The sum of the parts is greater than that of the whole?

Started by Maker, February 02, 2013, 09:54:38 AM

So, I have three branches, and they all fit in my pack.  With my handy dandy skills, I can (and do) get three arrow shafts from each branch (you all now know where I'm going with this?).  So why, then, cannot all 9 shafts fit into my pack?  If anything, they weigh less. 
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

Did you have all the branches, feathes AND stones for arrowheads in your pack?

If so, the branches are probably more likely to be too light than the arrows too heavy, becase... reasons that shouldn't be discussed on the GDB.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on February 02, 2013, 11:14:23 AM
Did you have all the branches, feathes AND stones for arrowheads in your pack?

If so, the branches are probably more likely to be too light than the arrows too heavy, becase... reasons that shouldn't be discussed on the GDB.

I had 3 branches in my pack that, yes, was full of plenty of other supplies.  Took the 3 branches out.  Converted them into total of 9 arrow shafts.  Could not fit all the shafts back into the pack.  If anything, the 9 shafts should take up less room, but apparently they take up more room.

-John F. Kennedy

Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Expansion, my friend. You are thinking equals, put spatially 3 long branches could fit in a tight space, being long they may expand beyond the packs top to poke out, but lets consider that 9 shafts are then shorter in size but have expanded in gurth, making it much harder to stuff the whole into the pack. The packs dimension of expansion unable to give enough to fit them.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

Nicely done Potaje.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Or every item has a minimum weight.

the branch weighs 2 stones
but the lowest those shafts can weigh is 1.
so you end up with three stones of shafts?

If I have a sawzall or at the least, a very big hammer, I think I can stuff the chair I am sitting on into a backpack. It may not be entirely useable afterwards though.

Quote from: MeTekillot on February 02, 2013, 09:43:34 PM

Yeah, it's just that there aren't really enough values, especially at the lower end of the 'weight' spectrum. But it's tres annoying - I have this problem all the time. But I'd rather deal with it than have the game made 'more realistic' and not be able to carry anything (cause the game generally lets you carry around more stuff than makes sense). But yeah, it'd probably be a pain to fix...unless they can have values that are less than one. :/
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

the answer is obviously to not keep arrows in a backpack,  but in a quiver designed to carry arrows.

Otherwise it ends up looking like a game of pick up sticks with the arrows pointing every which way in the pack and poking through in places and making other things in the pack not sit right....

Quote from: Maso on February 03, 2013, 12:25:59 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on February 02, 2013, 09:43:34 PM

Yeah, it's just that there aren't really enough values, especially at the lower end of the 'weight' spectrum. But it's tres annoying - I have this problem all the time. But I'd rather deal with it than have the game made 'more realistic' and not be able to carry anything (cause the game generally lets you carry around more stuff than makes sense). But yeah, it'd probably be a pain to fix...unless they can have values that are less than one. :/

I don't think this is the case. Staff had posted before that there was a fix to the weight system and though you may see something valued at 1 stone they do not actually weigh one stone. Take feathers into account.

I still believe that my evaluation is a good measure of reasonable realism to the situations explanation. Feasible enough at least in my opinion.
The funny little foreign man

I often hear the jingle to -Riunite on ice- when I read the estate name Reynolte, eve though there ain't no ice in Zalanthas.

QuoteOr every item has a minimum weight.

At one time that was the case...but something like 8 years ago now they fixed it so now weights can be given below 1 stone...my guess is tenths...So, that is no longer the case, No longer do you have a quiver with 10 arrows weighing 10 stone. Now some things have not been updated...like the value skill still has a min range of 1 stone, So something that weighs .1 stone still will show as 1 stone...maybe someday somebody will get on that.

But then, more recently size was added...I think in the last 4 years...And this is where I think you are running into a problem. Likely the size of an arrowshaft is not much less then the branch it came from even though the weight is far lower. Now I don't know what the size value is because that bit of code has never been released and again, skills like value have not been updated to show size...though I wish they did. But, Let us assume your branch has a size of 2...and arrow shafts have a size of 1.5...well, you can see where this goes.

I doubt bugging it will do much at this point...but then, can't hurt either.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: CravenMadness on February 03, 2013, 12:48:39 AM
the answer is obviously to not keep arrows in a backpack,  but in a quiver designed to carry arrows.

Otherwise it ends up looking like a game of pick up sticks with the arrows pointing every which way in the pack and poking through in places and making other things in the pack not sit right....

At what point did you get the impression I was storing arrows in my pack?

-John F. Kennedy

Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

Not sure what we're talking about, honestly.

Sounds like either:

(a) Bug/oversight
(b) System limitation
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I've had a pouch that holds x amount of coins in a single pile, but will not hold the same total if broken into piles.
My theory is that containers have a limit on the number of objects allowable based on their size or some sort of game estimate.
What I'm getting at is you took 3 items that topped off the pack's capacity [or nearly] and made them into 9 items.

Quote from: ponycorns on February 03, 2013, 12:44:52 PM
I've had a pouch that holds x amount of coins in a single pile, but will not hold the same total if broken into piles.
My theory is that containers have a limit on the number of objects allowable based on their size or some sort of game estimate.
What I'm getting at is you took 3 items that topped off the pack's capacity [or nearly] and made them into 9 items.

Yes.  I think this is what X-D was getting at and, so far, makes the most sense.

-John F. Kennedy