Getting to know Arma players personally, vs. "keeping it IG."

Started by Harmless, January 21, 2013, 12:06:01 AM

Please put all your discussion of whether or not it's "a bad idea to get to know the players personally," and or "RL mixing with IG life," and the dangers of OOC communication, as well as the potential benefits of OOC communication (sounds like some of ya'll met your future baby-mommas/baby-daddies) HERE.

My opinion:Arma is a game to me. Kinda like lemmings. It's like Arma is Super Boneyo Land and I whack koopas gurth with my hammers bone swords. Roleplay that reads out like the script to Fist of the North Star. No need to get to know who's on the other end of my crossbow bolt.

Edit: I have had fun playing Day Z with Feco for a bit, and wouldn't mind "meeting" more people to the extent that I play moar games with them. Teamspeaking for the sake of talking is no good, though. I am such a troll that nobody would want to get to "know" me anyway.  ;D
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

First of all:
RGS is full of shit. If he weren't he wouldn't be posting pictures of himself nor would he be on Teamspeak chatting it up with the rest of the out of game socializers. Not meeting people face to face doesn't mean you don't know them.
Hypocrite RGS, you better recognize!

Second:
Some of my best friends in my life I've met on the internet. Some of the people I have met on the internet I trust above some of my family. I think it's all subjective and personal. Not a necessity, not something one should be completely against. It should go on a case by case basis and should be solely the business of those engaging in that.
Meeting someone (in this case) that plays Arm isn't (or shouldn't) necessarily going to effect the IG dynamic and shouldn't automatically scream: "Sharing IC information OOCly".
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

ShaLeah and I don't talk about Armageddon when we converse OOC'ly.

I play her songs on my guitar and she tries to couger me when her husband isn't home.

Sharing IC info via OOC channels isn't kewl.
But the community here is, and it's a lot of fun to interact with them player to player as well as character to character.

I remember fondly the week spent at Ourla's place with Mansa, Potoje and his daddy with various other cameos like Yam, AaronGoulet, ect dropping by. Good times.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Yeah. I don't keep people on AIM or anything like that because the risk of IC/OOC infosharing, in the past on other games, has been too high for me. The game's the game and I like to keep it that way.

But on Teamspeak! Well. I get to talk about adult things to adults, verbally, and brag (or lament) about my kid and talk about sexy men and stuff.

I think I'd probably meet some of you. Sooooome of you.

Probably just Shaleah. Haha. <3 ;)
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

mushashi, you lie, you serenade me THEN I try and get you naked on Skype while my husband is at work.  ::)
boog, I'd invite you up but am homeless until this house is fixed!

I am definitely one of the okay ones to meet, I haven't killed anyone yet. Don't ask me what I -have- done though.
* ShaLeah whistles innocently.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I find that the only thing that a person on the internet can lie about that a person you meet in real life can't lie about is their appearance, and that's stretching it.

It's all good to me.

I've met a good amount of people from Armageddon and think they are great.  Went to my first APM years ago in Houston, had a blast, and then had two mini-APMs with folk at my place when I was staying in Dallas.  Also randomly just got to visit one on one with other ARM players when I was local with them - people like Sephiroto and Belgoikiss.

I do agree that the IC/OOC line gets crossed but that's only as much as the people who are part of that actively want it to. 

It's not a black or white thing unfortunately but dammit I have always said this is the best gaming experience I've ever had and the community is what made it so great.
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Quote from: ShaLeah on January 21, 2013, 12:16:07 AM
First of all:
RGS is full of shit. If he weren't he wouldn't be posting pictures of himself nor would he be on Teamspeak chatting it up with the rest of the out of game socializers. Not meeting people face to face doesn't mean you don't know them.
Hypocrite RGS, you better recognize!

Second:
Some of my best friends in my life I've met on the internet. Some of the people I have met on the internet I trust above some of my family. I think it's all subjective and personal. Not a necessity, not something one should be completely against. It should go on a case by case basis and should be solely the business of those engaging in that.
Meeting someone (in this case) that plays Arm isn't (or shouldn't) necessarily going to effect the IG dynamic and shouldn't automatically scream: "Sharing IC information OOCly".

<3

If you can keep your trap shut about sensitive IC info, whatever works, works.  Friendly and fun!
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: MeTekillot on January 21, 2013, 01:27:47 AM
I find that the only thing that a person on the internet can lie about that a person you meet in real life can't lie about is their appearance, and that's stretching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWdD206eSv0
Quote from: boog
I'm still trying to figure out how all that led to Symphony, naked, squatting in a towel on a busy highway to talk to a therapist

Quote from: FuSoYa on January 21, 2013, 01:43:16 AM
Also randomly just got to visit one on one with other ARM players when I was local with them - people like Sephiroto and Belgoikiss.

I had a blast with LoD when he came over to Japan on business too. The little 1 to 1's are great.

Wouldn't mind meeting SpyGuy either except our two respective island nations might be going to war soon over the senkaku's  ;)
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: musashi on January 21, 2013, 09:29:19 AM
Quote from: FuSoYa on January 21, 2013, 01:43:16 AM
Also randomly just got to visit one on one with other ARM players when I was local with them - people like Sephiroto and Belgoikiss.

I had a blast with LoD when he came over to Japan on business too. The little 1 to 1's are great.

Wouldn't mind meeting SpyGuy either except our two respective island nations might be going to war soon over the senkaku's  ;)

They're called the DiaoYuTais!  Stop being an imperialist musashi!

I like to know who I'm having fun with.  Total anonymity is weird to me.

The most fun I've had involving this game has been talking to other players about the game.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

I almost always regret making OOC contacts with mudders, so I'm reluctant to do so.  But now and then it works out and you have a long-time e-friend who understands you better than most!

Quote from: Is Friday on January 24, 2013, 11:29:53 AM
The most fun I've had involving this game has been talking to other players about the game.

Agreed.  I haven't had anyone to talk to IRL about this game in almost 20 years.  Back then, I had my college roommate, and nothing was more enjoyable about the game than recounting recent events.  It doesn't detract from the game.  It enhances it.

EDIT: On the matter of sharing IC info OOC, I think there are two viable ways of handling it:  1)Don't do it, 2)Do it if you want, but be responsible enough to not act on it IC.  My roommate and I shared plenty of IC info, but never once did we even think about using the OOC info IC. The sharing of info was never about gaining some sort of advantage or exacting revenge.  It was just enjoying talking about it much like enjoying talking about a movie after you've seen it.  Movies are always better when you have someone to share the experience with and to talk about it with after.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."

-John F. Kennedy

I've met some awesome people OOC thanks to this game.  ;D
I have learned that one can, in fact, typo to death.

Quote from: KismeticTuluk is not Inception, the text experience.

I prefer anonymity. Makes it easier to ignore when people don't draw the line of separatism between themselves and their character.

Quote from: Delirium on January 24, 2013, 12:59:35 PM
I prefer anonymity. Makes it easier to ignore when people don't draw the line of separatism between themselves and their character.

That's cause no one likes you anyway  :P

Wait a mnt... don't you have Morg on speed dial? :P

Ha, sort of, yeah. He is the boss of my friend (and ex-boyfriend), and we all live in the same area and tabletop together.

Believe it or not, though, I can count on one hand the times we've talked even vaguely about Armageddon.

I'm not saying I never get to know any of you folks. I just prefer not to know what you're playing when I do, and even then, it's so easy to put two and two together if you talk at all about the game. So... for the most part... I just don't. Unless it's somebody I know for a fact doesn't play any longer (like my ex-boyfriend).

I like (or liked) talking to other Armers a lot for a while. Part of me really missed being almost totally anonymous, though, as keeping that distance made the game more fun for me. Also, you have to be careful because you might meet an Armer and get married to them! Shackled to the old ball and chain!
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Zoltan on January 24, 2013, 02:34:54 PM

I like (or liked) talking to other Armers a lot for a while. Part of me really missed being almost totally anonymous, though, as keeping that distance made the game more fun for me. Also, you have to be careful because you might meet an Armer and get married to them! Shackled to the old ball and chain!

Yeah, I've met several lasting friends (and a couple boyfriends, who went back to being friends) through this community. It just makes it a lot easier to enjoy the story of the play when I don't see all the current cast members running around in the proverbial backstage, complaining about their co-actors or how the props just ain't set up right.

I never chatted much, but I chat even less these days, and find I enjoy the game way more, when I do get to play.

Now if I could just divorce the GDB, I would probably live in happy, ignorant bliss of any of the drama whatsoever.

I've recently had a player lie to me about their appearance, gender, age, and other aspects of their identity. This person continues to misrepresent themselves to the Arma community at large.

This experience has turned me off of OOC interaction and the game in general, though I am starting to play Arma again while refraining from OOC. I do not think I am being dramatic about this matter--lying isn't a good thing to do, and it sucks when you are lied to.

I don't always OOC, but when I do I am honest about who I am.

Quote from: Kaineus on January 24, 2013, 05:34:29 PM

Love this.

Quote from: ShaLeah on January 24, 2013, 05:36:09 PM
Quote from: Kaineus on January 24, 2013, 05:34:29 PM

Love this.

I love you Sha, I think you're one of the most brutally honest people in the community--and you're fucking hilarious for it.