Suggestion for new command "Pace"

Started by Evilone, December 29, 2012, 06:57:36 AM

I bet she has great typing accuracy. Mine is so atrocious.... I would never ever try to type out the full words like that. I use my Numberpad for movement.

February 11, 2013, 08:46:54 PM #51 Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:49:12 PM by Malken
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on February 11, 2013, 08:42:49 PM
I bet she has great typing accuracy. Mine is so atrocious.... I would never ever try to type out the full words like that. I use my Numberpad for movement.

Great typing accuracy or not, I would never do that or can't find any reasons to do it. I worked for Fedex for five years as a data entry clerk, so my typing is pretty above average I'm sure.

omg, yolo brololo, use the numpad.

Sorry for the derail, I'm just  ??? as to why someone would do that to themselves, if that's the case. Feel free to personally tell me why, Lizzie, if that's really the case :)

/derail
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Malken you're talking to someone who has never updated their sound/video drivers. I think it's safe to assume the answer is "because I've always done it like that"

Sometimes changing is harder than doing what you already do.

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 11, 2013, 05:30:58 PM
Maybe I'm just ... stubborn

Problem found.  You've offered no counterpoints, only a lazy appeal to tradition, which is a logical fallacy.  I offered many reasons as to how and why it would be a benefit to the game.  It is now your turn to point out how they could be misused, or how they hurt the game in other, unmentioned ways.  That is how discussions work.  If you'd like to actually address the point, I welcome it.  However, you've done nothing but rail against this potential change simply because it is change, and attempt to shame people for playing the game in a way that is supported by staff (as mentioned above, I'm almost completely positive that staff has straight up advocated speedwalking when dealing with NPCs, because they won't stop to pose.) 

Here this out, this theoretical situation, I want to know what you think.

The *Beep*bringer is heading your way, and it is slower than all mounts present at running speed. For some reason like a blinding sandstorm you need to stick together. Using a version of pace to automatically follow the one person who happens to know how to lose the insane mob coming after you, you attempt to keep up with their speed no matter what. It would be like reverse pace. You'd all be going as fast as you could, not as fast as you would be scattering in all directions, but you'd get a boost to not losing somebody that would be worth the risk.

I can't think of situations apart from trying to keep everyone together and fleeing where it could be used though, or any other versions of a pace command.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

Quote from: Marauder Moe on February 11, 2013, 11:52:42 PM
No, I'm done with you for now.

As you wish, let me know when you wish to defend your side.  I'm sorry I upset you.

Yes some of us type out whole commands.
Mine is more as a habit from having to write things out, and playing past muds/mushes where there were no shortcuts.
And my old laptop didn't have a numpad.

And you can't do directional emotes with the numpad...
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.

I don't know if we've advocated speed walking. If anything we've advocated not speed walking. I suppose where NPC's are concerned, it is code versus code -- The Gith aren't going to appreciate your flowery emotes or give you a second to catch your breath, etc.
Eurynomos
Senior Storyteller
ArmageddonMUD Staff

Quote from: Eurynomos on February 14, 2013, 06:28:50 PM
I suppose where NPC's are concerned, it is code versus code -- The Gith aren't going to appreciate your flowery emotes or give you a second to catch your breath, etc.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about, and the situation that this code could potentially aid in, as per my examples.

You gotta remember this game is as much about losing as it is about convenience, joy, success, and winning. If every way in which we could lose were taken away it'd be boring. constant success leads to boredom and burnout.

I understand and support resistance to ideas like pace. I happen to like speedwalking now that I have mastered the stop command, so I support this, but I don't feel strongly either.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

I'm against it because I believe that some of the code wonkiness makes up for the general lack of unsafety that should exist. Its already too safe to walk across the world. Some of the unexpected code wonkiness at least keeps its potentially deadly.

If code implementations to make the wastes more dangerous kept up to speed with code implementations to ease traveling, then sure, I'd be all for this.
Quote from: SynthesisI always thought of jozhals as like...reptilian wallabies.

Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWitI pictured them as cute, glittery mini-velociraptors.
Kinda like a My Little Pony that could eat your face.