
I play on hard mode. (AKA using flash client exclusively)

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 17, 2013, 09:23:48 AM
Highlight the word "you".
Highlight your name.

Exactly.

You can gag talks at any other table and hence their emotes is my point, not just for the listeners. If you can gag anything, why do we need a toggle. I understand the allure, I'd even use it, I just don't see a need to code it.

February 17, 2013, 10:19:33 AM #19 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 10:26:22 AM by musashi
Quote from: ShaLeah on February 17, 2013, 09:36:43 AM
If you can gag anything, why do we need a toggle.

Let me answer that for you.

Quote from: ShaLeah on February 17, 2013, 09:36:43 AM
I understand the allure, I'd even use it,

I don't get this "Because we can imperfectly gag things client side ... let's never build the function into the game" position.

You can make aliases client side, yet aliases are coded into the game as well.
You can gag all your miss messages in combat, yet brief combat is coded into the game as well.
You can macro "get arrow quiver; ep arrow" to a single command key, yet "pull quiver" is a function coded into the game as well.
You can color code damage messages in combat client side, yet this feature is coded into the game as well.

They're there, because they're nice functions that people use. That's the reason.  ???

Quote from: musashi on February 17, 2013, 10:19:33 AM
You can color code damage messages in combat client side, yet this feature is coded into the game as well.

???

> help ansi

Color                                                         (Miscellaneous)

Armageddon automatically detects your client's settings to use some basic
color settings, such as highlighting damage messages when you are hit.  

If you would like a richer color experience, the Armageddon General
Discussion Board has had several threads where players have posted what clients
they use and their client configurations for color settings.  We suggest
you check there.

Delay:
  after

Reasoning:

It would be more convenient to more people to have one command game-side to toggle off or on...
than it would be to not have a command, and all the people who are inconvenienced by -not- having the command, having to each individually create a client-side script to do it for them.

Not that I'm saying the staff needs to work on it and implement it - but just explaining the reason why people think it's a good idea...

You can have a couple of coders (or Morgenes the Wonder-Boy) write a procedure, which allows 200 players to toggle -on- when it shows up, defaulted to -off- - by simply typing "talk squelch on" or "talk brief on" or "roombrief RPT mode on" or whatever else..

Or you can make 200 players each write out their own script on their own client, several of whom aren't all that good at writing scripts and end up being disappointed because they can't make it work, or spend countless hours trying to read the help files, or asking their buddies how to do it, or maybe 100 of those 200 just not bothering and dealing with the inconvenience of not being able to do it, which doesn't "hurt" them exactly, but makes playing during RPTs less fun than it would be if they were able to do such a thing.

200 people typing "toggle on"

vs.

200 people each writing a script in their client.

That's why it'd be a neat addition, if a couple of coders (or Morgenes the Wonder-Boy) were inspired to consider it.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

table-mote: the talk of emotes

tmote nods noddily at ~2.nodder
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Quote from: Delirium on August 04, 2014, 10:11:38 AM
fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Being able to consciously ignore everything that happens in a tavern (tells, emotes, enter/exit messages) except for combat, magic, shouts, and conversation/emotes at one's own table would be nice.